Droid 2 System 2.3.20 Update....

lloyd2398

Reaction score
Hello my fellow Droid Rooters.

Im stuck in kinda a bind and hoping that someone can help me get out of it. So what i did is, I got the system update through OTA on my handset, well I downloaded it to my phone and everything worked great. I noticed that I lost my Root, so i started to freak I gotta have my root LOL. Anyways I have 3 Droid 2's so all of them got the update, I did install update on another one and figured out how to get root back, so I did the last one and put root back on it. Well back to my phone so i lost root and i freaked so i restored my phone to a earlier point to gain back my root, durring that process I lost my update, I didnt do another backup with that update on it. I found this site that has the full sbf file for the 2.3.20 TBH & MyDroidWorld Present: Droid 2 (2.3.20) Triple Threat
Only reason im posting site is so others can see what im doing and can understand, anyways so i downloaded the file it comes in a zip format so i extracted the file and poof there is my 434mb sbf file. I put that file in my documents and then updated the rsd lite to version 4.8 like the site said to do, did everything the site said to do with my phone before starting the rsd lite. After I started rsd lite it did infact see my droid, so i loaded the sbf file on rsd lite and pressed start it automaticaly put my phone to the bootloader screen, but everytime i run the process it keeps telling me FAIL. So i used the update.zip format loaded it on there it worked fine, tried to do it again same thing FAIL. So again i put it back to a restore with 2.2.20 ran again same thing FAIL. I would like it if someone could help me as i would like to return my phone back to stock from box. Im having some issues with my phone and just wanted to go back to stock and start the process all over again with rooting. The OTA will not work after that 1 time it just says "your device is currently up to date" Well i know its not because it has the 2.2.20 on it. LOL PLEASE i need HELP, im freaking out and this is the only site that feels like family and everyone comes together as 1. Sorry its a long thread, but I just wanted everyone to know what i did from start to finish. Thank you so much for the help im about to recieve.

Gibbsinator

Reaction score
The same thing kind of happened to me. I completely wiped the ROM off my phone, and had to flash an SBF, so I went back to stock, but it is lying to me saying it's up to date, lol.

What I'm going to try is rooting, then installing the 2.3.2 rom via bootstrap.

bsteady2

Reaction score
ok

i ran into that same era and got the bootloader downner...stay away from that .sbf cause it has self destruct written it...try to obtain another copy of 2.2.20 or send the 2.2.20 you have, over a to zip drive and send it back to ur pc into another new folder, other than your documents...any version of rsd lite will work....unplug ur d2 and power off...next hold camera button,vol dwn,and power all at same time. release power button when light flash on...you will have another BL screen..plug in your d2 and locate your 2.2.20 sbf and flash it...when it reaches 99% count to 10seconds and unplug it from ur pc and replug it back quickly...watch ur screen and watch it reboot and load again...let me know if you got working again...dancedroid

gunz.jones

Reaction score
My understanding has it that you cannot sbf back after 2.3.20 installs....you will have to flash to that stock...

zero7404

Reaction score
can the motorola UI be disabled (stock android UI) on this phone ?

mjones1052

Reaction score
can the motorola UI be disabled (stock android UI) on this phone ?

Not disabled, but since your rooted you can load a custom ROM that doesn't have Motoblur on it, but no, most you can do without a custom ROM is delete some of the bloated system apps, but nothing with blur in it, and some others.

Cloppy

Reaction score
I downloaded the sbf as a backup but I was running stock and not getting the update. So I decided to try the blur.zip and rename to update.zip. that worked fine for me.

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
OK, my question is... My Droid 2 is rooted, overclocked, running stock ROM, etc... I am on 2.2 and I haven't received any notice of an upgrade since I have had the phone, when the upgrade finally gets to me will I be able to deny/decline/tell it don't upgrade? Or is it automatic? I don't want to lose root, overclock, and everything else I love about this phone.

gunz.jones

Reaction score
Just use the update from tbh...nothing more than installing through clockwork and then wiping cache.

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If you get the update, it's not like it will prevent you from rooting again. You can still root.

Am I going to have to re-do everything I had to do to get it back to the lovely state it's in now? Am I back at ground zero after the update is installed? I did it right the first time without bricking LOL

gunz.jones

Reaction score
No....it will still be modded. The only change is the version...if you deleted bloatware with root tools or manually, you'll just do that. Wipe cache before or after install so your apps will respond nicely to the update. Some may force close otherwise

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
No....it will still be modded. The only change is the version...if you deleted bloatware with root tools or manually, you'll just do that. Wipe cache before or after install so your apps will respond nicely to the update. Some may force close otherwise

Ok I have never done that or had to do that, but in Jrummy's DX/D2 Overclock app there is an option to "clear all data & SD Card cache" ... is that what you mean?

I just want to avoid any hassles, I've read alot about OTA updates removing root, and I, being a noob at rooting, made darn sure I did it right the first time, I was scared to death of bricking my new Droid LOL

gunz.jones

Reaction score
You can do it that way or just for the programs that don't respond correctly. That clockwork option is the easiest.

MrKleen

Reaction score

Ok I have never done that or had to do that, but in Jrummy's DX/D2 Overclock app there is an option to "clear all data & SD Card cache" ... is that what you mean?

I just want to avoid any hassles, I've read alot about OTA updates removing root, and I, being a noob at rooting, made darn sure I did it right the first time, I was scared to death of bricking my new Droid LOL

Use Clockwork and only wipe cache, not data...