Droid 2 Corporate Contacts wrong

Karrillion

Reaction score
I just got the Droid 2 today. My old Droid just got the froyo update a couple days ago. All of the corporate contacts synched onto that phone are fine.

My Droid 2 has synched corporate contacts except it's missing a lot of them and it's brough in tons of contacts that aren't even in my address book in Outlook.

It's brought in email addresses from emails I've replied to in the past but they're mostly ppl I don't want in my address book.

Anyone know of a fix to this? I've already removed the corporate account and put it back in, but it pulls down the same stuff.

Also, facebook contacts are screwed. Instead of synching with existing contacts, it's pulling in EVERYONE, which I don't want. Any ideas on that?

Thanks.

ZPrime

Reaction score
It probably pulled in contacts from your GMail account. As long as they are NOT showing in corporate (Outlook), try this:
wipe your phone - settings -> privacy -> erase data
When you re-setup, do NOT configure a google account during the initial setup
Add the google account later, and immediately after adding it, go to settings -> accounts -> and uncheck contact sync from the gmail/google account.

I wish it would prompt whether you want to sync everything from a google account when you initially set it up. :( Google's contacts are worthless so I keep all of mine in Exchange. You have to "catch" it before it syncs all that crap.

If it is MISSING corporate contacts, that's a bit odd. Double check they are in Outlook.

OP
K

Karrillion

Reaction score
They are definitely not coming from my gmail account. I have only 2 contacts in it. It's very strange because it has some contacts right, and others are completely missing. The ones I don't want are definitely from my corporate account.

Also, I can't seem to download the Facebook app and the social networking app adds in my facebook contacts and shows ALL of them in contacts unless I specifically change it.

I've checked and double checked. All my contacts are correct in Outlook. They're correct in my Droid 1, but they're completely screwed in the Droid 2. This is not good since I need to have all those contacts. My GF's phone number isn't even showing up so I'm really f'd.

ZPrime

Reaction score
It's brought in email addresses from emails I've replied to in the past but they're mostly ppl I don't want in my address book.
This is what makes me think it's GMail's fault, because GMail does this. It adds addresses that you use frequently to the "contacts" list in GMail which is stupid.

What version of Exchange does your office use?

ZPrime

Reaction score
Hmm. I just looked at my contacts for the first time and I too am missing a ton of stuff.

Again, Droid Xs in my organization don't have problems (the CEO has one and he would've complained if he were missing stuff). Looks like another Corp Sync bug on D2.

OP
K

Karrillion

Reaction score
Yeah, I believe it must be something to do with the Motorola OS shell, not the Android OS. My Droid 1 has 2.2 (Froyo) and everything is fine. There are tons of options missing in the Accouns Sync menu, especially where Facebook is concerned.

Apparently the corporate sync is somehow finding people I've emailed before and added them to my contacts even though they're definitely not in my contacts list in Outlook.

I spent a useless hour on the phone with Verizon tech support and they claimed it must be the email server. I explained that my Droid 1 is running virtually identical software and it has no problems. Whatever Motorola did to change corporate sync and social networking sync, they F'd it up hardcore for a release day bug.

BTW I'm running Exchange 2003 Enterprise in a clustered environment. I'm about to upgrade to Exchange Enterprise 2010. Hope that doesn't screw things up.

Reaction score
I too am having a nightmare with the contacts. Using Exchange as well....Old contacts from old groups I created and deleted are showing up. Its a complete disaster.....

OP
K

Karrillion

Reaction score
I had them reactivate my Droid 1 for the time being. I dunno if it's worth calling Motorola for troubleshooting. Maybe I should call just to let them know that, "YO! YEAH YOU!" *points at droid 2* "IT'S BROKE!"

ZPrime

Reaction score
It's definitely a bug specific to Droid2's version of Blur (they can lie all they want, it's still running Blur). I say this because I just tried my wife's Droid X against my own account, and hers works fine and pulls all of my contacts. My D2 is missing a very large chunk.

