Droid Possessed

Generaljud

Reaction score
your not alone a couple of days my droid started doing the same thing as well. I am running Stock 2.1 i didn't install any software or updates that I know of before this started happening. I even shut off my wiFi & cell service to see if someone was hacking into my phone. But it bypasses and connects to whatever it wants internet & making phone calls even when I have those services turned off. It even tried to buy Tetris out of the market place. It got to the confirmation page before I got the battery out. It seems a bit fishy that all of a sudden multiple people are having the same issue. I am going be a Verizon store in the morning to see what they have to say about it.

moset

Reaction score
Sounds like a club is forming. I had the same issue and there is another thread with the same issues "phantom screen touches " or something close. I had run several ROMS the last being LFY 1.8 which was buggy. I went to stock 2.2 and even formatted my SD card. That helped a lot but still had occasionally phantom touches. I just got a referb under warranty and so far its flawless. Same SD card but I haven't transferred all files back yet. All I can think of is that I removed a screen protector just before it first started. The SD card was looking like the problem but it just seemed to reduce the frequency of the wierdness. Also just got a new battery and went through 1 charge and drain cycle with the old phone. Some improvement from old battery but not much.
Now with the referb I have 8.5 hours at 50% with an hour of phone calls and almost 2 hours of screen on. Crazy better than the old phone/new battery. I got about 8 hours of moderate use with the old phone /battery. The referb looks very good but the slider is kinda loose. I can live with that if this battery use keeps up. So far so good with the screen thing. Anyone who is having this prob had a screen protector???

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Something like that can be attributed to a faulty digitizer. The good news is that if the phone is less than a year old it's still under Motorola warranty. Warranty = free replacement.

Canadroid

Reaction score
I had the problem last week after getting a greasy film on my screen from my hands. Touch screen started activating without me touching it, opening apps, and random clicking. This has happened about three times since I bought it. Would not stop until I cleaned the screen.

Both my droids have done this sort of thing, opening contacts, opening voice command menu, etc, a couple times over the last 2 months. I'm rooted, the wife is not.

Very random, intermittent and strange. Each time I've seen it start up, grabbing the phone and tapping home a few times stopped the activity without any further trouble.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
I had the problem last week after getting a greasy film on my screen from my hands. Touch screen started activating without me touching it, opening apps, and random clicking. This has happened about three times since I bought it. Would not stop until I cleaned the screen.

Both my droids have done this sort of thing, opening contacts, opening voice command menu, etc, a couple times over the last 2 months. I'm rooted, the wife is not.

Very random, intermittent and strange. Each time I've seen it start up, grabbing the phone and tapping home a few times stopped the activity without any further trouble.
Have you done a proximity sensor reset?

moset

Reaction score
How do you reset sensors?. I have an app called phone tester that shows their state but no reset.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
I've done this a couple of times and each time it reset the exact same problem you're describing. Mine showed up after mowing the lawn with the phone in my back pocket and listening to music. Lots of movement, lots of heat, very close quarters -- consider it a torture test for the Droid. :D

Power the phone down. I mean off -- pull the battery if you want to. Make sure it's totally dead, so don't plug it in or anything. Now, put your finger over the ear speaker, totally covering the top of the phone's face from side to side. This part is probably unneeded as I'm sure the sensor is on one side or the other, but this makes sure you have everything covered. Now power the phone back up, keeping your finger across the top of the phone like that till the phone finishes booting to the lock screen.

If this doesn't solve the issue you have a digitizer issue and probably have to have the screen replaced -- $60 plus cost of the screen itself if you can find someone (that was what someone was quoted at a mall kiosk) to do it for you, or a tricky PITA to do yourself, if it's even possible without training and specialized tools -- or take it back to Verizon/file an insurance claim.

OP
beerman1373

beerman1373

Reaction score
I've done this a couple of times and each time it reset the exact same problem you're describing. Mine showed up after mowing the lawn with the phone in my back pocket and listening to music. Lots of movement, lots of heat, very close quarters -- consider it a torture test for the Droid. :D

Power the phone down. I mean off -- pull the battery if you want to. Make sure it's totally dead, so don't plug it in or anything. Now, put your finger over the ear speaker, totally covering the top of the phone's face from side to side. This part is probably unneeded as I'm sure the sensor is on one side or the other, but this makes sure you have everything covered. Now power the phone back up, keeping your finger across the top of the phone like that till the phone finishes booting to the lock screen.

Just tried this and same issue. Started as soon as i removed my finger from over the ear speaker. :icon_evil:. Oh Well, New replacement should be here today. Time to Root again tonight!:icon_ banana: I hope this works for others!!!!!

OP
beerman1373

beerman1373

Reaction score
Furbearingmammals ( Love the name! ) fix got me to thinking. When the Phone starts going wacky i hold my finger over the top left of the screen next to the Ear Speaker and it stops. I let go and no issue for a while. While Stopped i hold my finger back on the same spot and Weeeeeeeeeee, it starts going crazy again:icon_eek:. This would make me think it has to be hardware is bunk

moset

Reaction score
Well, I got the referb and it seems to be working fine EXCEPT I can't slide the notification bar. I hit menu and notification and it pulls down. Also the screen is way loose from the slide our keyboard. They are shipping another. Be here tomorrow . Reset had no effect. Test phone shows all sensors working fine. Let's see what I get next.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Well, I got the referb and it seems to be working fine EXCEPT I can't slide the notification bar. I hit menu and notification and it pulls down. Also the screen is way loose from the slide our keyboard. They are shipping another. Be here tomorrow . Reset had no effect. Test phone shows all sensors working fine. Let's see what I get next.

At this rate an Eris with a scratched screen, an Ally with a keyboard composed of broken M&Ms, and a DX with a picture of Dick Chaney as the wallpaper.

;)

Jud

Reaction score
I also had this problem. I just got a refurbished phone. Is there any good way to get back all you free apps automatically? this sucks because the rep at the Verizon store did a factory reset and reverted my phone back to when it was brand new. Now I have to try and reminder what apps I had on my phone. Also is there a program out there that will backup or restore your phone including calls & text messages as well as apps & Settings. I do not want to go through this again.

Thanks

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Make sure all your data is backed up with Google. Look under the privacy settings for the appropriate checkbox. :)

They'll download automatically, but only if you're syncing an only if you had them backed up with Google first.

Jud

Reaction score
The only thing that it remembers is my contacts & my paid apps should it remember more