1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Froyo Wireless Issue

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid' started by Riffin, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Riffin

Riffin New Member

Anyone else having trouble with maintaining a wireless connection with Froyo? Since the update, I can't hold a wifi connection. Wifi is solid on the other devices in my house - just not my Droid?
  2. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad

No problem here. I'm on my Wifi right now and have been most of the day.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  3. firejuan

firejuan New Member

I share your pain. My wifi was great with 2.1, but after the update it will no longer connect to my home network even when I am sitting on top of the router.
  4. M.Opaliski

M.Opaliski New Member

No issues to speak of with connectivity on Day 1 of update, been on Wifi most of the day with no problems at all, ran out for a few minutes earlier to grab smokes and had no issues using 3G to either.
  5. KnighthawkLS1

KnighthawkLS1 New Member

Do you have security enabled on your router? If so, delete your router info from your phone and recreate the "profile" see if that helps.
  6. firejuan

firejuan New Member

I tried removing network from phone then added it back but wifi is still not working.
  7. Riffin

Riffin New Member

Still having problems with wireless. Connection cycles on an off. Tried just about everything - next stop the Verizon store to see if it's a hardware issue. Looking forward to that. Thanks for feedback.
  8. acles003

acles003 New Member

I have had the same wifi issue since 2.2. My phone also gets really hot (reached 109 degrees today) and my battery life went from 14hrs to 4 or 5 hours in a day. Verizon told me to do a factory reset or bring to a store to reinstall 2.2.
  9. Arkainzeye

Arkainzeye New Member

No issues at all.
  10. Riffin

Riffin New Member

Just tried a factory reset. No luck. After reset, while my apps were downloading, wireless flicked in and out and downloads were frequently paused and restarted. Very painful to watch.
  11. Riffin

Riffin New Member

Last update:

Spoke with Verizon tech support. They directed me to "jump start" the phone by calling a phone number that enabled a "programming menu" screen. I was told to select AKey and enter a 27 digit #. Then to selct Authentication and confirm the CDMA setting. While this gave me something to do, it did not fix the problem.

Next call to tech support resulted in a new phone to be sent out. The tech wasn't sure if it would have 2.1 or 2.2 on it. (At this point, without wireless working and no Flash yet, I'd prefer 2.1)

The tech guys seemed a little exhausted with Froyo problems and acknowledged that the wireless issue was a known though infrequent issue with the update. New phone to arrive on Monday.
  12. chemprofjoe

chemprofjoe New Member

wifi as well

I had the same issue and Verizon dispatched a replacement phone. The fact they did so without much hassle suggests they are having a significant number of problems. New phone arrived with 2.1. I did update to 2.2 over the air. Now, with Froyo, wireless works just fine. Several colleagues upgraded to 2.2 with no problem with wifi. So, it isn't simply 2.2 but some combination of hardware with 2.2.
  13. mantis5

mantis5 New Member

Also unable to connect with wifi since Froyo. The Droid can't see my home router at all. At work, it connects to the router but can't send or receive any data. Guess I'll be contacting VZW for a replacement. Not pleased.

update: it suddenly started working with my router at work. I guess I'll wait and see if it starts working with my home router, too, before I start trying to swap it out for another unit.
  14. therock

therock New Member

Same here.
  15. haproot

haproot New Member

I have a major issue with mine, It constantly cycles off and on. Seems to coincide with moving a lot of data like watching youtube. Recently just got a dlink DGL4500 gaming router, and the issue got much worse for me. The wireless had always been flaky. When my original dlink dgl4300 took a crap, (which i had wifi issues with) i threw my backup netgear cheapo router in, and wifi seemed to be fine with that. Now after setting up my new router its more horrible than it has ever been.

My tech level is fairly high I do this kind of stuff for a living, and don't have any trouble with any other devices on my wireless.
  16. dirtysanchez

dirtysanchez New Member

My Two Cents,

I have also noticed this issue with ALL 2.2 based on the newest release of Froyo Roms( older versions of Froyo didnt seem have this issue). I have found that power cycling my wireless hardware allowed for my phone to connect to the wireless & that has been the only way i have been able to connect to the home router, I added an AP to check if it was an IP issue (too Many wireless connection at one time) but it also has the same outcome. I convinced its less of a hardware issue and more of a software issue. (i say that with little to back me up but feelings):)

And im not surprised that VZ LAZY tech department would throw a new phone at you insted of trying to figure out what the conflict might be ( No Linux Experts on Staff)

on a side note: this might be a way to get a droid 2 under replacement with this issue. Just food for thought :icon_ banana:
  17. Riffin

Riffin New Member

FWIW the Verizon tech support did a pretty good job responding to this issue - which was caused by a yet to be defined Google and Moto Droid 2.2 update glitch (which evidently neither is officially acknowledging). I went through level 1, 2 and Associate Director tech support and was satisfied with the process, interaction and ultimate resolution - which is a new/different (hopefully better) model droid phone.

I can be a very difficult customer at times like these, and I was surprised Verizon stepped up to support their customer rather than playing a hardware, software blame game.
  18. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

This next update, FRG22D is suppose to have some driver update for WiFi. I have constantly hand wifi issues on my Droid, and I'm not sure I can get this update because I'm rooted and I don't want to lose root. I hope somebody does something to let rooted people get some form of this like they did for FRG01B. I really want the updated wireless drivers.
  19. dirtysanchez

dirtysanchez New Member

I with you Hook and waiting on the next release to fix this issue (but not holding my breath :beer2:)

to me this is apart of the moding thing sometime the newest & Greatest has some issues, im not bound by the wifi (but nice to have) & I want the newest release so i guess this is why all those ROM come with the warning "Not Responsible for Problems" at the beginning of each of them.
  20. haproot

haproot New Member

I am having much better results so far with using AES cypher rather than TKIP in my Dlink DGL 4500 router.

At that point my wireless stayed connected, and didn't drop at all. I noticed that the youtube app was being flaky, complaining of no network and such, yet my other connected apps (ie: browser, engadget, google talk, etc) were fine. I went into my app manger (quick system info) and cleared all the data and cache from the youtube app.

Tried again and then youtube worked flawlessly, logged into youtube, which it promted me to use "haproot@youtube.com" then bam, youtube app was hammered again, complaining about no network. So I signed out with the menu option within the app. And what do you know, it worked again. So I then signed in again except using the add account option and re-typing in my user name and password. Then it worked flawlessly. I watched probably ten high quality apps in youtube. All the while with no hickups or disconnects.

Soooo, it seems for me, the magic setting was using AES with WPA/WPA2 on the router side of things rather than TKIP.

Will post back if the issue comes back again, I will be testing tonight after work.