Verizon's Android Phone Selection

admbmb

Reaction score
Sorry if this isn't exactly in the right category....

I've been with Verizon for years. Never really had an issue with phone selection until the Android revolution of late, and I picked up the original Droid when it first arrived. Now I'm looking around and seeing most of the newest, coolest and most powerful going to the likes of AT&T, T-Mobile and Sprint. What's the deal? Verizon's service has treated me very well over the years, and they have the most subscribers if I'm not mistaken along with one of the best networks. Wouldn't they benefit from having the cream of the Android crop? (Right now, I see T-Mobile getting the Galaxy S II and the Sensation, which to me are some of the best phones arriving)
Should I switch? Should I hack whatever handset I want onto Verizon (if that's possible)? Or should I just wait in case Verizon realizes that making 38 iterations of the Droid is getting old?

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I would wait it out. There's some Android goodness coming down the pike. They stumbled with the LTE launch but once that's sorted out I think some good stuff will definately be coming.

sent from somewhere...

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Idk what you mean...I stop by best buys and radioshacks, and att and sprint stores, and for the price i think verizon has an excellent lineup of phones. I was playing with a dual screen (is it samsung or lg?) Phone, and i hate it. The evo shift 4g which my girlfriend has is a baby compared to my droid 2 global, 4g network notwithstanding. Heck i walked by a mall kiosk and noticed that incredible 2 accessories are already being sold.

Lets go back to the evo shift and 2 global comparison. My girlfriend paid 230 for her phone, thru craigslist. Dont get me wrong the 4g service is amazing, and i tested an average of 7.5 Mbit/s download, but pathetic upload speed. I paid 250 for my phone on contract + rebate, and i feel that the extra 20 bucks spent was worth well more and then some.

I feel that the outdated incredible is more savvy than the evo. The thunderbolt is the best phone (without a keyboard ;) ) on the market right now.

Just lets not bring monthly bill into play lol.

3vil

Reaction score
I am waiting for verizon to get the samsung galaxy s2

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
I think Verizon has an excelent selection as well. Ok so they dont have the Atrix but aside from that you have the D2G, which dev support aside, is a great phone. The DX, which gets you the best of both worlds I believe(dev support but also a good phone out of the box), and some other nice phones. Personally, I switched to verizon about a month ago, because dropped calls and ATT always fubaring our bills, I felt the selection was better in the android department, mainly for the sake of the D2G because ATT does not have any high powered androids with a physical keyboard attached to the device as I find touch screen keyboards hard to use.

While I do feel verizon has the best selection, I do wish there were more Android phones with physical keyboards. I guess full touchscreen is just too cool these days, but my big fingers disagree with that lol.

cutiedroid

Reaction score
Why don't the devs support the D2G as much as the other Droids?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Less people have it. It is just an offshoot of the droid 2, and a ton more people got the droid2. I said this back in february that in 3 or 4 months i expected sales for it to go up a bit and some new devs to hit the scene. Well lo and behold, we have the get-r-done diet rom and the fenom rom to add to fission. Not to mention team GRD put out a 'romer' which lets you flash a droid 2 rom with only minor problems (namely the sensors)

Bottom line is, there are a lot less ppl interested in the global. Maybe if they dropped the durn price, yeah?