Droid?...or Droid?

RickDroid

Reaction score
OK, I'm throwing this one out to all the Guru's of our available glorious handsets...I've had several of my "technically savee" customers asking me the same question as of late...

"moneys or service contracts being no problem, Out of all the "Droid" handsets available, which is the BEST for me to get???"

I'm bias to a particular handset and I can't give them a completely un-bias answer, so I'm throwing this out to all you guys an gals! Whats the answer I start giving them? :reddroid:

Darkseider

Reaction score
Wow... that's a loaded question. If they are technically savvy then I would say Droid or Droid Incredible for VZW. EVO 4G for Sprint. T-Mobile would be the HTC G2 or Vibrant. AT&T well hell there is only one real choice the Captivate. This is assuming they will root and mod and do all sorts of goodness. If they just wanna go stock. Yeah. Point them to the Google link that lets them decide on what they want.

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Get a D1 on Ebay for $150 to avoid using the new every 2 and then wait for Verizon to get LTE pushed out and use the NE2 for a Droidlike (meaning, unlockable) phone then.

everstar80

Reaction score
The question that you could respond with is what do you need from your phone. Good idea harrellj posting that link, it would help people that don't know anything about these devices. It will always go to either preference or what they've seen other people around them have.

OP
RickDroid

RickDroid

Reaction score
Direct them to either google.com/phone or show them this: How to Pick an Android Smartphone - September 2010

The best for one person is not necessarily the best for another: carrier preferences, keyboard preferences, UI preferences (aka sense, touchwiz, stock, blur), all play into it.

In all reality this link kinda sux. Must be an old link...the Incredible isn't even on this list? To be honest the question is stright up. No hidden agendas here...the over all best of the droid handsets is what Im after here. Money is no problem and the service can be with anybody that has the BEST overall droid phone? No over complications here, no sorting out a lot of goofy mumbo jumbo, just a simple answer...I know there has to be one of them, at this time, that overall is better than the others?

Great hat Xkape!!! LOL

Last edited:

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Nope. Best is highly subjective no matter what the topic. If you don't believe me, let's try this exercise:

I'm shopping for an replacement vehicle. What's the best one?

It's impossible to answer without any qualification for what the person asking the question specifically means by "best". It's a common mistake people make on discussion forum sites no matter what the topic. I've seen the same thing on smartphone forums, automotive enthusiast forums, espresso forums, even double edge & straight edge shaving forums. Best is whatever suits the person asking the question best and the word means nothing without context.

The only answers that threads like this typically get are people promoting what they selected or what they're looking to get.

Are you looking for the fastest processor? The most memory? The best overall specs on paper? Best screen? Most fluid gui? Smallest/lightest device? Are you just looking for the most popular device? The device with the best modding community? Something simply to show off to others (most perceived fashionable/trendy)? The most expensive? The cheapest? The best price/performance ratio? The list can go on and on and on. There are so many different factors and combinations of factors that you can use to compare and no single device meets everyone's criteria.

What are those of the people asking you these questions? Get them to tell you and have them assign priorities to items on their list. There won't be a device that can beat all others in all aspects.

Direct them to either google.com/phone or show them this: How to Pick an Android Smartphone - September 2010

The best for one person is not necessarily the best for another: carrier preferences, keyboard preferences, UI preferences (aka sense, touchwiz, stock, blur), all play into it.
In all reality this link kinda sux. Must be an old link...the Incredible isn't even on this list?
You realize that there were 2 links, right?

If you need it in hotlink form: Google Phone Gallery

If these people are truly technically savvy they can compare the features and specs and evaluate the units in person (to assess physical preferences) themselves IMO.

Last edited:

50Fifty

Reaction score
Im a newb to the DF's...OMG I've never seen so much info on my phone in one place! BTW, great name!

Well I'm not sure if this is what you mean but...I've personally had 2 android OS phones. I now have the Incredible but had the original Motorola Droid at first. My sister has the Samsung Fascinate which I have played around with quite a bit. I have to honestly say out of the 3 I personally know of and have tried the, Incridble is the overall best of the 3. Its definitely the fastest in the page load and browsing areas. The camera not only takes the best pics but running all settings on high, the camera shots are fast and responcive also. No screen locks or bad lag issues either. My Incredible just works the best. It does fall a bit short in the battery area if I push it hard...but then thats why I keep an extra battery wid me!

You said to keep it simple and I don't know if this is what you were wanting or if this has helped, but I hope so! :)

OP
RickDroid

RickDroid

Reaction score
Im a newb to the DF's...OMG I've never seen so much info on my phone in one place! BTW, great name!

