Gmail contact synch error

kjm018

Reaction score
I traded in my BlackBerry last week for a Droid and am loving it. I'm having trouble synching my address book, though.

The Verizon rep transferred my old phone's address book onto my Droid, and my address book there is exactly as I want it. It's never synched up with my Gmail account, though, even when I go into the Droid and try to manually request a synch.

When that synch feature is turned on, I get this constant error under notifications: "Too many contacts deletes."

The other features -- mail and calendar -- are synching up as they should.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

(For what it's worth, I want the Droid version of my address book to go onto my Gmail, and not vice versa.)

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The following is how to sync your outlook contacts with your blackberry using BlackBerry Desktop Manager. It's actually quite easy.

* Connect your blackberry to your computer and open BlackBerry Desktop Manager (make sure the proper drivers for your Blackberry are installed if this is your first time connecting - they should've came with your phone)
* From the main menu select Synchronize
* Under Configure in the left menu select Synchronization
* "Configure synchronization setting for my desktop program"
* Select Address Book > Setup
* Select Microsoft Outlook
* Select Two way or One way sync to device
* Next - Select your profile in outlook
* Click okay
* Click Synchronize from the left menu and then Synchronize (in the middle)
* Click Sync Organizer Data check box. Click Synchronize.

Export Contacts from Outlook to Android 2.0 (DROID)

Step 1

* Open Outlook and click on your contacts
* Go to File > Import and Export > Select Export to a file - Next
* Select Comma Separated Values (Windows) - Next
* Select Contacts - Next
* Save the file in a known location - Next
* Click on 'Map Custom Fields' and make sure Default Maps are set
* Click Finish

Step 2

* Click Contacts in the left menu
* Click Import in the top right
* Choose file and select the .csv file you just saved (add them to a group if you want)
* Click Import
* Your contacts will be imported into your Gmail account

Step 3

* On your Droid make sure you have connected your Gmail account
* Go to contacts > Menu > Accounts
* Select your Gmail account > Menu > Sync Now
* Your new contacts will be imported - Any duplicates should be merged.

Flawless sync and contacts and all information contained inside is perfect. (i.e. multiple phone numbers, notes, etc)

OP
K

kjm018

Reaction score
I appreciate your quick response. I must not have been clear in my question, though.

I no longer have a BlackBerry, and all of my addresses are already in my Droid phone. I want my Droid address book to show up in my Gmail account.

When I try to synch up the two, though, it errors out.

Specifically, it says:

Delete limit exceeded. There are 159 deleted items for contacts, account [email protected].

(UPDATE: I went into my Gmail account and deleted unnecessary contacts there. It dropped the number cited in that error message above, but still have the error.)

Last edited:

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
icon1.gif
Contacts

Found this post somewhere...

Could this have to do with the Verizon rep adding my contacts before my gmail account was added to the device? Going to try and reset phone and load my gmail account and then the vcards. This processed worked!

If you phone contacts will not go to gmail do the following:

If verizon rep moved out your contacts more then likely you will have a vcard on your sdcard aleady but to be safe export contacts to sdcard.

Then go into settings/privacy/factory data reset. (U will not lose your installed apps but you will lose settings.)

Once the phone is reset follow the on screen instructions

Once u have your gmail account set up go to contacts and select import contacts.

Last edited:
OP
K

kjm018

Reaction score
Still having problems

Hello. I've owned the phone for more than two weeks now, but still can't figure out this problem.

I've read quite a few forums where other people have run into this problem, but haven't really ready any solutions -- certainly none that worked for me.

I've gone on Gmail on my PC and deleted any excess contacts.

There really shouldn't be many to synch. The Gmail address book and my phone address book aren't that far off.

Anyone find any solutions yet?

Thanks!

celined

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am having similar troubles. I made sure all my outlook contacts were in my Gmail address book before I got the phone, and then when I took my blackberry in to transfer all of my personal numbers, it would not let me, giving me an error.

So I transferred them all by hand to my gmail account, and now when I try to sync my contacts, it freezes. It hasn't been updated in over 2 weeks, so I don't have a lot of my contacts. The mail and calendar have synched fine.

Have any of you found any solutions that don't mean defaulting to factory settings?

tlnemo

Reaction score
I'm having the exact same issue. Any help would be awesome.

elpee0917

Reaction score
mine was doing the same thing. i'm not sure how to sync accounts, but here's how to get rid of the icon and stop the sync process:
tap
settings/accounts & sync/[email protected]/menu button/stop sync

to prevent it from happening again, make sure your settings aren't set to automatically sync information and don't ask it to sync with gmail. hope that helps!