moto droid 4 phone ear piece crackle/rattle

mvojinov

Reaction score
I'm on my second droid 4 that has a crackle/rattle noise in the phone earpiece speaker. Does anyone know if moto has a fix for this? I don't want to keep returning my phone for the same results.

amishdude01

Reaction score
I have the same problem with my D4 as well. There could be 2 problems ( I had both). 1, your hair might sometimes go into the speaker which causes it to sound distorted. 2, If both ends of the call can hear the crackling its probably your radio inside your phone. Thats my problem as of right now. It only happens once in a while but its annoying as heck! I called verizon and they are currently sending me a replacement. Hope this helps!

AAFA

Reaction score
Phone buzzy crackle

My new Droid 4 does this only when used as hand set speaker phone or head set real clear.
Worse than the tin sound from old BB.

Bummer my old Razor and other Mot phones were great hand sets.dancedroid

bishoy

Reaction score
yea I have the same problem but getting a replacement is a hassle for me

Brandon314159

Reaction score
I have this exact same problem...expect your earpiece to stop working soon.

I am attempting to clean mine with a pile of neobyndum magnets (in case there is contaminates in there) but I'm suspecting the connection is failing internall.

I can tap/blow/prod and the speaker will start working again....but it's now failing mid-call which is VERY annoying.

amishdude01

Reaction score
It seems that Moto has put the cheapest speakers in this device.. not only the earpiece, but the speaker as well. I already had 1 replacement because of the earpice, and now my replacements speaker phone is crackling around 75% volume. Try to get a replacement, Brandon. See if you can get a lucky device with both working speakers.

Brandon314159

Reaction score
I'm just got off the phone w/ tech support...got a replacement phone rolling my way.

The audio degraded during the troubleshooting, but didn't totally cut out.

I've found that manipulating the speaker area (either pressing, or blowing air, etc.) changes how the speaker sounds or if it works at all. Bumping around in my pocket even causes issue.

Hopefully the replacement is better...the Tier 2 Tech support lady was super nice (in Georgia) and moved fairly quickly though the troubleshooting.

Have a landline or another phone available if calling them. They expect a reboot and be able to make/receive calls to the device while you are on another line.

Later,

pgreeny

Reaction score
I had my earpiece speaker go out just within my 30 day exchange period through BB, now my new replacement really sounds terrible while on phone calls , crackling, and intermittent low in call volume. Really sucks because i love the keyboard but i also need to use it as a phone and hear the person I'm talking too. Not sure what to do. I guess exchange for something else, the problem being i don't want to give up the keyboard. Can't live with this for 2 years though.

Sent from my DROID4 using DroidForums

Brandon314159

Reaction score
I'd warranty replace it again.

We can't be the only ones having these issues...so they need to listen up and build a better phone....

Searching google these earpiece issues have plagued tons of phones since about 1.5-2 years ago!

pgreeny

Reaction score
I'd warranty replace it again.

We can't be the only ones having these issues...so they need to listen up and build a better phone....

Searching google these earpiece issues have plagued tons of phones since about 1.5-2 years ago!

Well BB is done they won't warranty it again so i called Verizon and they are sending a new one. Hopefully its good because other than the speaker issue I love the phone. Maybe 3rd time is a charm.

kijutsu

Reaction score
Well BB is done they won't warranty it again so i called Verizon and they are sending a new one. Hopefully its good because other than the speaker issue I love the phone. Maybe 3rd time is a charm.

I just took mine in this afternoon and verizon swapped it out. I've only had it two weeks, made maybe 4 phones call on it. I was pissed obviously... and the saleswoman said that's the second phone TODAY that was replaced for that same reason. I'm thinking there's a couple of bad batches or this is going to be a problem with these phones.. If it is, I'm gonna be pissed even worse. And it'll likely bad the last Motorola device I purchase if it is a major problem. I had my original Droid replaced for the same reason.

Brandon314159

Reaction score
My main hope is that my replacement phone will be NEW and not refurbished. New w/ working audio would be nice too.

I just got this thing and getting one more used than my current would upset me pretty badly.

Brandon314159

Reaction score
Replacement arrived today.

FAR better audio quality out the ear piece.

Audio out the back seems okay...I am going to put it through the paces and see what it does.

The "certified like new" phone arrived and unless they changed the chassis, it is new. The battery cover sticker was disturbed though (which I don't like the idea of).

pgreeny

Reaction score
Replacement arrived today.

FAR better audio quality out the ear piece.

Audio out the back seems okay...I am going to put it through the paces and see what it does.

The "certified like new" phone arrived and unless they changed the chassis, it is new. The battery cover sticker was disturbed though (which I don't like the idea of).

I am on my 3rd D4 for the earpiece issue and now after 4 days its doing the same thing as the others. I called verizon and went through tech support and the asked if I wanted to just exchange the device for a RAZR, so I said how about a RAZR MAXX, he said sure no problem as long as we have it in stock. While he was doing the order i said it was a bummer because I had purchased some accessories and the vehicle mount, he said he would replace those also. So while I will miss the keyboard I feel like the are giving a more than fair replacement with no money out of pocket. I just couldn't deal with the speaker anymore. . The impression I got from tech is this a very common problem with this device and they were very eager to make me happy. While dissapointed with the D4 Verizon customer service was surprisingly good. Just figured I would share my experience .