moto droid 4 phone ear piece crackle/rattle

Discussion in 'Droid 4 Tech Support' started by mvojinov, Mar 7, 2012.

1. kijutsu

kijutsu Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I finally gave up -- I went to a Razr. They unboxed one in store and listened to it and it was the same way. I'm done with the Droid 4. I loved everything about it, but as an actual phone it was frickin' useless. I totally miss the keyboard, but I have a small bluetooth keyboard on order that I'll try. Verizon and Motorola are reaaally testing my patience on this. One single dual core phone with keyboard and it's a piece of crap. End rant here...

2. RueTheDayTrebek

Ratings:
    +0
    With all of the people that bought this phone, there has to be SOMEONE who isn't having this speaker problem.

Hopefully this is just a localized problem with a batch.

This speaker problem can't be happening with EVERYONE, otherwise there would be a recall. Maybe.

I'm getting a replacement through Verizon.

I think everyone was hoping this thing was going to be as prolific as the OG Droid.

RIP OG Droid, your descendants have proven to be as of yet unworthy of your namesake.

At least the fastboot files are out.

3. kwyrt

kwyrt Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Got my D4 the day it came out. Just started noticing a crackle noise on calls last night. I'm hoping it clears itself up. Two and half months with no issue and now this? I love this phone. I can't think of another phone I'd rather have.

4. elkrisp

elkrisp New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well... I've had the phone for exactly 2 months today. Just noticed the crackle in the earpiece last night and then morning.

Out of curiosity, how long is the Verizon warranty period on this phone?

5. bishoy

bishoy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i am on my third droid4..... is there ever going to be a fix for this? or will it be something we just have to deal with for the next two years? what about when the warranty ends, what do we do then?

i cant imagine that Verizon/Motorola would just let this slide without fixing it (would they?)

6. xmguy

xmguy Active Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I just swapped from a Bionic with MANY issues to a CLNR Droid 4. I took it from the packaging it came it and I was floored at the AWFUL sound quality too. The earpiece sounded muffled and crackly. Much more than the Razr Maxx or the Bionic it replaced. The rear speaker however was the worse. HORRIFIC sound from it. Distortion (using normal non eq'ed settings) at medium volume. The phone carcass (shell of phone) rattles with the sounds that come over the speaker. Seems Motorola didn't care when they built the Droid 4. It's a far cry from the OG Droid which I had too. I'm gonna try to go back to the Bionic. I like the keyboard...but the speaker issues are something I can't live with since I use my phone 90% of the time for Internet Radio and music playback as well as (via root) Spirit (REAL) FM Radio.

7. soxxie

soxxie New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I too bought a D4 and from almost the start I noticed odd audio issues when the volume of my voice went above mid range. However, I didn't want to swap to a CLNR so I hoped it would get better. It didn't. It got so bad I couldn't stand to talk without the call being on speaker phone. Verizon sent me out a CLNR D4 and out of the box it had audio issues. I was sent another that wouldn't turn on. They sent me another, and this one had the battery and adhesive cover hanging out of it, the empty cavity full of dirt and some hair. I took a picture and called them saying I wasn't going to get tagged by Moto for $500. (I was told from the start if it looked like the battery had been removed my warranty would be voided) The tech I spoke to then said my only replacement options were the D Razr (NOT MAXX), Samsung Stratosphere and an older HTC phone. When I asked if I could get a MAXX I was told there was a new policy in effect that they will only be sending out Maxx CLNRs for those with a Maxx.
    I am HIGHLY disappointed in Moto right now, as I really loved my D4 but I couldn't deal with the bad phones anymore. Now I'll have to find a way to live without my keyboard.

8. xmguy

xmguy Active Member

Ratings:
    +4
    If you want a Maxx. I can tell you PUSH LIKE HELL!!! Call every few days. Best after 9PM (CENTRAL). Sundays are the best too. I bought the Bionic when it came out on September 8th 2011. I had NOTHING but issues with it (software wise). Went through over 20-30 of the darn things. All CLNR. FINALLY a manager agreed to swap me to the Razr Maxx it was "listed" as CLNR. However at the time it was right after launch so it was practically new. I only had to replace it once since I got it in February. So I'd push for it if I were you. I think the Bionic is not a bad phone NOW. You can ask for that too. but GO for the Maxx if you really want it. Don't give up. If they keep sending you phones and they never work right request a Maxx and move on. Best advice.

9. pilonull

pilonull New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Got a brand new phone (replacement) today, with the same annoying earpiece rattle..

So I just did the "suck trick" *ahem*

And the results were mind-blowing. **** actually worked.

10. 4low4fun

4low4fun Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I bought my D4 brand new the day it came out. I never had a single problem with it until I loaded the new ics leak. It started to crackle in the ear piece really bad.. I thought for sure it was a radio issue with the new os..since I'm off the upgrade path I thought for sure I had screwed my self.. but I just tried "the trick" (no pun intended) and sucked like a vacuum and sure enough! The darn thing works great!!
    Thanks for the tip! (Again no pun...)

11. snowman

snowman Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I'm on my 3rd phone for the same problem they won't send a new one spent hours on the horn
    just another refurb , not really pleased with the D4 for this reason
    would never recommend one to anyone now
    wait for the Samsung S3 it will be the sweetest phone yet

#35 snowman, Jun 12, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  12. jigawatt

jigawatt Member

Ratings:
    +0
    On my 4th Droid 4, and the speaker is already going on this one too. I'm not going for another replacement, hopefully they'll swap it for a NEW phone, such as the RAZR, hopefully that doesn't suck too.

Search tags for this page
droid 4 ear piece problems
droid 4 ear speaker
droid 4 ear speaker fix

droid 4 earpiece crackling

droid 4 speaker

droid 4 speaker crackling

droid 4 speaker issues

droid 4 speaker problem

droid 4 speaker problems
motorola droid 4 ear speaker