Droid 2 OTA Update soon?

droiddos

Reaction score
I've never used the radio, so don't know, sorry :)

OK, someone smarter than me needs to check this out before unleashing to the masses. Here's the story.

I already had an update.zip in my sdcard folder (from the previous manual update).

After bumbling around for a bit, I found a file in my cache folder called "Blur_Version.2.2.20.A955.Verizon.en.US.zip". I said that this can't be the right file. I'm looking for a 2.3.20 file... Copied the file anyway. Bumbled all around the folder structure and couldn't find anything "better".

After installing the update this file has vanished from my cache folder, so perhaps it is actually the correct file??? I don't know. The file is posted at http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10937565/Droid/Blur.zip but please use carefully.

I'm not going to post directions for how to manually update, as I'm not sure that this will work and would like someone who actually knows to test it first :)

jason

i just want to confirm that i renamed that file update and put it on the root of my SD card and updated via stock motorola recovery and it booted up fine into 2.3.20 with a baseband of BP_C_01.09_07P and a kernel version of 2.6.32.9-g462500fdbretzm1@il93lnxdroid22 #1

thanks to cloppy for trying first, your so much braver then i am

Canadroid

Reaction score
i just want to confirm that i renamed that file update and put it on the root of my SD card and updated via stock motorola recovery and it booted up fine into 2.3.20 with a baseband of BP_C_01.09_07P and a kernel version of 2.6.32.9-g462500fdbretzm1@il93lnxdroid22 #1

You guys are tempting me really bad to try and get this going now! :biggrin:

I'm rooted but the wife is not on her D2; I think I'll just force myself to be patient as I'm curious to see which phone VZW pushes OTA to first--or if it will be relatively simultaneous as both handsets are on a family plan.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

You guys are tempting me really bad to try and get this going now! :biggrin:

I'm rooted but the wife is not on her D2; I think I'll just force myself to be patient as I'm curious to see which phone VZW pushes OTA to first--or if it will be relatively simultaneous as both handsets are on a family plan.

If you are rooted and you accept the update it's going to remove the root from your Droid.

phrozen087

Reaction score

OK, someone smarter than me needs to check this out before unleashing to the masses. Here's the story.

I already had an update.zip in my sdcard folder (from the previous manual update).

After bumbling around for a bit, I found a file in my cache folder called "Blur_Version.2.2.20.A955.Verizon.en.US.zip". I said that this can't be the right file. I'm looking for a 2.3.20 file... Copied the file anyway. Bumbled all around the folder structure and couldn't find anything "better".

After installing the update this file has vanished from my cache folder, so perhaps it is actually the correct file??? I don't know. The file is posted at http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10937565/Droid/Blur.zip but please use carefully.

I'm not going to post directions for how to manually update, as I'm not sure that this will work and would like someone who actually knows to test it first :)

jason

I got real antsy waiting for the update also and saw that 2 people had gotten this to work. I downloaded the blur.zip, renamed it to update.zip, rebooted in the stock recovery and everything worked perfect. So I can confirm this worked for me also. Thanks!

I figured I'd post a few quick notes in case anyone else was wondering this:
1) I was rooted prior to updating and left my device rooted during the update.
2) I hadn't recieved the OTA so I copied the update.zip posted by jasnmar
3) I simply rebooted with power+x and selected "apply update.zip". I used the stock recovery (I don't have clockwork recovery installed, so you don't need this to update this way).
4) Just waited until it applied and it rebooted right back into the normal os with the update applied.
5) After the update it did unroot my device
6) I used the 1-2-3 root from XDA developers. It failed the first time, but I just selected run again and it rooted successfully.
7) If I check the device update now it says that I am up-to-date on my software.

Everything is running great now and my baseband and kernel are updated to the latest versions. Wifi problems seem to be fixed also and things like the Applications manager and other system settings appear to be much smoother. Lock screen also doesn't lag as bad now. Hope this helps if anyone was thinking about it and still felt uneasy!

Lithoss

Reaction score

jason

I got real antsy waiting for the update also and saw that 2 people had gotten this to work. I downloaded the blur.zip, renamed it to update.zip, rebooted in the stock recovery and everything worked perfect. So I can confirm this worked for me also. Thanks!

I figured I'd post a few quick notes in case anyone else was wondering this:
1) I was rooted prior to updating and left my device rooted during the update.
2) I hadn't recieved the OTA so I copied the update.zip posted by jasnmar
3) I simply rebooted with power+x and selected "apply update.zip". I used the stock recovery (I don't have clockwork recovery installed, so you don't need this to update this way).
4) Just waited until it applied and it rebooted right back into the normal os with the update applied.
5) After the update it did unroot my device
6) I used the 1-2-3 root from XDA developers. It failed the first time, but I just selected run again and it rooted successfully.
7) If I check the device update now it says that I am up-to-date on my software.

Everything is running great now and my baseband and kernel are updated to the latest versions. Wifi problems seem to be fixed also and things like the Applications manager and other system settings appear to be much smoother. Lock screen also doesn't lag as bad now. Hope this helps if anyone was thinking about it and still felt uneasy!

i'd love to do this but pwr+x for 5 seconds on boot refuses to do anything for me other than show the droid symbol with the error dialog....

Cloppy

Reaction score
At that screen after the android shows up press the search button or magnifying glass on the keyboard. Pressing this button in the recovery will make the button show up.

OP
R
Reaction score
The teardown of the droid 2 on ifixit.com shows a 3630 processor
Isy3EsvPnj1xLCUB.medium

Hold on, who is right then? ifixit is a pretty reputable source, but motorola itself is telling people on their motorola developer site that the droid 2 has a 3620 processor. Look for yourself.

MOTODEV > Products > Compare Motorola Products

OP
R
Reaction score
you can manually update now. And the droid 2 is capable of 4G?

Link? I haven't seen anything about a manual update.

No the D2 will not do 4G. I'm confused about that post of 4g rolling out in SF.
No manual update either...still trying.
I do achieve 4G LTE speed on my Verizon USB modem and netbook. I am unaware if the D2 is capable of this (Is does say 3G+ on data indicator, but I'm unaware of what that actually indicates).

It's not possible for the droid 2 to achieve 4G speeds, it needs an LTE radio. I personally don't think 4G is that great, you can achieve "4G" speeds through your houses wifi connection. I'm hitting 5mbps on my houses wifi. That's only because our wired connection is only 6mbps though, not to mention my room is exactly 5 feet from the wireless modem.

Canadroid

Reaction score
If you are rooted and you accept the update it's going to remove the root from your Droid.

Roger that--is there an added risk I've missed here by just allowing that to happen?

Other than some apps I've now un-frozen with TB I have not used the root access for anything besides Kousch Boostrapper (for a single backup). Unless I'm absolutely required to restore to stock with RSD and the correct file, I would rather just attempt to regain root access after the update. :unsure:

Lithoss

Reaction score
At that screen after the android shows up press the search button or magnifying glass on the keyboard. Pressing this button in the recovery will make the button show up.
That works perfectly, thanks! Running 2.3.20 now

I have definitely noticed overall system speed improvement. Much more smooth.

Anyway, just thought id mention that this manual update method (blur.zip to update.zip) only works with the stock recovery screen.
The bootstrapper used for loading roms throws an error. This might be an obvious thing for some but wasn't for me so i just thought I'd throw it out there.

aristo1963

Reaction score
OP
R
Reaction score
screensnaperimagen.png

Well, this doesn't directly prove which processor the Droid 2 has, but it does show the differences between the 3630 and 3620.

j1999t

Reaction score

jason

will doing this erase all files on the droid 2? if so, id rather wait and get it from motorola/vzw