Droid X battery problems discovered!!!!!!!

n0m0n

Reaction score
In this thread it was posted that you can use Locale to set a condition that the GPS will automatically turn on if Maps, Nav, etc app's are opened.
I have looked in Locale as well as the plugins available but have not been able to find or figure out what or how to do this.
Could someone please direct how to do this?

Thanks

rolandct

Reaction score
I guess I took turning GPS off for granted, coming from WinMo I assumed you had to turn it off. If after 2.2 you can leave it on and it won't drain unless actively in use by an app that would be a bonus. However I find leaving only the location service running is sufficient for all my non-navigating location needs.

nfj79

Reaction score
I only turn GPS on when i need it and i have my WiFi always on. My battery is at 50% and its been on this charge for 1D 2h 19m 54s. I have no complaints about the Droid X battery life.
attachment.php

oze4

Reaction score
ive been running some tests on my X and battery life is kind of an issue still, im working on draining battery and fully charging it a couple times, ive tried the *228 and my cell standby is low (4%) how did you get such good battery life? what kind of usage are you doing (internet, email, gps etc) also what widgets are you using?

thanks so much

nfj79

Reaction score
ive been running some tests on my X and battery life is kind of an issue still, im working on draining battery and fully charging it a couple times, ive tried the *228 and my cell standby is low (4%) how did you get such good battery life? what kind of usage are you doing (internet, email, gps etc) also what widgets are you using?

thanks so much

I have my default brightness set to 8%. Running on Power Save Mode with GPS turned OFF and WiFi ON. I send/receive about 50 texts in a day. Some web surfing and streaming videos from youtube. Constantly getting email and facebook updates.

Big Dawg 23

Reaction score
I only turn GPS on when i need it and i have my WiFi always on. My battery is at 50% and its been on this charge for 1D 2h 19m 54s. I have no complaints about the Droid X battery life.
attachment.php

I am jealous. My X will not do that.

As for GPS, this sucks the life out of battery. One of the biggest issues is my camera with Geo-tagging on will continue to lock on the satellite despite me closing the camera. I can even kill it via Task Killer and it is still on. So I have to toggle it off with the power control widget.

Now I will try some of these tricks to see if it improves. The best I can get is about 12-14 hours.

kbrosnihan

Reaction score
My Droid X won't go to sleep. If you download Spare Parts from the Market you can see that it is Running 100% of the time and not sleeping. It will say something like "Time without sleep 5hrs 34mins"

My battery lasts about 6 hours if I'm luck. Plus the phone freezes constantly- Couldnt make a call yesterday cuz it wouldnt load contacts...

---- any fix for this?

kbrosnihan

Reaction score

Hey: nfj79 Have you loaded Spare Parts on your phone? Does your phone go to sleep? You may have one of the few phones that IS working correctly. Can you check to see if your phone actually sleeps.

Using Spare Parts (from Android Market) - My phone is running 100% of the time and does not go into sleep mode?!!? Does yours? Yes even when I press the lock button, the screen goes off, but it still says I'm not getting any "sleep" and my battery dies in 5-6 hours of little use. Let us know!

Rishi P

Reaction score
sorry about post before, but are all posts here aproved by moderator before they show up?

Anyway, I got this phone about a week ago and of course the first thing the guy at Verizon did was install ATK. After reading around here I took that thing off right away and noticed my battery life improve. I had my battery setting on saver mode and did not know this has a lag on email delivery time until I read this thread.

So what I am getting from this thread is to keep GPS and all that other stuff off...which I have been doing since day one...but I'm still not quite happy with this battery.

I see some of you saying facebook widget kills it and from the battery meter app it looks as if thats the case with me. Now, does that mean I should just simply get rid off the facebook app i have downloaded and just use the browser for facebook or what?

Thanks for all help, and I am glad I found this forum!

nfj79

Reaction score
Answer's in bold

Hey: nfj79 Have you loaded Spare Parts on your phone?
No. I just installed it.
Does your phone go to sleep?
What exactly is sleep mode? Stupid question I know. About 30 seconds of not using my X, the screen turns black and I have to hit the Home button to wake it up.
You may have one of the few phones that IS working correctly. Can you check to see if your phone actually sleeps. How do i check? I'm still a newb on this phone.

Using Spare Parts (from Android Market) - My phone is running 100% of the time and does not go into sleep mode?!!? Does yours? Yes even when I press the lock button, the screen goes off, but it still says I'm not getting any "sleep" and my battery dies in 5-6 hours of little use. Let us know!

tmaxx445

Reaction score
My phone battery seems to do pretty good. I just got it last week and have not run it down past 70% until today. It is currently at 50% now, and I have been using it since I got up this morning. It has been going for 17h 46min. I have it on power saver, and have made about 6 5min phone calls with full 3g coverage. My wifi has been on and connected the whole time. I have used wifi for email and web browser for about 45min total today. I get email alerts a few times an hour, so it is pushing my email to me fine with it in sleep mode. I will leave it on tonight, and use it tomorrow until it dies. I will report back, and I have just installed spare parts and it is showing that my phone is sleeping. I only used GPS one for about 15min with Google navigator today. Will report back later.

tmaxx445

Last edited:

kbrosnihan

Reaction score
I'm sorry, I've already had to switch back to my :blackberry: Storm 2 :icon_evil: But using Spare Parts, it actually shows you more information about your Droid X and there is an area where you can see either how long your phone has been awake or has been running and mine never showed it going to sleep even with the backlight going off... Sounds like you're a lucky one, I hope my 2nd Droid X works like yours does! (VZW can't even give me a straight answer on when it will arrive)

Super Turtleman

Reaction score
What exactly does dialing *228 do? I've read about it but haven't done it. Will it help with battery life?

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
What exactly does dialing *228 do? I've read about it but haven't done it. Will it help with battery life?

As I understand it updates your phone's "knowledge" of how to connect to Verizon. I feel that it helped greatly with my battery life. Before doing it, my "Cell standby" was very high.

Between this and toggling GPS off, I am quite happy with the X battery.

I think I had the cell standby problem because when i activated my phone it said there was an error activating. I didn't think much of it because the phone seems to work fine. I eventually called *228 and ended up activating it again. By the way, I have read that Verizon recommends that you update via *228 once/month!

nfj79

Reaction score
I'm sorry, I've already had to switch back to my :blackberry: Storm 2 :icon_evil: But using Spare Parts, it actually shows you more information about your Droid X and there is an area where you can see either how long your phone has been awake or has been running and mine never showed it going to sleep even with the backlight going off... Sounds like you're a lucky one, I hope my 2nd Droid X works like yours does! (VZW can't even give me a straight answer on when it will arrive)

Alrighty then! I found it! My X does go into sleep mode. Battery usage shows that my X is running 34.0% of the time. Best of luck to you! Hope you find out soon!