Droid 2 Global Battery Life

zero7404

Reaction score
From what i can tell, the droid system will keep your proc underclocked to 300 Mhz at all times when the phone is idle (not low power sleep, mind you, but screen off, apps not active). Then, when you unlock your screen it gets ramped up to full speed. It's a shame that even after 40+ years the modern cpu cannot truly dynamically scale to any given load....ahh the pratfalls of dated cmos....

Sent from the F-Zero cockpit on my D2G

is the cpu behavior you mentioned part of stock android behavior ? if so, using setcpu may interfere with that .... so i should shoot a question over to the developer about this.

jbinbi

Reaction score
thanks for this. just found this thread after reading and posting this in another shorter one.

i had a d1 which i loved. upgraded to d2g. not exactly a newbie with this stuff, but at this point, to do testing, i have swithced back to my d1. I am not a heavy user, but I have every radio on, bt, wfi, gps. I have about 10 min of call a day, 10 texts, use touchdown with activesync to get emails. I don't reply on the phone, but do check it when away from my desk. my d1 normally goes 24 hours before running out.

I have my d2g just sitting with wifi on. rooted. setcpu set to max of 1ghz. have bt, gps off. wifi will check emails of course, but i don't turn the screen on. i do have enable data to on however. phone lasts maybe 8 hours just sitting on my desk. i don't touch it. un acceptable. . shouldn't i get more than 8 hrs without it doing anythng?! I shouldn't have to purchase an extended battery to have the phone last 8hr essentially in standby. will try to turn off data, but thought this would prevent me from getting updates and email.

would really like to keep this d2g as i love the speed, no lags, and global.

a. does anyone know if the d2, not global has this issue? I do have the gms radio turned off, but i thought this is the only diff between phones.
b. i am going to return this phone to vzw for another one to see if it fixes it. can't think of anything else.

ExodusC

Reaction score
b. i am going to return this phone to vzw for another one to see if it fixes it. can't think of anything else.

Please let me know if your new D2G still has the problem. If the new one doesn't, I'm returning mine to Verizon as well.

Sent from my Droid 2 Global using the DroidForums App.

kenstar

Reaction score
i'll just leave this here ;]
snap20110116103824.png

C.Claussen

Reaction score
Well, I've had one for about a week now. Im not that happy with battery life. But I understand it. Use the task manager to kill the alps running in background. Also turn the backlight on the screen down. These phones are powered by a lot bigger engine than were used to. V8. Compared to a fuel efficient hybrid. Ill take the trade

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

Reaction score
snap20110116103824.png

I'm becoming convinced many of us have defective Droid 2 Globals.

There's nothing wrong with your phone. It's all in usage and how your phone is set up. That one day nine hours was full of doing almost nothing. The highest use is screen (that's normal), but the highest non-system user of battery was facebook at 2%. In that 1 day 9 hours, kenstar sent negligible texts, didn't play games, didn't make voice calls, etc etc.... If I just let my phone sit from 100%-15%, I bet I could pull 3 days out of it, easy.

shaddix

Reaction score
I'm getting rid of mine :( called and cancelled my service(i've only had it for a week). I will wait on the thunderbolt or bionic

ExodusC

Reaction score
snap20110116103824.png

There's nothing wrong with your phone. It's all in usage and how your phone is set up. That one day nine hours was full of doing almost nothing. The highest use is screen (that's normal), but the highest non-system user of battery was facebook at 2%. In that 1 day 9 hours, kenstar sent negligible texts, didn't play games, didn't make voice calls, etc etc.... If I just let my phone sit from 100%-15%, I bet I could pull 3 days out of it, easy.
You don't understand. Some of us LET our phones sit doing NOTHING, with virtually all connectivity off, and we still burn through 10% per hour like this.

I'm fairly certain some of the phones are defective.

C.Claussen

Reaction score
Yes. It must be broken. Let's all assume that. Its easy

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

Reaction score

You don't understand. Some of us LET our phones sit doing NOTHING, with virtually all connectivity off, and we still burn through 10% per hour like this.

I'm fairly certain some of the phones are defective.

I'd say it's more likely that some combination of apps/settings that you have is radically different from what us more conservative users run. I posted my full setup, how does yours compare?

weapon-x-1

Reaction score
@all seriously guys i was a bb user (8330) i lost my phone and was planning to go for D2G but after reading post in this forum , made me totally confused weather to buy it or not , guys plz advice me weather to buy it or not , if not to buy this please suggest me another gud phone with such features.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
From what i can tell, the droid system will keep your proc underclocked to 300 Mhz at all times when the phone is idle (not low power sleep, mind you, but screen off, apps not active). Then, when you unlock your screen it gets ramped up to full speed. It's a shame that even after 40+ years the modern cpu cannot truly dynamically scale to any given load....ahh the pratfalls of dated cmos....

is the cpu behavior you mentioned part of stock android behavior ? if so, using setcpu may interfere with that .... so i should shoot a question over to the developer about this.

Ahh no i mean it is stock android behavior to limit the proc when not in use, but using setcpu basically rewrites the values in android. It isnt interfering with anything, only modifying the already existing values.

Mr. Killzone

Reaction score
@all seriously guys i was a bb user (8330) i lost my phone and was planning to go for D2G but after reading post in this forum , made me totally confused weather to buy it or not , guys plz advice me weather to buy it or not , if not to buy this please suggest me another gud phone with such features.

For me, buying an extended battery and managing what apps and programs are running, the Droid 2 is a very good phone. The only main complaint from people seems to be battery life. I prefer the Droid to the Blackberry because it seems that the Droid Market has many more free apps than the BB and, in my opinion, is easier to navigate and use.

dtalitho

Reaction score
After having my D2G a month I have realized several things.

1- ALWAYS charge via AC plug not USB, it is faster. I can charge in the morning while I drink my coffee with no problem. (I was having issues leaving it plugged in all night)

2; I got a Multimedia station for work to listen to Sirius radio and it charges while I listen so this allows me to have full charge all day.

3; when I complained about the battery dis-charging during the night, Verizon sent me a new one. I charged it and keep it with me as a just in case.

Basically I just adjusted my habits to fit this amazing phone. It is SO WORTH IT!