Why go for the Maxx HD over standard HD?

dan.dar

Reaction score
Is it just for gamers and people that notoriously forget to plug in their phones for the night? The difference between standard HD and Maxx is only $50 on wirefly, so if there is a compelling argument for the Maxx I'd go for it.

The razr HD with S4 chipset and 2530 MAH battery should technically last just as long if not longer on battery compared to the original razr Maxx. So if you're not a gamer and plan to store your photos and music on micro sd card, is there a reason to go for the Maxx?

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
You just can't go wrong with larger battery. Especially when it's only $199.

crb

Reaction score
I have to pay cash to keep my unlimited data :( after the disappointing thunderbolt battery i will opt for maxx hd. Besides I drive a truck and if the truck breaks and I can't charge phone I need to be able to depend on a long battery life.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
crb said:
I have to pay cash to keep my unlimited data :( after the disappointing thunderbolt battery i will opt for maxx hd. Besides I drive a truck and if the truck breaks and I can't charge phone I need to be able to depend on a long battery life.

If your truck breaks don't be playing angry birds waiting. Lmao.

geoff5093

Reaction score
Even with the MAXX HD you are going to want to charge it every night, I doubt you could get through 2 full days of normal use.

crb

Reaction score
lloydstrans said:
If your truck breaks don't be playing angry birds waiting. Lmao.

True, I will pay the extra for the longer battery life. I plug it in daily, but better safe than sorry. Once you buy you can't just upgrade the battery.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
I had the razr and now have the maxx, big difference not having to worry about usage bad habits, screen brightness? No worries. Screen time out? No worries. Etc. Just use and abuse ALL DAY LONG.
And I like the feel of the heavier, thicker phone.

crb

Reaction score
lloydstrans said:
I had the razr and now have the maxx, big difference not having to worry about usage bad habits, screen brightness? No worries. Screen time out? No worries. Etc. Just use and abuse ALL DAY LONG.
And I like the feel of the heavier, thicker phone.

Hopefully its lighter than my thunderbolt with extended battery which is heavy.

OP
D

dan.dar

Reaction score
It's fairly light. I just got back from the store. In pictures you can see the difference in thickness. In person, the difference in negligible and you can hardly tell the difference holding both in your hand. I think I'm going to go for it because I'll have to keep it for 2 years. Since batteries degrade over time and this one can not be replaced, I'll have a higher margin for error down the road with the Max as opposed to the regular HD.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's fairly light. I just got back from the store. In pictures you can see the difference in thickness. In person, the difference in negligible and you can hardly tell the difference holding both in your hand. I think I'm going to go for it because I'll have to keep it for 2 years. Since batteries degrade over time and this one can not be replaced, I'll have a higher margin for error down the road with the Max as opposed to the regular HD.

I know you probably couldn't test much, but I also know you're very curious as well... so I'll ask, how was reception? :)

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I know you probably couldn't test much, but I also know you're very curious as well... so I'll ask, how was reception? :)
Full bars, didn't check the dBm though. :(

OP
D

dan.dar

Reaction score
Reception was great. I returned the M just due to that reason. When both were on the desk, both had signal around -77. When picked up, the M dropped to -88, while the Maxx HD only dropped to -79. Hardly a drop at all and I was gripping it too, just to make sure.

revelated

Reaction score
Is it just for gamers and people that notoriously forget to plug in their phones for the night? The difference between standard HD and Maxx is only $50 on wirefly, so if there is a compelling argument for the Maxx I'd go for it.

The razr HD with S4 chipset and 2530 MAH battery should technically last just as long if not longer on battery compared to the original razr Maxx. So if you're not a gamer and plan to store your photos and music on micro sd card, is there a reason to go for the Maxx?

If you haven't used a MAXX...you simply cannot appreciate the battery.

It's not about gaming, or forgetting to charge. It's about the way things 'usedta'.

'Usedta' be that my phone needed charging once every 3 days. That was the Sanyo SCP-5000, one of the first full color phones on Sprint. Now mind you, that was before 4G and even 3G. But my point is, battery technology is the one thing that manufacturers have neglected from then to now. We have seen Nextel phones that lasted nearly a week, and now we're at the point of phones like the Thunderbolt where you're lucky to go 5 hours with moderate use. That's not acceptable.

After having used the MAXX for over a year, I can safely say that I will never settle for a phone that can't go AT LEAST 12 hours with HEAVY usage and still have power when I get home.

To put it in perspective, I leave my house at 7:30-ish every day. I turn Hotspot on and leave it on (4G is strong in this area). I connect my Nexus 7 to it. That tablet is in my hand and in constant use throughout the day, whether using Google Nav or Sky.FM or email or whatever. At work I connect my Kindle Fire to the Hotspot and it streams Sky.FM for at least 3 hours. The phone itself is on push personal and push corporate emails, location is left on just because. I just drop it in my pocket and forget about it.

I get home around 5-6pm, I've still got 20% power left.

So you figure nearly 12 hours of juice and that's with the most extreme of data usage. Essentially it's a super powered mobile hotspot that, unlike the Jetpacks, gets to abuse Verizon's unlimited data offering.

The MAXX has no peer. Not even the RAZR HD with its admittedly substantial battery bump can compete.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
revelated said:
If you haven't used a MAXX...you simply cannot appreciate the battery.

It's not about gaming, or forgetting to charge. It's about the way things 'usedta'.

'Usedta' be that my phone needed charging once every 3 days. That was the Sanyo SCP-5000, one of the first full color phones on Sprint. Now mind you, that was before 4G and even 3G. But my point is, battery technology is the one thing that manufacturers have neglected from then to now. We have seen Nextel phones that lasted nearly a week, and now we're at the point of phones like the Thunderbolt where you're lucky to go 5 hours with moderate use. That's not acceptable.

After having used the MAXX for over a year, I can safely say that I will never settle for a phone that can't go AT LEAST 12 hours with HEAVY usage and still have power when I get home.

To put it in perspective, I leave my house at 7:30-ish every day. I turn Hotspot on and leave it on (4G is strong in this area). I connect my Nexus 7 to it. That tablet is in my hand and in constant use throughout the day, whether using Google Nav or Sky.FM or email or whatever. At work I connect my Kindle Fire to the Hotspot and it streams Sky.FM for at least 3 hours. The phone itself is on push personal and push corporate emails, location is left on just because. I just drop it in my pocket and forget about it.

I get home around 5-6pm, I've still got 20% power left.

So you figure nearly 12 hours of juice and that's with the most extreme of data usage. Essentially it's a super powered mobile hotspot that, unlike the Jetpacks, gets to abuse Verizon's unlimited data offering.

The MAXX has no peer. Not even the RAZR HD with its admittedly substantial battery bump can compete.

With the exception of the maxx not being out for a year I'm 100% on board with your statement.

The maxx loves to be abused, period.

The "m" impressed me more the the HD just idk.

tommyz

Reaction score
Hopefully its lighter than my thunderbolt with extended battery which is heavy.

It is by a long shot. I compared my Thunderbolt w/extended battery to the MAXX HD. The MAXX was much lighter.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger and buy the MAXX, the only thing that worries me is doing something wrong and losing my Unlimited Data.