Droid razr ear speaker rattle...

OP
D

dustinslee

Reaction score
Sounds like there is dirt or something vibrating off speaker .... my internal seems better but my external watching YouTube sounds like the volume is too high

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

ulli_shameer

Reaction score
Ok, so here's where I am at..

I wrote to the Global Motorola helpdesk and they promised to get back to me in 24 hours (which never happened). After reminding them yesterday, i received an email from them.....

Dear Valued Customer,

Thanks for reaching out to Motorola. I’ve reviewed your e-mail and I’m ready to help.
We apologize for the inconvenience. Power the phone off and on. Check for software update.
Press the Menu key from the Home Screen.
Tap Settings.
Tap About phone.
Tap System updates.

If you get the same result, perform the factory data reset. Factory Data Reset is a tool used to remove everything that was imported, added or installed on the device. Keep in mind, when using this feature everything is deleted. Nothing stored on the MicroSD or the internal phone storage will be affected unless you choose to erase it as well.
Factory Data Reset
From the screen of your phone, press the Menu button
Tap Settings.
Scroll down and tap Privacy
Tap Factory Data Reset
Check Erase internal storage if you would like to erase all the data on the phone internal storage such as applications, music, movies or photos.
Tap Reset Phone

We hope that you find this information useful and look forward to assisting you in the future.
For information about Motorola products and services, please visit us at Motorola Home - Motorola USA
Thank you for contacting Motorola e-mail support.

I followed the entire sequence, and voila! the rattle still happens.. By the way, there was no software update available at the time.. So, I'm stuck again... :blink:
Guess i have to take it back to the retailer.. SUCKS!

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
They sent you the standard "fix all problems" letter. I wouldn't have even done it.

I'd take it back until you get one that does not rattle.

DukeL

Reaction score
Are people experiencing this when talking on speakerphone or earpiece? When my speakerphone volume is t 100% I hear a rattle but earpiece is fine.?

ulli_shameer

Reaction score
Are people experiencing this when talking on speakerphone or earpiece? When my speakerphone volume is t 100% I hear a rattle but earpiece is fine.?

Both the speakers rattle.. the earpiece one more than the loudspeaker..

Reaction score
Umm OK?

Hummm Idk about everyone else but doesnt that procedure seem like if your having a software problem? A piece of dirt or rock doesnt seem like a factory reset is going to magically disappear unless the software update they said will be downloaded and installed came with nanites that can go thru your phone and remove any impurities. Am I right?

spyder560

Reaction score
So has anyone else taken theirs back because of this problem? I'm thinking of taking mine back. This is my ONLY gripe with this awesome phone!!

DukeL

Reaction score
So has anyone else taken theirs back because of this problem? I'm thinking of taking mine back. This is my ONLY gripe with this awesome phone!!

Nah I played with 2 at the vzw store today and they both did the same thing. If i turn the volume down one notch its fine s I think i'll live with it. Only happens when on speakerphone.

spyder560

Reaction score
It's weird because when I play music via the speakerphone..it's clear as day with no rattle nothing. It's only when I'm talking to someone on the phone that causes the rattle...strange.

ulli_shameer

Reaction score
ok, so continuing from my issue three days ago, i took it back and had it replaced.. that is the only solution apparently..!! if you dont get it sorted out now, it'll cause more problems later...

Reaction score
So forgot to update what happen when I went to the Verizon store today. So one of the reps had the phone and said he had the problem as well and told me to put my volume on Max. I did no problem. He said watch a movie or video or someway to get my phone warm. Took about 10 min to get it hot. He said now listen to music again and call your voice mail.

I was shocked.

The rattle was bad. You can really hear it badly. He told me the phone is amazing. I wouldnt trade it for another phone but they were told by moto reps that they know of an issue about the rattle in the speakers and its due to.....

the heat

Apparently the glue/adhesive in those areas are affected by it because those location are the holes in a sense where the heat escapes. As you hold your phone up right the heat will go up and come out thru the top. Moto is about to amcounce a revision to the Droid razor to the stores but has asked the reps not to tell costumers. What they will do at the point is replace the phone with another. Since there aren't any revisions right now I would wait to till they do. Sucks I know but now you know what it is chunks of glue that heat up, separate, and cool down to make the rattle noise. Hopefully if this becomes a mainstream problem they will recall the first gen Droid Razrs with the new revised ones.

food for thought

OP
D

dustinslee

Reaction score
So forgot to update what happen when I went to the Verizon store today. So one of the reps had the phone and said he had the problem as well and told me to put my volume on Max. I did no problem. He said watch a movie or video or someway to get my phone warm. Took about 10 min to get it hot. He said now listen to music again and call your voice mail.

I was shocked.

The rattle was bad. You can really hear it badly. He told me the phone is amazing. I wouldnt trade it for another phone but they were told by moto reps that they know of an issue about the rattle in the speakers and its due to.....

the heat

Apparently the glue/adhesive in those areas are affected by it because those location are the holes in a sense where the heat escapes. As you hold your phone up right the heat will go up and come out thru the top. Moto is about to amcounce a revision to the Droid razor to the stores but has asked the reps not to tell costumers. What they will do at the point is replace the phone with another. Since there aren't any revisions right now I would wait to till they do. Sucks I know but now you know what it is chunks of glue that heat up, separate, and cool down to make the rattle noise. Hopefully if this becomes a mainstream problem they will recall the first gen Droid Razrs with the new revised ones.

food for thought

Sounds about right

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
By the time that happens my return policy will be expired, don't think I can risk that might have to go back now.

BULL27

Reaction score
You still have your 1 year warranty with Verizon.

They give you a refurbished phone if you go past the 15 days. If you want a brand new phone, you need to return it within that timeframe. I love my RAZR, but will be returning it today because the ear speaker is too soft, even at the highest volume I can barely hear people in public settings. This does piss me off because I have my RAZR exactly where I want it in regards to settings. Anyone have this problem? Not the rattle but the actual volume of the speaker?