The random "people you've emailed showing up" seems to be from something called "suggested contacts." I am running Outlook 2010 and I think that might be where it's coming from, but I have no idea why it's being sync'd to the phone. (Those were showing up on the Droid X as well, but so were the rest of my contacts.)

The "missing Facebook options" are due to the fact that it isn't running the normal Facebook app, it is the Blur-ized version. Unfortunately it doesn't let you choose the setting for "only sync data for contacts I already have", which is really annoying. I used that option so I could get contact pictures without getting all 200+ facebook "Friends" on my contact list.

BTW I'm running Exchange 2003 Enterprise in a clustered environment. I'm about to upgrade to Exchange Enterprise 2010. Hope that doesn't screw things up.
Good luck with that. :) There's no direct upgrade path from 2k3 to 2010. You have to use a "swing" E2k7 server. You don't ever actually have to transfer any mailboxes to the 2k7 server, but you need it there as a "bridge" to allow mailboxes to be moved from 2k3 to the 2k10 box. We are currently running 2k7 Enterprise (clustered here too). ;)

Reaction score
My extra contacts are coming from old groups that I have deleted. I work in the real estate profession as IT support, so in the past I created contact lists that had all of the realtors in my town. Somehow, all of these old contact lists (contact groups i deleted years ago) are showing up on the Droid2.

I just tried a wipe of the phone, and am going to try again, but not having much faith in the process....

Will post results...

OP
K

Karrillion

Reaction score
I'm also using Outlook 2010. It uses a file called Outlook.nk2 which is in the local settings directory depending on which OS you're running. It caches all the email addresses you've used so they show up again if you're retyping them.

But if the Droid 2 was really pulling from that, I'd have thousands of email addresses in all likelyhood. So there's obviously a chunk of code that's wrong.

They REALLY need to fix the FB app. GRRRR. I can't even download it from the marketplace. Instead of "Install" it says "Cancel Download". When I click that, marketplace crashes and I have to force close. Does that happen to you as well?

I really wish they'd leave the extra crap out and just let Android be.

As for Exchange, I'm planning on moving away from a cluster and going to the new Database Availability Group function which is what I really wanted in the first place. The cluster still has a single point of failure with the shared hard drives. DAG sounds like a good thing. It sucks I'm going to need to do the 2007 thing. I believe I can download it thru my volume licensing agreement. I just recently upgraded the domain from Win2000 to Win 2008. Hopefully that'll make things a little less painful.

Reaction score
I am wondering where Exchange is "hiding" these contacts? I deleted these contacts years ago, before I even switched to Exchange...

So far, not "loving" the D2....

Yes, and the FB app adding everyone to the contacts....just what we all want I am sure...

OP
K

Karrillion

Reaction score
Have you been using Outlook all this time even before Exchange? If so runs a search for Outlook.nk2 under Documents and Settings (win XP) or Users in Vista/Win7. It caches all those email addys.

Reaction score
No, my nk2 file didnt get moved to the new profile when i switched to Exchange. I was just too lazy. These are definately old contacts that got deleted. If you go to view groups on the D2, its showing all of these old groups that were deleted years ago...

I wiped the phone, but its not looking good at this point.

ZPrime

Reaction score
Yeah, there's no way it is pulling from the nk2 file as the Exchange server never sees that, and the Droid is talking to the Exchange server and not your desktop. If moneyfornothing is getting stuff that was deleted in the past, the only thing I can chalk it up to is the strangeness that is MAPI and Exchange. Karrillion, if you're having trouble on E2k3, I'm also having it on 2k7 so that rules out the Exchange version itself as the cause.

Not that I ever really thought it was Exchange's fault, since again, the Droid X works fine.

I was able to download/install Facebook, and even setup an account, but the MotoBlur overlay on the accounts option in Settings prevents me from allowing it to sync with contacts. I still have to setup a Blur-based Facebook logon if I want my pictures to pull in. This is the same thing I hate about HTC Sense and their Facebook integration. These companies don't understand that people have a mix of business and personal and we want control over what we're using, not the stupidity of syncing all of our Facebook friends (a vast majority who I almost never talk to) into our personal "Contact DB."