Why go for the Maxx HD over standard HD?

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR MAXX HD' started by dan.dar, Oct 18, 2012.

1. dan.dar

dan.dar New Member

Is it just for gamers and people that notoriously forget to plug in their phones for the night? The difference between standard HD and Maxx is only $50 on wirefly, so if there is a compelling argument for the Maxx I'd go for it.

The razr HD with S4 chipset and 2530 MAH battery should technically last just as long if not longer on battery compared to the original razr Maxx. So if you're not a gamer and plan to store your photos and music on micro sd card, is there a reason to go for the Maxx?
  2. tjk629

tjk629 New Member

You just can't go wrong with larger battery. Especially when it's only $199.
  3. crb

crb New Member

I have to pay cash to keep my unlimited data :( after the disappointing thunderbolt battery i will opt for maxx hd. Besides I drive a truck and if the truck breaks and I can't charge phone I need to be able to depend on a long battery life.
  4. lloydstrans

lloydstrans Well-Known Member

If your truck breaks don't be playing angry birds waiting. Lmao.
  5. geoff5093

geoff5093 New Member

Even with the MAXX HD you are going to want to charge it every night, I doubt you could get through 2 full days of normal use.
  6. crb

crb New Member

True, I will pay the extra for the longer battery life. I plug it in daily, but better safe than sorry. Once you buy you can't just upgrade the battery.
  7. lloydstrans

I had the razr and now have the maxx, big difference not having to worry about usage bad habits, screen brightness? No worries. Screen time out? No worries. Etc. Just use and abuse ALL DAY LONG.
    And I like the feel of the heavier, thicker phone.
  8. crb

crb New Member

Hopefully its lighter than my thunderbolt with extended battery which is heavy.
  9. dan.dar

dan.dar New Member

It's fairly light. I just got back from the store. In pictures you can see the difference in thickness. In person, the difference in negligible and you can hardly tell the difference holding both in your hand. I think I'm going to go for it because I'll have to keep it for 2 years. Since batteries degrade over time and this one can not be replaced, I'll have a higher margin for error down the road with the Max as opposed to the regular HD.
  10. jntdroid

jntdroid DF Super Moderator Premium Member

I know you probably couldn't test much, but I also know you're very curious as well... so I'll ask, how was reception? :)
  11. Mustang02

Mustang02 Well-Known Member

Full bars, didn't check the dBm though. :(
  12. dan.dar

dan.dar New Member

Reception was great. I returned the M just due to that reason. When both were on the desk, both had signal around -77. When picked up, the M dropped to -88, while the Maxx HD only dropped to -79. Hardly a drop at all and I was gripping it too, just to make sure.
  13. revelated

revelated New Member

If you haven't used a MAXX...you simply cannot appreciate the battery.

It's not about gaming, or forgetting to charge. It's about the way things 'usedta'.

'Usedta' be that my phone needed charging once every 3 days. That was the Sanyo SCP-5000, one of the first full color phones on Sprint. Now mind you, that was before 4G and even 3G. But my point is, battery technology is the one thing that manufacturers have neglected from then to now. We have seen Nextel phones that lasted nearly a week, and now we're at the point of phones like the Thunderbolt where you're lucky to go 5 hours with moderate use. That's not acceptable.

After having used the MAXX for over a year, I can safely say that I will never settle for a phone that can't go AT LEAST 12 hours with HEAVY usage and still have power when I get home.

To put it in perspective, I leave my house at 7:30-ish every day. I turn Hotspot on and leave it on (4G is strong in this area). I connect my Nexus 7 to it. That tablet is in my hand and in constant use throughout the day, whether using Google Nav or Sky.FM or email or whatever. At work I connect my Kindle Fire to the Hotspot and it streams Sky.FM for at least 3 hours. The phone itself is on push personal and push corporate emails, location is left on just because. I just drop it in my pocket and forget about it.

I get home around 5-6pm, I've still got 20% power left.

So you figure nearly 12 hours of juice and that's with the most extreme of data usage. Essentially it's a super powered mobile hotspot that, unlike the Jetpacks, gets to abuse Verizon's unlimited data offering.

The MAXX has no peer. Not even the RAZR HD with its admittedly substantial battery bump can compete.
  14. lloydstrans

With the exception of the maxx not being out for a year I'm 100% on board with your statement.

The maxx loves to be abused, period.

The "m" impressed me more the the HD just idk.
  15. tommyz

tommyz Member

It is by a long shot. I compared my Thunderbolt w/extended battery to the MAXX HD. The MAXX was much lighter.
    I'm about ready to pull the trigger and buy the MAXX, the only thing that worries me is doing something wrong and losing my Unlimited Data.
  16. geoff5093

geoff5093 New Member

I also went from the Thunderbolt w/ extended battery to the MAXX HD. I purchased full retail and had no problems.
  17. RaveD

RaveD New Member

You just answered your own question.

IMO why wouldn't you pay a small premium for a simply incredible battery?

As others have stated, it is not about not having to charge your phone every night. It is about not worrying AT ALL that your phone won't make it through the day no matter how you use it.

It's a small pleasure to not have to bother turning off GPS, WiFi, Bluetooth, or plug in the phone when you get down to 30% just in case you won't make it home, or turn down the screen brightness to avoid draining it, or avoid running CPU hungry apps when your charge is low, or . . .

I consider the small premium well worth it.
  18. geoff5093

geoff5093 New Member

Agreed. If you buy an extended battery and new rear door on other phones, you're looking at $50+. It's a small price to pay for amazing battery life.
  19. lloydstrans

And when the battery degrades over time, still no worries.
  20. ejcrossl

ejcrossl New Member

If you are buying at a discount, you will lose unlimited data.
Search tags for this page

droid razr hd refurbished

how to tell if razr maxx hd is refurbished

razr maxx hd refurbished

refurbished droid razr hd

refurbished motorola razr hd maxx phones
refurbished razr hd
refurbished razr maxx battery sucks

refurbished razr maxx hd

remanufactured razr maxx any good