1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Droid vs iPhone

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by Greybullet11, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Greybullet11

Greybullet11 New Member

Do you think Droid is better than the iPhone??:rating10: I personally think the Droid is better looking, and the display is a lot more crisp and brighter.
  2. Sam

Sam Premium Member Premium Member

You'll find lots of discussion on that topic if you search around a bit. But for the most part, it seems we are all in agreement. Better? Probably, it really depends on what exactly you are talking about.. By how much? Well now we are splitting hairs. Both devices are fantastic, but frankly I'm just happy to see some hype around something other than the iPhone.
  3. Greybullet11

Greybullet11 New Member

well i have a lot of friends that bought the iPhone and it seems that every time we meet they can't stop talking about how great the iPhone and Mac are and "i'm a leader not a follower" you know what i mean, anyways i decided to go with PC :) and something new and fresh the "Droid" so i just like to hear what people have to say about these two great gadgets.
  4. JhankG

JhankG New Member

I prefer Macs to PCs and the Droid to the iPhone. Go figure.
  5. SandsUSA

SandsUSA New Member

When I purchased my Droid, I was at the end of a line with 4 other groups of people. They were all parents buying iPhones for their teenagers. I don't want to be a member of that club.

I don't want to develop apps on a Mac. Or have my applications 'approved' by Apple. I don't want to be a member of that club.

I've been on AT&T. And I don't want to be a member of that club again.

The Droid may not be perfect, but it's a club I can live with.
  6. zakany

zakany New Member

According to AT&T's map they use in their local advertising, I'd lose their 3G network about ten miles west of here. Therefore, I bought a Droid instead of an iPhone. Nothing more complicated than that.

Camping last year, with a storm approaching, I had to walk a hundred yards into the woods to make a call on AT&T. A fellow camper on another network brought up animated weather maps showing the approaching front.

The decision was rather easy to make.
  7. korp

korp New Member

Its because a ton of the mac followers are extremely loyal once they hop on the bandwagon. They like simplicity and obviously the simpler something gets the less it can actually do. Not to say the iPhone isn't a really cool device but I would hate being limited to that extent .... love my Droid and the android os.
  8. The Shredder

The Shredder New Member

The Droid has the guts and the iphone has the sex. If you like tech you will side with the droid. If you care how you look.. well you side with the iphone.
  9. voodoodaddy

voodoodaddy New Member

If the iPhone were on vzw I'd have that. I got a Blackberry storm because at the time it was the most "iPhone-like" phone vzw had. Boy was that a stretch.

I got the Droid because I hated the storm and, again, it's there as an iPhone alternative. I like Droid, but if I had a choice it would be iPhone.
  10. Greybullet11

Greybullet11 New Member

LMAO that one's funny
  11. Greybullet11

Greybullet11 New Member

I'm with you on that one! I'm sure that a lot of them spoiled brats got the iPhone GS this christmas! i rather stand out of the crowd with my :motdroidvert: lol
  12. RW-1

RW-1 New Member

This topic is tiring, the two devices are fundamentally different in target market and capabilities.

Everyone makes comparisons to the iPhone...

I too, coming from a techie background and not wanting to get tied to apple (let's face it, you get tied to iTunes, only apple approved Alps, etc.) skipped on that when it came out.

I wanted a good first smartphone, and know that during the time I have it that I can do what I want with it, having an open source OS is a huge difference and a plus in my book.

Then, being on VZ means that when play time is over, I can not only place a call, but maintain it!

So I'm loving my Droid!
  13. nolanandy

nolanandy New Member

IMO, Droid is slightly better device than iphone in term of hardware. However, Droid is just released where the latest iphone is almost a year old. With today technologies, things move fast, a few months would make a huge different. You have to agree that without iphone, BB is probably still the best smartphone, and google OS won't be any closed to what it is today. Hats off to Apple for releasing iphone. It's probably one of the best invention in the last decade.
  14. luckmylife

luckmylife New Member

Just to show how good VZW network is....

This past summer, I took a backpacking trip to Mt. Rogers in Virginia. Three days into the mountains I feel my backpack vibrating. My phone must have turned itself on, but it started receiving emails and text messages, and on our lunch break I got a call from my dad. Out in the middle of nowhere!
  15. ldimick

ldimick New Member

The iPhone is a great appliance. The Droid is a mini computer. The iPhone is a TV dinner. The Droid is a fully stocked pantry.
  16. boatman2220

boatman2220 New Member

Lots of people love Apple and the simple way things work with their products. They are smooth. I've never used a Mac simply because when I started looking at computers there wasn't lots of compatible software out and what was for the Mac was more expensive than the software for a PC. Yes, I know there were things there to do most things. Most of the Graphic Artists use Macs as do other professionals. The Iphone same thing simple, easy to use, smooth and it was the thing to have for lots of people to have. Thus the I'm not a Princess, I'm a Robot commercial. If Luke Wilson lived some places other than HollyWood he'd have a Verizon phone. ( Maybe he does but keeps it hidden when he has to call ) That would be a photo to sell, Luke using the Droid to make a phone call. :icon_ banana:
  17. korp

korp New Member

The latest iPhone is not almost a year old.... it was released in July and the Droid in November ... only 3-4 months .. now its about a half year old but they didn't really change much compared to the old versions ... especially in the os ... now they can do videos and send mms whoop de doo.

