Droid 2 Global ROOT, CUSTOM RECOVERY & SIM UNLOCK Tutorial

healy1818

Reaction score
Well, I'm looking for Carriers in the USA to use the Droid 2 on lol.

Oh lol. If you are talking about the Droid 2 specifically, Verizon will be the only carrier to my knowledge because it is a CDMA phone and Verizon and Sprint are the only carriers who use CDMA. But Verizon would never release your Droid 2 to be used on Sprint. I dont know if Sprint would even be able to activate the Droid 2.

Aerone

Reaction score
Lol Geez.. I thought Verizon was GSM too or w/e T-Mobile is.

healy1818

Reaction score

Yeah T-Mobile and ATT is GSM. But remember Verizon is rolling out its 4G LTE so you might want to think about getting a 4G phone relatively soon.

Aerone

Reaction score
Lol, if a 3G Droid is this "hard" to obtain, 4G will be impossible for my budget lol.

healy1818

Reaction score
Lol, if a 3G Droid is this "hard" to obtain, 4G will be impossible for my budget lol.

All the Droids are 3G. Verizon has its own version of 3G. I think the Thunderbolt is $200 with a new 2 year contract. Just do some browsing on Verizon's website as far as phones go and just pick wisely. :)

healy1818

Reaction score
Well, the thing is... I'm looking for no contract plans..

ohh...well Verizon does offer Month to Month plans. If I were you I'd call them and just ask questions about it. They are really amazing on the phone. They can help with anything you have questions about.

Aerone

Reaction score
I know but the month to month plan will run me about 100 a month.

silver6054

Reaction score
OK, the Droid 2 Global is both CDMA and GSM. However, the GSM part is a little tricky....

As you probably know: to use a different SIM, you will need to get a SIM unlock code, which may be hard if you are not a customer (but some unlock services can help with this). Once you do this, you can get cheap data and calls abroad, (much cheaper for calls than the discontinued unlimited data plan, and comparable for data). Without unlocking, you are restricted to the supplied Vodafone SIM, which is very very expensive abroad without the grandfathered plan.

In the US, there is another problem to do with the carrier lock. Without doing more, you cannot use GSM in the US, the phone will detect the signal but will not allow a connection to be made. Team Black Hat offer a fix for this (for $100) that allow the phone to work on GSM in the US. Lots of caveats, including that you cannot get any more system upgrades, as these will break the hack.

Lastly, the Droid 2 Global cannot receive the T-Mobile 3G band at all (no radio for this). So on T-mobile, even with the $100 hack, you are restricted to EDGE/GPRS, an expensive solution for that. AT&T 3G will work after the hack.

Hope that helps.

TRIKOTRET

Reaction score
just got off the phone with verizon. the only way they'll give me the unlock code is once I leave the country and enter the country sim. once the device asks for a lock code, to give them a call and they'll give me the code. I told this is very weird and what if I had problems over seas with activating the phone

silver6054

Reaction score
just got off the phone with verizon. the only way they'll give me the unlock code is once I leave the country and enter the country sim. once the device asks for a lock code, to give them a call and they'll give me the code. I told this is very weird and what if I had problems over seas with activating the phone

That sounds confused! Certainly you need a foreign SIM, may be they are thinking you cannot test that it works in the US (which is true with the carrier lock). I would call again and hope to get a different person.
Failing that, try calling collect and say you are in whichever place you choose.

TRIKOTRET

Reaction score

That sounds confused! Certainly you need a foreign SIM, may be they are thinking you cannot test that it works in the US (which is true with the carrier lock). I would call again and hope to get a different person.
Failing that, try calling collect and say you are in whichever place you choose.

Well he said that the system will recognize a foreign sim. Thats when i need to call. very weird.