DROID MAXX HD vs Razr M

cynergyou

Reaction score
Hey All,

My wife and I are finally upgrading to a smart phone. We are leaning towards the DROID phones from Motorola. We are debating whether or not to get the MaxxHD or Razr M phones.

We like the big screen of the Maxx HD, but the compactness of the Razr M is appealing. Call quality and battery life are important to us. We also like the mobile hotspot capability of the two phones.

Are there any known major technical glitches with either phone? Initially I thought we'd go with the Razr M because it's been released to the public a little bit longer. The thought was that it gave Motorola a little more time to address any technical issues with the phone. However, I realize now that the M has only been out since September, so both phones are relatively new to the market.

Also, the camera quality isn't a major issue. I've seen pictures taken with both phones and the image quality is more than adequate for our preferences. I would like to have the ability to record 1080p video - i think both phones are capable. We wouldn't be major power users, but we would use all of the calendaring/e-mail functions and we would listen to music (Mp3 stored locally and streaming radio) as well as watch a movie or two occasionally - probably through WiFi (for the kids) and not the 4G connection.

What are your opinions? I like the big screen of the Maxx HD, and am willing to spend a little more for it, assuming there aren't any major technical glitches with reliability, call quality and battery life. My wife likes the big screen of the Maxx but doesn't have a strong preference for either.

Thanks in advance!

PowrDroid

Reaction score
Hey All,

My wife and I are finally upgrading to a smart phone. We are leaning towards the DROID phones from Motorola. We are debating whether or not to get the MaxxHD or Razr M phones.

We like the big screen of the Maxx HD, but the compactness of the Razr M is appealing. Call quality and battery life are important to us. We also like the mobile hotspot capability of the two phones.

Are there any known major technical glitches with either phone?

Motorola has a good reputation for having excellent call quality--very good reception and very good sound quality. Battery life is untouchable with the Maxx HD and from what little I've read on the Razr M most people can get through a day without charging. Not sure what using the mobile hotspot does for battery life, but I would presume it would be at least as much of a drain as normal data usage.

If you haven't already done so you can check the support/troubleshooting forum here:

Droid RAZR Support

Also the Motorola site has a couple of forums:

https://forums.motorola.com/hives/cd0e7d2c52/summary

https://forums.motorola.com/hives/c531700a0f/posts

What are your opinions? I like the big screen of the Maxx HD, and am willing to spend a little more for it, assuming there aren't any major technical glitches with reliability, call quality and battery life. My wife likes the big screen of the Maxx but doesn't have a strong preference for either.

Thanks in advance!

I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I'm definitely getting the Maxx HD and my wife wants her first smartphone so I'm eyeing the Razr M for her. She likes the more compact size (and I like the price LOL.) I figure if I'm going to be tied to a phone for the next 20 to 24 months I might as well splurge and get the flagship.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Excellent info pwrdroid!

I have both the Razr M and the Razr Maxx (non HD). I really did not think I would stick with the M as my everyday phone. I loved my Maxx. But I really am loving my M more! One of the biggest reasons is the smaller size of the phone (actual display size on my Maxx and M are the same...the HD display, as you know, is bigger than the M). The size of the M makes one handed operation a breeze. Not so with my Maxx. I also like the UI better on my M but that will be essentially the same between the HD and the M.

Battery life on my M is as good as my Maxx and will probably be a little better than the HD but not as good as the HD Maxx. With my M, and quite a bit of use, I always get at least 24 hours and usually over 30.

My M has a much nicer looking display than my Maxx...very crisp, brilliant color, clean. Of course the HD's display will be even better than the M but not sure how noticeable that will be for everyday images...except the size, of course.

The M's front facing camera is not as good as the HD's, and the M does not have hdmi out as do the HD's. The HD's also have more internal storage than the M, which to me is not a problem...currently have over 100 apps with room to spare.

Have your wife go to a Verizon store to get a sense off the size and which she might prefer. I don't think you will be disappointed with either. If it were me, I would at least get one HD... probably get one of each.

dan.dar

Reaction score
I had the M for a little over a week and now have the Maxx HD.

The M is probably a better phone in general (form factor, phone call reception, screen quality, ie contrast and black levels). Unfortunately, the M has one huge Achilles heel: 4G data reception. In fact the M may be Verizon's worst phone as far as 4G LTE signal strength goes. You lose about 10dbm from picking up the phone and it wasn't that great to begin with. That unfortunately for me was a deal breaker and I'm on the Maxx HD now.

The software on both phones is pretty much identical, the battery on the M will easily last a full day, but I'd venture to say that it won't even beat Razr HD, never mind the Maxx HD which is pretty much impossible to kill in one day. If you charge every night and aren't a heavy gamer or hotspot user, you won't have an issue with either phone.

It really comes down to 4G signal. Other than that both phones are really, really good.