droid 2 wont wake from sleep, randomly reboots

crazyivan

Reaction score
Hello all. Ive got a rooted droid 2 that is having an issue where it will not wake from sleep and will randomly reboot itself. When the screen times out most of the time pressing the powerbutton will not wake the phone back up, nor will sliding out the keyboard. If i press the powerbutton 5 or 6 times then let the phone sit for 2-3 minutes the screen often will eventually turn back on. If it doesnt the only thing to do is pull the battery. Sometimes, randomly, the screen will be off and the phone will decide on its own to reboot itself. I have had these problems since I first got the phone, before I decided to root it. Anyone have any ideas? This phone was a replacement for a D1, of which I had 3 warranty replacements, each one worse than the last. (First one i bought screen stopped working after 6 months, first replacement froze constantly after 2.2 update, second arrived with a faulty ear speaker, third was DOA)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hello all. Ive got a rooted droid 2 that is having an issue where it will not wake from sleep and will randomly reboot itself. When the screen times out most of the time pressing the powerbutton will not wake the phone back up, nor will sliding out the keyboard. If i press the powerbutton 5 or 6 times then let the phone sit for 2-3 minutes the screen often will eventually turn back on. If it doesnt the only thing to do is pull the battery. Sometimes, randomly, the screen will be off and the phone will decide on its own to reboot itself. I have had these problems since I first got the phone, before I decided to root it. Anyone have any ideas? This phone was a replacement for a D1, of which I had 3 warranty replacements, each one worse than the last. (First one i bought screen stopped working after 6 months, first replacement froze constantly after 2.2 update, second arrived with a faulty ear speaker, third was DOA)

Probably you are running an app that's causing the issue. A factory data reset will usually clear this up.

If you're running a task killer or virus protection that could be your issue right there. When you run the factory data reset run it for a couple days with no apps. I know, that's going to be difficult but just run it with whatever ROM you are using. If you don't have an issue after the reset then it's probably not the phone. I'd really rather see you take it all the way back to stock, but I guarantee you'd need to sbf so lets try this first. Then start adding the apps, one by one. Do not add a task killer or virus protection. If it starts doing it after adding apps you should be able to identify the area of possible problem apps.

Hope this helps, good luck.

hexon

Reaction score
Same thing happens to me. It happened on fission and it's happening on liberty. It seems to happening to a lot of people. Is it a hardware problem or a software issue? I was going to call tomorrow about a warranty replacement, but if it's something that can be fixed I'd rather do that. I'll try a data wipe but I doubt it will help.

OP
C

crazyivan

Reaction score
Aside from being rooted I am still running mostly stock. Wiped the phone and tried running it with no apps, but its still randomly rebooting and not always waking. Will try setting minimum CPU speed to 400.