It really depends on what you use the phone for. Many companies especially using exchange have been setup for easy blackberry access because its been around for a while and handles email well with push on any account ... if your ok with using gmail you can have your emails pushed just forward them to your gmail ... instantly see them. Stability and business features are great on blackberry but it lacks in other areas. The iPhone has pushed competition to where its at now so yes its a good thing but do not count google out ... remember this is the company that revolutionized internet search.

There will still be multiple target markets though because there still is that group of people that want easy ... I personally want to make it my own with customization.
  18. TimChgo9

TimChgo9 New Member

I am a gadget geek... always have been. I think I got bitten by that bug, when I got my Atari 2600 for Christmas, 30 years ago, this past..... Ever since then if it bleeps, blinks, dings, or whatever, I am in love with it.

However, I do like devices that can be modified, beyond what the manufacturer intended. I was a Linux user for a brief period of time, but, having a family, and being out of the IT industry, I didn't have much use for a Linux box around here anymore, so, it's all Windows.. (yeah, I know)

I'll admit, when I saw the iPhone, I was sort of ga-ga'ed by it. I thought... "damn, that's impressive, look what this thing can DO"...... My brother and his wife both have iPhones, and while there are tons of apps, the phone seems limited, in some way. It's like Apple is saying "We are making this device do everything you want, so long as we approve of it".

When my son offered to get me a smart-phone for Christmas, and since he is a Verizon customer, I thought, well, let's see what they have. I knew the Droid had arrived, and thought I would take a look at that. I played with a Droid, and went to that AT&T store to look at the iPhone. The girlfriend has AT&T, and offered to help my son buy an iPhone if that's what I wanted. After playing with both, I went with the Droid. There is something so "un-iPhone" about the Droid. It's a more enjoyable device in my opinion, plus it has the slide out keyboard, (even though it's a bit clunky) Also, the fact that the OS is open source opens the potential for this device.

Also, calling the Droid a "phone" is a bit of a misnomer. It's really a pocket computer that can make phone calls, in my opinion.

It think the Droid will make more inroads into market share. It will be the "serioius" device for people, who want performance as well as a completely customizable phone, that they can tailor do do exactly what they need it to do. I don't see the droid appealing to the under 25 set like the iPhone does. It seems like every other kid in my son's high school has an iPhone. I see the Droid appealing to the 30 and over crowd.... but then, what do I know. :)
  19. droidilac

droidilac New Member

I have to say I agree with timchgo9.

I also thought the iPhone was somewhat cool. Unfortunately I never liked iTunes or ipods. I don't know why. Maybe cause everybody and their moms had one.

I also love being able to customize my mini phone enabled computer my way. You have to love the open OS also.
  20. spacehopper51

spacehopper51 New Member

I agree with most of the posts here in different ways.

I am a lifetime Mac user. I never liked Windows, and doubt I ever will prefer it to an Apple OS. Some of that comes from the ease of use, but it also comes from the factor of being "different." Although Mac's are picking up more (which is a good thing, no doubt), and having one isn't exactly different anymore, the user experience is still more enjoyable to me. I love iTunes, and I love the iPod line, including the iPod Touch.

However, I feel that the factor of difference is what really gets me with Droid. Not only is it more of a unique device (and the Android OS as a whole), but it is definitely not something that all the "n00bs," so to speak, can just jump right in and get the whole experience. That is the main thing I have always enjoyed being a Mac guy from the start. I was always the tech-pioneer around my friends, and with the Droid, I am definitely that again.

The fact that Apple has to approve the specific applications that go on the Store isn't really a bother to me, but the fact that there is no ability to side-load applications and no ability for 3rd party OS-level development is what bothers me. Sure, there is jailbreaking that works fine, as I have done it on my iPod Touch, but it just doesn't compare to Android 2.0.

The notifications system in Android is far superior to that in iPhone OS. The fact that you can manage the system files within the OS is definitely also appealing. I have recently just loaded a beta version of Swype onto my Droid, and this truly is an example of both pioneering technology as well as embracing 3rd party development. Even more, the fact that in Android, there is a definite "Back" option at all times, and there is an "Options" function within every app and every aspect of the phone is what really pulled me in. With iPhone, even hardcore users complain about having to always go back to the home screen for everything, but in Android, you manage Application level settings with one simple button, always.

I could continue for days about why Android is great, but what it comes down to is that I feel Apple designed the iPhone exactly as they marketed it originally - "The greatest iPod ever." To me, it is in essence, a brilliant multimedia device with phone capabilities. The Droid, however is a mobile computing device with phone capabilities. If you want to be able to tinker with your gadgets and make everything exactly how you want, without really even worrying about hacking, or rooting it, the Android wins.

Go Android if you want to be different and experimental and be part of the Year of the Robot. iPhone isn't going to lose popularity due to it's ease of use, but for hardcore users, there is only one option, and that is most definitely Droid.