Droid 2 Corporate Contacts wrong

Reaction score
Yeah, there's no way it is pulling from the nk2 file as the Exchange server never sees that, and the Droid is talking to the Exchange server and not your desktop. If moneyfornothing is getting stuff that was deleted in the past, the only thing I can chalk it up to is the strangeness that is MAPI and Exchange. Karrillion, if you're having trouble on E2k3, I'm also having it on 2k7 so that rules out the Exchange version itself as the cause.

Not that I ever really thought it was Exchange's fault, since again, the Droid X works fine.

I was able to download/install Facebook, and even setup an account, but the MotoBlur overlay on the accounts option in Settings prevents me from allowing it to sync with contacts. I still have to setup a Blur-based Facebook logon if I want my pictures to pull in. This is the same thing I hate about HTC Sense and their Facebook integration. These companies don't understand that people have a mix of business and personal and we want control over what we're using, not the stupidity of syncing all of our Facebook friends (a vast majority who I almost never talk to) into our personal "Contact DB."

Yea, the Facebook thing was very annoying as well. It just started adding everyone to my contacts....I don't talk to any of those people either...

Droid2 is sucking right now....

Kamokazi

Reaction score
It seems to be pulling addresses from every person I ever sent a message to, because that is all I have in my freaking contacts, along with my Facebook 'friends'. Ton's of addresses that have never been an actual contact, nor in the GAL.

And of course, all my actual contacts I need are no where to be seen. Good times.

MattTucker

Reaction score
Add another one to the list of people with missing contacts from the corporate synch with an Exchange Server 2003 SP2.

I only have some of my contacts, no rhyme or reason as to why all of them are not pulling in. The Calendar and Email appear to be working.....but no so well on the contacts.

What are the chances of seeing a fix soon?

ZPrime

Reaction score
If you're using Outlook 2010 and getting contacts you don't think you should be getting, this could be the problem:
Black On Stuff Blog Archive How to disable Suggested Contacts in Outlook 2010

There's a "suggested contacts" thing. O2k10 makes a new contact list and this does get sync'd to Exchange. You can't completely delete the list, but you can disable the feature in Outlook (see the link) and then wipe the suggestions from the list, which should stop some of this strangeness.

It didn't solve my problem with half of my normal contacts not showing up at all though.

mattmonsour

Reaction score
and add another. Using exchange 2007. Just like everyone else, e-mail and calendar seem fine but a seemingly random (and very small) subset of my contacts come through.

Anyone know where to look for a fix or have any suggestions of something to try? I'm new to Android so am feeling particularly lost.

OP
K

Karrillion

Reaction score
I wish we could uninstall Blur.

The corporate contacts bug is going to cause a stir, but I'd imagine the Facebook issue will cause unrest amongst the general populace that don't know what Exchange is. I hope Motorola gets an earful soon and pushes out a fix. Otherwise the Droid2 is gonna have to go back. I'm using my Droid 1 until it's fixed.

By the way, I'm trying to hard reset my Droid 2. I powered down, pressed "X" and now I'm at the screen with the Droid and the exclamation mark, but pressing the camera button and volume up simultaneously does nothing. I've pressed them about a zillion times. Did they change this?

ZPrime

Reaction score
and add another. Using exchange 2007. Just like everyone else, e-mail and calendar seem fine but a seemingly random (and very small) subset of my contacts come through.

Anyone know where to look for a fix or have any suggestions of something to try? I'm new to Android so am feeling particularly lost.
Until Motorola gets their act together, try the program called "Touchdown for Exchange" from the Market. There's a free trial, I believe it's 30 days.

It works fairly well although I don't think it integrates as well as Corp Sync does.

Your other option is to return your Droid2 and try a Droid X, as it presently doesn't seem to suffer from these issues. (Hopefully it won't "gain" them when they update it to Android v2.2 like the Droid2 shipped with.)

