moto droid 4 phone ear piece crackle/rattle

Discussion in 'Droid 4 Tech Support' started by mvojinov, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Brandon314159

Brandon314159 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My main hope is that my replacement phone will be NEW and not refurbished. New w/ working audio would be nice too.

I just got this thing and getting one more used than my current would upset me pretty badly.

2. Brandon314159

Brandon314159 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Replacement arrived today.

FAR better audio quality out the ear piece.

Audio out the back seems okay...I am going to put it through the paces and see what it does.

The "certified like new" phone arrived and unless they changed the chassis, it is new. The battery cover sticker was disturbed though (which I don't like the idea of).

3. pgreeny

pgreeny Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am on my 3rd D4 for the earpiece issue and now after 4 days its doing the same thing as the others. I called verizon and went through tech support and the asked if I wanted to just exchange the device for a RAZR, so I said how about a RAZR MAXX, he said sure no problem as long as we have it in stock. While he was doing the order i said it was a bummer because I had purchased some accessories and the vehicle mount, he said he would replace those also. So while I will miss the keyboard I feel like the are giving a more than fair replacement with no money out of pocket. I just couldn't deal with the speaker anymore. . The impression I got from tech is this a very common problem with this device and they were very eager to make me happy. While dissapointed with the D4 Verizon customer service was surprisingly good. Just figured I would share my experience .

4. Brandon314159

Brandon314159 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My replacement phone is starting to buzz in the speaker again on voice peaks.

If it gets a lot worse, I may be calling them again.

I also have the equipment here to investigate the cause of the issue if I have to.

I love the keyboard and 4G, but it appears they forgot to test ACTUAL PHONE CALLS with these things.

WTF.

5. jigawatt

jigawatt Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Oddly enough, I only have this problem at this time... talking to Tmobile customers.

6. dAmnDroid

dAmnDroid New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    lol This happened to mine...It actually cleared itself right up
    I'm still on my 1st DROID4

7. jigawatt

jigawatt Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I take it back, i will be on my 3rd droid 4 now.

8. BlitzPuppet

BlitzPuppet New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've had the same exact issue and had my phone replaced (Currently on my 4th Droid 4). This is absolutely rediculous. My first one did this after a month, 2nd one exchanged in store...same deal after a month. Then got a refurbished through the mail, happened within 4 days, got my 2nd refurbished this past tuesday and it's working great thus far...let's hope it stays that way!

Looks like I'll possibly have to switch to the Razr max if this issue keeps happening. SUPER annoying!

9. kijutsu

kijutsu Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ..dunn dunn dunn..another one bites the dust.

Second Droid 4 and the speaker is dead again.. full volume and can BARELY hear it.
    I don't really want a RAZR cause I do a LOT of remoting into Linux boxes via SSH and I like my full slider qwerty keyboard.

Guess I'm going back to VZW tomorrow morning again.

*EDIT*

This is going to sound REALLY freakin' weird I know. But other phones I found that if I blow on the earpiece a little bit it'll pop back into it's normal spot.
    This didn't work on this phone. But if you suck REALLY hard on the earpiece, it pops back into place for a while. I know.. the creepy weird **** o meter just pegged, but if it helps someone, awesome.

#21 kijutsu, Apr 21, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  10. jigawatt

jigawatt Member

Ratings:
    +0
    someone said to adjust the phone from the audio having "bass boost" or "bass punch". That apparently has absolutley nothing to do with the speaker for in calls. I opened up the box for my 3rd phone... immediately had problems with this phone now. The keyboard backlighting doesn't work right. So I called Verizon's tech support, sure enough, speaker issues again.

11. BlitzPuppet

BlitzPuppet New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I since my replacement started to hint that it was going to crackle again (light distortion) I did what you said and *LIGHTLY* sucked around the earpiece area while I was on the phone. That fixed the crackle to this date...

Too strange.

12. RueTheDayTrebek

Ratings:
    +0
    Verified, and then some.

Put your lips around the *AHEM* earpiece, and suck hard several times.

Fixed the issue, for now.

The harder you suck, the better the result. That's what she said.

-C

Search tags for this page

droid 4 earpiece crackling

droid 4 ear piece problems
droid 4 ear speaker
droid 4 ear speaker fix
droid 4 speaker

droid 4 speaker crackling

droid 4 speaker issues

droid 4 speaker problem

droid 4 speaker problems
motorola droid 4 ear speaker