Droid vs iPhone

boatman2220

Reaction score
Lots of people love Apple and the simple way things work with their products. They are smooth. I've never used a Mac simply because when I started looking at computers there wasn't lots of compatible software out and what was for the Mac was more expensive than the software for a PC. Yes, I know there were things there to do most things. Most of the Graphic Artists use Macs as do other professionals. The Iphone same thing simple, easy to use, smooth and it was the thing to have for lots of people to have. Thus the I'm not a Princess, I'm a Robot commercial. If Luke Wilson lived some places other than HollyWood he'd have a Verizon phone. ( Maybe he does but keeps it hidden when he has to call ) That would be a photo to sell, Luke using the Droid to make a phone call. :icon_ banana:

korp

Reaction score
IMO, Droid is slightly better device than iphone in term of hardware. However, Droid is just released where the latest iphone is almost a year old. With today technologies, things move fast, a few months would make a huge different. You have to agree that without iphone, BB is probably still the best smartphone, and google OS won't be any closed to what it is today. Hats off to Apple for releasing iphone. It's probably one of the best invention in the last decade.

The latest iPhone is not almost a year old.... it was released in July and the Droid in November ... only 3-4 months .. now its about a half year old but they didn't really change much compared to the old versions ... especially in the os ... now they can do videos and send mms whoop de doo.

It really depends on what you use the phone for. Many companies especially using exchange have been setup for easy blackberry access because its been around for a while and handles email well with push on any account ... if your ok with using gmail you can have your emails pushed just forward them to your gmail ... instantly see them. Stability and business features are great on blackberry but it lacks in other areas. The iPhone has pushed competition to where its at now so yes its a good thing but do not count google out ... remember this is the company that revolutionized internet search.

There will still be multiple target markets though because there still is that group of people that want easy ... I personally want to make it my own with customization.

TimChgo9

Reaction score
I am a gadget geek... always have been. I think I got bitten by that bug, when I got my Atari 2600 for Christmas, 30 years ago, this past..... Ever since then if it bleeps, blinks, dings, or whatever, I am in love with it.

However, I do like devices that can be modified, beyond what the manufacturer intended. I was a Linux user for a brief period of time, but, having a family, and being out of the IT industry, I didn't have much use for a Linux box around here anymore, so, it's all Windows.. (yeah, I know)

I'll admit, when I saw the iPhone, I was sort of ga-ga'ed by it. I thought... "damn, that's impressive, look what this thing can DO"...... My brother and his wife both have iPhones, and while there are tons of apps, the phone seems limited, in some way. It's like Apple is saying "We are making this device do everything you want, so long as we approve of it".

When my son offered to get me a smart-phone for Christmas, and since he is a Verizon customer, I thought, well, let's see what they have. I knew the Droid had arrived, and thought I would take a look at that. I played with a Droid, and went to that AT&T store to look at the iPhone. The girlfriend has AT&T, and offered to help my son buy an iPhone if that's what I wanted. After playing with both, I went with the Droid. There is something so "un-iPhone" about the Droid. It's a more enjoyable device in my opinion, plus it has the slide out keyboard, (even though it's a bit clunky) Also, the fact that the OS is open source opens the potential for this device.

Also, calling the Droid a "phone" is a bit of a misnomer. It's really a pocket computer that can make phone calls, in my opinion.

It think the Droid will make more inroads into market share. It will be the "serioius" device for people, who want performance as well as a completely customizable phone, that they can tailor do do exactly what they need it to do. I don't see the droid appealing to the under 25 set like the iPhone does. It seems like every other kid in my son's high school has an iPhone. I see the Droid appealing to the 30 and over crowd.... but then, what do I know. :)

droidilac

Reaction score
I have to say I agree with timchgo9.

I also thought the iPhone was somewhat cool. Unfortunately I never liked iTunes or ipods. I don't know why. Maybe cause everybody and their moms had one.

I also love being able to customize my mini phone enabled computer my way. You have to love the open OS also.

spacehopper51

Reaction score
I agree with most of the posts here in different ways.

I am a lifetime Mac user. I never liked Windows, and doubt I ever will prefer it to an Apple OS. Some of that comes from the ease of use, but it also comes from the factor of being "different." Although Mac's are picking up more (which is a good thing, no doubt), and having one isn't exactly different anymore, the user experience is still more enjoyable to me. I love iTunes, and I love the iPod line, including the iPod Touch.