ZPrime

Reaction score
I wish we could uninstall Blur.
I don't mind Blur itself, I just wish they didn't make it "clobber" the other settings. :( For some reason when you install the normal Facebook app, it sees Blur and doesn't allow you to get to the sync options. I even tried using AnyCut to create a new Action shortcut that jumps straight to the default/stock Android "Accounts & Sync" page. The shortcut worked, and I can see some of the other funky stuff (there's a custom motorola item in there that they hide from you with Blur) but you still can't add the "standard" Facebook sync conduit (the one that allows selective/existing-only contact sync).

By the way, I'm trying to hard reset my Droid 2. I powered down, pressed "X" and now I'm at the screen with the Droid and the exclamation mark, but pressing the camera button and volume up simultaneously does nothing. I've pressed them about a zillion times. Did they change this?
Easy way to clear it to default is go to Settings -> Privacy -> Factory Data Reset.

OP
K

Karrillion

Reaction score
Well I bit the bullet and called Motorola tech support. You guys owe me a beer for this agony. ;P

The first guy escalated me to level 2 pretty fast so now I'm going through some steps which basically consist of adding an exception to my Exchange 2k3 server for this phone under the device security section.

Well, I don't enforce that policy so an exception is rather moot. But I'll do it so I can say I did.

By the way, can I get a poll on how many of you are using Outlook 2010?

ZPrime

Reaction score
Oh man you are crazy (re: calling support). I figured posting on their tech forums was much less painful, as the mods there are employees and can pass details to development quicker than the phone jockeys can.

I'm running Outlook 2010 against Exchange 2007. Check out what I mentioned previously regarding the random extra contacts, I think that part specifically is O2k10's fault as I recognized some of the addresses/etc.

OP
K

Karrillion

Reaction score
I can confirm that deleting the suggested contacts will remove the unwanted random contacts from synching with the phone.

But the issue of missing contacts persists.

I noticed that it seems to be pulling directly from the primary contacts folder as it should rather than the OAB's. But the vast majority of those contacts are missing.

I've looked at the contacts to see if there might be differences between them that could cause this issue. No luck thus far.

I also posted on the Motorola forums. I suggest EVERYONE who's posted here, click my link below and post your $.02 on the topic. We need them to realize this is a big issue that's going to majorly screw the Droid 2's launch.

https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/210937

mattmonsour

Reaction score
I don't see how what version of outlook you're running could make a difference. Someone care to fill me in?

The phone talks with the server, not your particular exchange client installed on your computer. If Android exhcange sync works ANYTHING like iphone or activesync you could chuck your computer out the window and your phone would never know the difference.

OP
K

Karrillion

Reaction score
Outlook 2010 automatically creates a "Suggested Contacts" address book compiled from the Outlook.nk2 folder which contains a history of anyone you've emailed or replied to.

This address book is synced with the Exchange server.

The phone is then syncing with that address book.

This is apparently an issue only with Outlook 2010, AFAIK.

waterboy73

Reaction score
Add me to the list...misery loves company...I'm anxiously awaiting the solution since as this is a disaster productivity wise.

Humbum

Reaction score
This is terrible. As far as I'm concerned, Motorola has to fix the following issues ASAP:

- Contacts not syncing in full via Exchange
- There should be an option for syncing 'Suggested Contacts" from Outlook 2010 (although this can be done from Outlook side if necessary)
- There should be an option to only sync Facebook contacts with existing contacts. Or at least to not sync contacts at all, so that you can use other Blur Facebook features.

I'm running Outlook 2010 on Exchange 2007.

I have 10 days to return this phone, which I think I'm going to have to do because I cant use this as my primary work device -- I cant even see who is calling me since most of my contacts wont sync.

Otherwise, I think the phone is great. I had the original Droid since Day 1 and up until yesterday. I like the stock Android 2.2 e-mail client over the Blur version, but I can get used to Blur and I like all of the new features, and certainly the upgraded hardware.

Please Motorola come out with a fix soon.