Droid Wifi and Battery Issues

markwebb

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am a new member as of a few days ago.

I am also a new Droid owner as of a few days ago.

Now that I have used the Droid for a few days, I have some issues and I did search this forum for some answers, though some were not crystal clear.

True, I am still experimenting with settings as I "get to know my Droid."

Based on the tips and tricks posted on here and on the web, my first impression confirms the Droid drains power exceedingly fast. At approximately noon today, I recharged to 50% power while disabling wireless, GPS and bluetooth capabilities. The Droid depleted by 4:30 PM without any usage by me!

With that being said, I notice the official Droid manual and Tips and Tricks manual says to set "Get New email" manually (right now it syncs constantly) to help conserve power. I can't find that option. Does anyone know where that setting is?

Importantly, I cannot connect to any Wifi. Nada. I can't connect here at home (I have seen threads of this issue with routers, etc) and my town has a library with open Wifi. Nada. It recognizes the network, I "tap" to connect and indicates it is available but still won't connect. Other open, non-secured locations near me won't connect. Is there another wireless setting I have missed? I have airplane mode shut off. I have Droid set to notify me of wireles networks (when I activate Wifi mode). I thought my settings were correctly established on the Droid.

So far, I like the Droid. But, if I can't connect wirelessly, it is giving me second thoughts. Should I exchange it?

I appreciate any and all comments and suggestions. Again, I have read tons of info online in conjunction with the manual. The wireless issue is the most troubling to me. I can accept the battery drain (I have ordered an extra battery plus car charger plus extra charger for work..though it seems silly to spend all that on a product which needs constant "feeding.").

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
for the email its under settings>email push settings. change it to what you want.

for the wifi, thats making no sense. I really dont know what to suggest other than a hard reset to see if something got programmed wrong. or take it into VZWs store to see if one of the tech guys could do it there.

OP
markwebb

markwebb

Reaction score
for the email its under settings>email push settings. change it to what you want.

for the wifi, thats making no sense. I really dont know what to suggest other than a hard reset to see if something got programmed wrong. or take it into VZWs store to see if one of the tech guys could do it there.

Thanks, but nowhere is that push email setting option to be found ..or I can't find it. Or, should I tell it not to sync with Gmail? :(

if worse comes to worst, I will try a hard reset or take it back to VZW.

Last edited:
OP
markwebb

markwebb

Reaction score
Ok, I went out on a limb, downloaded the 2.1 update file and installed it before the OTA.

Worked flawlessly and .... drum roll....WIFI now connects, at least on open, unsecured connections. I can't get it to work at home on a WPA-PSK secure connection, but no biggie as I don't need wireless at home.

Moreover, the battery is now not draining as quickly and I have used the Droid moderately these past 3 hours. Otherwise, pre-2.1 and the battery would have drained by 30-40% w/o usage!

As of 1 Pm today, Thursday, battery still had 60% charge. HUGE improvement.

So far so good on this 2.1 update!:icon_ banana:

I would like to figure out why the home wifi won't connect, though.

Last edited: