Droid 2 Global ROOT, CUSTOM RECOVERY & SIM UNLOCK Tutorial

leobg

Reaction score
Z4Root cannot be classified as virus IMO. It does not do anything harmful to the phone without user's consent. Viruses and malware do 'their job' without user's consent.

More appropriate would be "hack tool" classification Symantec uses for example.

BB2Droid

Reaction score
rooted

Thanks. Great instructions... was able to root on my first try.
I have a question on step #2.

2. Go to Settings -> Applications and make sure "Unknown sources - Allow installation of non-Market applications" is checked. Then click "Development" on the same page and make sure "USB debugging" is checked.

After I am rooted, do I uncheck "Unknown sources - Allow installation of non-Market applications" and also uncheck "USB debugging"?

LGOP

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. It took a few attempts until is loaded up, but still accomplished in about 10 minutes. Downloaded wireless tether, worth its weight in gold.

I am new to this, been doing a lot of reading.

Next step after rooting? Been looking for a thread that has the 1,2,3 steps after root. Do I need to install a recovery file or does zroot fill that void. If I want to download a custom theme, as I understand it, I need to download a ROM? Is there a thread for D2G that breaks it down Barney Rubble style?

Thanks

LGOP

Reaction score
thanks, that definately helped. I am still having not so great battery life, even though I applied Titanium to freeze bloat, juice defender, extended batt, i get about 12 hours with light use. Not that I have root, should i underclock to improve batt life? If so, what is the app or method? I currently am rooted with Zroot, havent done anything else except titanium and wireless tether

Thanks

LGOP

Reaction score
google is your friend. Downloaded setcpu, saw some settings that seemed to match my usage
Temp > 42C 600/600
Screen Off 600/300 (no wake issues for me)
Charging AC 1000/600
Battery < 21% 600/300
Battery < 31% 800/300
Battery < 41% 1000/300

Hope to see some improvement in batt life.

Kgoerz

Reaction score
Just ran z4root and it worked on the 1st try!
Thanks, all.

Dolfns99

Reaction score
wanting to root "but acting like a *****" have a couple more questions

Ok so I have really been wanting to root my phone I have the Droid 2 Global, but Maybe I have read to much and I am confused! I know I need to root with z4root, and I know I need a sbf file, but maybe I have missed it somewhere along the way but what I am under the impression is there is no sbf file for the D2G as of yet! Also I need to have a bootstrap program as well, Right? maybe Im missing something I have read cut I seem confused! and another thing, using z4root, is that the same thing as gingerbread? Is there any custom ROM's out there available for the D2G? It just seems like alot of the post I have read are quite old, so I just need update on this.
So for what I need to root is..
1. Z4Root
2. Bootstrap app
3. Sbf file
and If I brick phone
1. sbf file
and to return to stock?
Thanks to all who help me understand. Im ready to root!

Aerone

Reaction score
Alright, I'm kinda new here and I'm contemplating on whether to get a Droid 2 or not. I want to sim unlock the Droid 2 fully and put it on something like tmobile. I skimed through the posts above and noticed that Verizon has carrier locked their droids... Is there any way for me to fully unlock my Droid 2 and get it on T-Mobile?

healy1818

Reaction score
Ok so I have really been wanting to root my phone I have the Droid 2 Global, but Maybe I have read to much and I am confused! I know I need to root with z4root, and I know I need a sbf file, but maybe I have missed it somewhere along the way but what I am under the impression is there is no sbf file for the D2G as of yet! Also I need to have a bootstrap program as well, Right? maybe Im missing something I have read cut I seem confused! and another thing, using z4root, is that the same thing as gingerbread? Is there any custom ROM's out there available for the D2G? It just seems like alot of the post I have read are quite old, so I just need update on this.
So for what I need to root is..
1. Z4Root
2. Bootstrap app
3. Sbf file
and If I brick phone
1. sbf file
and to return to stock?
Thanks to all who help me understand. Im ready to root!

Hey, I have a Droid 2 Global as well and I was just as confused as you were when I first got mine. Luckily, thru trial and error I figured it out. So I hope I can help you.

Ok in order to Root your D2G:
Download the z4root.apk and place it on your sdcard.
Go to Files on your phone and tap on z4root.apk and itll install just like an app.
open z4root and click on permanent root.
It might take a few mins and your phone may restart it self.
Once its finished though, turn off your phone and turn it back on.
After that youll be rooted.

Currently there are no ROMs that are specifically made for the D2G.
A great guide on the ROMs that can work on the D2G can be found here: [ROM Tools] Team Get~R~Done D2G Rom-er Tool - a tool Convert D2 Roms for use on D2G - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum
On the Android Market i highly recommend you download Droid 2 Recovery Bootstrap. It is the easiest way to get in Clockwork Recovery Mode.
In order to get into Clockwork Recovery you have to open up the Recovery Bootstrap app and tap Bootstrap Recovery and then tap on Reboot Recovery
Your phone will reset itself.
You have to hold the down volume button and the OK button on the physical keyboard until you get into Clockwork Recovery.

SBF for the D2G is in case your phone gets really messed up. and You have to download a bunch of drivers from the Motorola website.

If you need anything else let me know. Hope this helps.

healy1818

Reaction score
Alright, I'm kinda new here and I'm contemplating on whether to get a Droid 2 or not. I want to sim unlock the Droid 2 fully and put it on something like tmobile. I skimed through the posts above and noticed that Verizon has carrier locked their droids... Is there any way for me to fully unlock my Droid 2 and get it on T-Mobile?

A Droid 2 Global is what I think you meant. You cant unlock the SIM on the phone unless you have been a Verizon customer for at least a year or so, and you have to have a good standing with Verizon such as no past due amounts. I do not think you can use it on T-Mobile even if you got an unlock. Plus remember T-Mobile is probably gonna be bought by ATT. So that is something else youll have to consider. But as far as I know you cant use the Droid 2 Global on T-Mobile. Hope this helps.

healy1818

Reaction score
So what all Carriers can I use then if I do unlock it?

If you travel outside of the US its whatever Carrier your phone automatically connects to. Unfortunately, internet, calling, and texting is very very expensive outside the US. I got grandfathered in on Verizons Unlimited International Internet plan so my cost is considerably less. In most places its about $20 for 1MB of data. Calling from your Verizon phone outside the US is like $2.50 a minute. Texting is $0.50 to send a text and $0.05 to recieve texts. If you go to Verizons website and go to hover over the Plans section and click on International Services you can pick the country you might travel to and see what the different rates are. I hope this helps you. If you need anything else just let me know.

Aerone

Reaction score
Well, I'm looking for Carriers in the USA to use the Droid 2 on lol.