However, I feel that the factor of difference is what really gets me with Droid. Not only is it more of a unique device (and the Android OS as a whole), but it is definitely not something that all the "n00bs," so to speak, can just jump right in and get the whole experience. That is the main thing I have always enjoyed being a Mac guy from the start. I was always the tech-pioneer around my friends, and with the Droid, I am definitely that again.

The fact that Apple has to approve the specific applications that go on the Store isn't really a bother to me, but the fact that there is no ability to side-load applications and no ability for 3rd party OS-level development is what bothers me. Sure, there is jailbreaking that works fine, as I have done it on my iPod Touch, but it just doesn't compare to Android 2.0.

The notifications system in Android is far superior to that in iPhone OS. The fact that you can manage the system files within the OS is definitely also appealing. I have recently just loaded a beta version of Swype onto my Droid, and this truly is an example of both pioneering technology as well as embracing 3rd party development. Even more, the fact that in Android, there is a definite "Back" option at all times, and there is an "Options" function within every app and every aspect of the phone is what really pulled me in. With iPhone, even hardcore users complain about having to always go back to the home screen for everything, but in Android, you manage Application level settings with one simple button, always.

I could continue for days about why Android is great, but what it comes down to is that I feel Apple designed the iPhone exactly as they marketed it originally - "The greatest iPod ever." To me, it is in essence, a brilliant multimedia device with phone capabilities. The Droid, however is a mobile computing device with phone capabilities. If you want to be able to tinker with your gadgets and make everything exactly how you want, without really even worrying about hacking, or rooting it, the Android wins.

Go Android if you want to be different and experimental and be part of the Year of the Robot. iPhone isn't going to lose popularity due to it's ease of use, but for hardcore users, there is only one option, and that is most definitely Droid.

G8TR

Reaction score
I bought an iPhone just over a year ago, because I like being connected to the people and the web when I want. Not having to be tied to a computer when I was traveling was supposed to be a big plus. What I found out, not quickly enough, was that what I had was the greatest Ipod ever. Most of the time, if I was outside of a major city I couldn't receive an AT&T signal, couldn't get phone calls, email, and certainly couldn't search the web. When I would pass through an area that AT&T covers my phone would suddenly receive 58 emails and many missed phone calls with messages that had to be returned. I couldn't check for restaurants nearby or local areas of interest. I was stuck with a music player.
When the Droid debuted on Nov. 6 I happened to be in Las Vegas on business and I was at Verizon when the doors opened that day and now carry my droid everywhere. I usually leave my iPhone at home, even for days at a time. Can't wait until contract is up so I can dump the piece of junk.

iiimegamaniii

Reaction score
Even after most of my co-workers jumped on the iDrone bandwagon, I never gave it a thought to switch providers due to all of the troubles they were having with AT&T. I knew in-time Verizon would have a good phone, and am more than happy I waited.

- Mega

Slothead

Reaction score
I have and use both. Right now the iPhone is still in the lead (more and better apps, and easier to use), but I am hoping that the Driod will mature quickly because I really don't like AT&T's network. The battery in the Droid already lasts longer, and I have a spare that I can change if it doesn't.

imiller913

Reaction score
I think the droid is better and I couldn't think of using AT&T's network just couldn't do it.

mpenda

Reaction score
it means a much greater variety of reasonably priced apps not under the thumb of Big Brother. It also means you'll get some more creative apps from the greater pool of clever application writers.

crspang

Reaction score
I'm not sure what it is but I just have this "thing" against Apple. I think its Apple business philosophy that just turns me off. I used a powerbook from 11/06 to 12/08 (I bought it used too) and it was good at what it did, but I never felt like I couldn't live without a Mac.

springer01

Reaction score
I had the original iphone had it for two years, I moved at&t service is nonexistent here. My contract was up so I got the droid the day after it was released. At first I really was impressed with the droid and loved it. After having it for over a month now I kinda miss my iphone, the iphone had amost zero problems, my droid has had numerous small problems while not anything major although I did exchange my first one because of not being able to end a call (black screen). If at&t had good coverage here I would more than likely go back to the iphone, but not just for the phone more for the customer service at&t has over verizon.