Well I'm not sure if this is what you mean but...I've personally had 2 android OS phones. I now have the Incredible but had the original Motorola Droid at first. My sister has the Samsung Fascinate which I have played around with quite a bit. I have to honestly say out of the 3 I personally know of and have tried the, Incridble is the overall best of the 3. Its definitely the fastest in the page load and browsing areas. The camera not only takes the best pics but running all settings on high, the camera shots are fast and responcive also. No screen locks or bad lag issues either. My Incredible just works the best. It does fall a bit short in the battery area if I push it hard...but then thats why I keep an extra battery wid me!

You said to keep it simple and I don't know if this is what you were wanting or if this has helped, but I hope so! :)

Very nicely put 50Fifty! This is EXACTLY the kind of response I was looking for. No over complications in your reply, right to the point, and you didn't try to overwhelm us and yourself with a lot of over rated crap...Perfect!

and by the way...welcome to the DroidForums! LOL

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Very nicely put 50Fifty! This is EXACTLY the kind of response I was looking for. No over complications in your reply, right to the point, and you didn't try to overwhelm us and yourself with a lot of over rated crap...Perfect!

Sorry Rick..as the saying goes, "Homey don't play that way." No matter what you read on this thread or elsewhere, THERE IS NO answer to your question. What you're getting here are two kinds of responses:

(1) "Gee...you need to first gauge what the user wants", or
(2) "ZOMFG, my phone ROCKS!!!"

Sounds like what you want are #2 answers, personal testimonials and anecdotal evidence. Problem is, for every DInc owner you line up who loves it, I'll give you a DX (or a D2, or a....) owner who will tell you the other guy is WRONG!

If your customers don't give a flying f*&^ what they spend their money on, and it's just a matter of buying the gadget with the most sex appeal, then just set up a poll here for "THE BEST PHONE." You'll have the answer you want in 2-3 days (HINT: it will be the original Droid...it's a biased forum). Otherwise, they will actually use the device and want it to suit their needs. If it's the latter, THEY HAVE to look at each device feature by feature.

Sorry for the "not a soundbite" answer. Dealing with reality takes effort.

-Matt

dr0idg0d23

Reaction score

Sorry Rick..as the saying goes, "Homey don't play that way." No matter what you read on this thread or elsewhere, THERE IS NO answer to your question. What you're getting here are two kinds of responses:

(1) "Gee...you need to first gauge what the user wants", or
(2) "ZOMFG, my phone ROCKS!!!"

Sounds like what you want are #2 answers, personal testimonials and anecdotal evidence. Problem is, for every DInc owner you line up who loves it, I'll give you a DX (or a D2, or a....) owner who will tell you the other guy is WRONG!

If your customers don't give a flying f*&^ what they spend their money on, and it's just a matter of buying the gadget with the most sex appeal, then just set up a poll here for "THE BEST PHONE." You'll have the answer you want in 2-3 days (HINT: it will be the original Droid...it's a biased forum). Otherwise, they will actually use the device and want it to suit their needs. If it's the latter, THEY HAVE to look at each device feature by feature.

Sorry for the "not a soundbite" answer. Dealing with reality takes effort.

-Matt
Couldn't have said it better myself. Getting into this subject is like discussing politics or religion, it will always lead to debate and in most cases argument.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Bilgediver

Reaction score
It really boils down to that yes. If they are talking specs, I would say droid x or inc, if they want to tinker like a lot of us its the droid. If they like a smaller phone but still customizable and still smooth, go with lg ally, if they want high specs but with a keyboard, go with droid 2, if they are star wars geeks, the r2d2 is out.

The answers are all subjective, and I'm already subjective, I'm assuming verizon customers in the us.

Tapatalk on original Moto Droid, UltimateDroid'd

korp

Reaction score
OK, I'm throwing this one out to all the Guru's of our available glorious handsets...I've had several of my "technically savee" customers asking me the same question as of late...

"moneys or service contracts being no problem, Out of all the "Droid" handsets available, which is the BEST for me to get???"

I'm bias to a particular handset and I can't give them a completely un-bias answer, so I'm throwing this out to all you guys an gals! Whats the answer I start giving them? :reddroid:

It all depends on preferences. It could literally come down to look for what you feel the best device is ... especially when it comes to Motorola vs Samsung vs HTC because they each have their own sort of "theme/skin" on the devices but support essentially the same processor abilities. You cannot really make a bad decision with one vs the other ... I would tell them to play with each and make their own decision because every device will have it's strong points.

Service, hands down has to be on Verizon Wireless though.