Droid 2 System 2.3.20 Update....

Jedidr0id

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, I'm a little confused here. I am rooted on 2.2 and did not download the 2.3 ota. I know once I update I will lose root access. What do I have to do to reroot my phone after the update? I just want root access and I don't install any roms. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
No....it will still be modded. The only change is the version...if you deleted bloatware with root tools or manually, you'll just do that. Wipe cache before or after install so your apps will respond nicely to the update. Some may force close otherwise

Ok I have never done that or had to do that, but in Jrummy's DX/D2 Overclock app there is an option to "clear all data & SD Card cache" ... is that what you mean?

I just want to avoid any hassles, I've read alot about OTA updates removing root, and I, being a noob at rooting, made darn sure I did it right the first time, I was scared to death of bricking my new Droid LOL

Use Clockwork and only wipe cache, not data...

OK... noob question...what is Clockwork? Is it an app? I did a search but found nothing.

Jboxen

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Hello Everyone, I'm a little confused here. I am rooted on 2.2 and did not download the 2.3 ota. I know once I update I will lose root access. What do I have to do to reroot my phone after the update? I just want root access and I don't install any roms. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

You can re-root using any of the D2 root mothods, I used the terminal emulator method, took about 10 minutes.

Jboxen

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Ok I have never done that or had to do that, but in Jrummy's DX/D2 Overclock app there is an option to "clear all data & SD Card cache" ... is that what you mean?

I just want to avoid any hassles, I've read alot about OTA updates removing root, and I, being a noob at rooting, made darn sure I did it right the first time, I was scared to death of bricking my new Droid LOL

OK... noob question...what is Clockwork? Is it an app? I did a search but found nothing.

Clockwork is a recovery menu, you can access it through the bootstrap recovery on the droid 2.

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Clockwork is a recovery menu, you can access it through the bootstrap recovery on the droid 2.

OK cool, I have Droid 2 Bootstrap installed, I think it was 2 bucks, but have never had reason to do a recovery yet. Thanks!

wpg9210

Reaction score
Is there an updated baseband with the new SBF? I tried installing it but still have the old c_01.09.05p.

gunz.jones

Reaction score
If you use the sbf to flash the full 2.3.20, you should have .07. I had that problem using the hacjed update, but it updated through sbf the correct way.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

lizard

Reaction score
I have a stock and rooted d2. The last time I manually checked for updates, it found and downloaded, this new update. Now every twelve hours I get a dialog box reminder that tells me to either install now or install later. Trying to figure out how to get rid of it now.

gunz.jones

Reaction score
Install and root again.

elcompaLalo

Reaction score
I have a stock and rooted d2. The last time I manually checked for updates, it found and downloaded, this new update. Now every twelve hours I get a dialog box reminder that tells me to either install now or install later. Trying to figure out how to get rid of it now.

Do you not want to install it? If not, since your rooted it might not install successfully. Once it tells you that it won't prompt you for any update untill you manually go back in setting and check for one.

However, I am not sure that being rooted means that it won't install. Some say they have updated when rooted and lost root. Others (like me) could not update while rooted.

MrKleen

Reaction score

LOL install it and it will go away!

Bigjr200

Reaction score
I have the same situation it kept popping up "UPDATE" every 12 hrs so I hit ok update. Now it trys downloading the update every 5-10 mins shuts down to install, runs into an error and starts back up telling me it failed. It's done this process now 10-15 times this morning. Its very difficult to do any thing on my phone when its restarting to install update every 10 min. HELP!!!

gunz.jones

Reaction score
You may have to flash the update through sbf or download a hacked copy to make it thin it's updated....

zero7404

Reaction score
can the motorola UI be disabled (stock android UI) on this phone ?

Not disabled, but since your rooted you can load a custom ROM that doesn't have Motoblur on it, but no, most you can do without a custom ROM is delete some of the bloated system apps, but nothing with blur in it, and some others.

thanks ... what i meant by 'this phone' is the droid 2, not the droid.

noticed the X has the same skin/customization. i prefer stock, so taking that into consideration if i decided to buy ...