Droid 2 Global corporate e-mail sync issue

jeffst

Reaction score
New user, just got phone Friday. Company converting all users off BBerry.
Got the phone set-up, sync to corporate e-mail, calendar, contacts all ok. Also get Gmail ok. Worked good forst 5 days....

Today I went to check corporate email, press the icon, goes to email screen and starts to sync/refresh (red circle in upper corner lights).... And after 3 seconds I am back to the main screen, the app stopped.

Re-booted phone once and e-mail then worked ok again. Then tonight same issue again and re-booting 3x, no change. Still can't get corporate e-mail.

Corporate calendar works/syncs. Same with contacts. GMail works fine, no issue refreshing. Just corporate e-mail app.

Same result whether I use WiFi or 3G.
If I go to airplane mode (no wireless) I can open the e-mail App and it stays open, gives me message "no data connection".

I was able to get it working again .. went to corporate account, de-selected e-mail synch, went to email app and there were no e-mails, went back to corporate account and re-selected e-mail synch, then back to email and it synched all the emails and seems to be working for now
But a PITA.

Anyone else see this issue.. how to keep it from occurring in first place?

Signed,

I miss my Blackberry

ltoro

Reaction score
I have been having the same issues....corp sync worked fine when I first got my Driod 2. Then it stopped working. Everything else (calendar, gmail) works fine. I found myself having to hit refresh to check if I had gotten any mail. Here's what I've noticed...
it seems to stop working after I reset my corporate email password. I then change the password setting on corp sync. After that, it will not sync real time. My only recourse has been to remove and re-add the account. This has worked after my last 2 password changes.I was hoping gingerbread would fix the issue (2.3), but it hasn't. The exchange guy here berates Google for not simply licensing the exchange sync which (per him) is what Blackberry uses.

phaelon56

Reaction score
I had a similar issue and have just been informed by our MIS guy that an app called Canine seems to resolve the issue. I couldn't sync with Exchange at all - not ever. Spent 30 minutes on phone with VZW Tier II support and also tried Touchstone - the app that they officially support. I just got thsi news today and have not tried canine yet so can't confirm first hand.

It may be moot as I have so many other issues with this phone (horrible battery life, bad reception for calls and wi-fi, and a screen that keeps turning 90 degrees at random when the pheon has not moved positions_) that I am headed to the VZW store this evenign to get resolution or just get a different kind of phone (I have three days left under the old 30 day return policy)

VonMeers

Reaction score
New user, just got phone Friday. Company converting all users off BBerry.
Got the phone set-up, sync to corporate e-mail, calendar, contacts all ok. Also get Gmail ok. Worked good forst 5 days....

Today I went to check corporate email, press the icon, goes to email screen and starts to sync/refresh (red circle in upper corner lights).... And after 3 seconds I am back to the main screen, the app stopped.

Re-booted phone once and e-mail then worked ok again. Then tonight same issue again and re-booting 3x, no change. Still can't get corporate e-mail.

Corporate calendar works/syncs. Same with contacts. GMail works fine, no issue refreshing. Just corporate e-mail app.

Same result whether I use WiFi or 3G.
If I go to airplane mode (no wireless) I can open the e-mail App and it stays open, gives me message "no data connection".

I was able to get it working again .. went to corporate account, de-selected e-mail synch, went to email app and there were no e-mails, went back to corporate account and re-selected e-mail synch, then back to email and it synched all the emails and seems to be working for now
But a PITA.

Anyone else see this issue.. how to keep it from occurring in first place?

Signed,

I miss my Blackberry

Yeah... Some genius in our organization had the same idea.. We're spending more suport time on Break/fix with these devices than we EVER did on on our BlackBerrys.
Anyhoo... on to your problem..
Whenever we've seen this issue its been one of two things to fix it...

1) User has too many apps running and the email app won't open because its short on memory (Example yours worked once when you rebooted) Next time it happens go to Settings/Applications/Manage Applications.
Click on the running tab and see if you can kill any unnecessary applications that are running. Click on each one and when its screen comes up click on clear data. I had a similar prob yesterday because some big wig couldnt open his calendar. I killed the three games he still had running and Voila! everyhting running fine

2) And you may actually want to try this first... uninstall corporate email, reboot, reinstall Corporate email... We've found that fixes the problem with Outlook synching more times than not.

Hope that helps some... I'm still learning to support these too and I miss my BlackBerry as well. It may not have been pretty but it was secure and it got the job done!

phaelon56

Reaction score
I don't think it was too many apps running as we tried to get the sync going shortly after I got the phone. I had almost no extra apps installed and was already routinely going through as often as possible to kills apps and widgets. Don't need or want most of them and am trying to get better battery life (still a challenge!)

Turns out there's an issue with ActiveSync on our Exchange server and it won't get resolved right away. I installed K-9, am using IMAP, and it works well enough for now. Syncing my calendar through Google. I would prefer that it was all done right with one app but in these circumstances even a Blackberry wouldn't help due to our Exchange issues.

Just returned form India where I discovered that the "Droid2 Global" is a "semi-global" phone. It's dual band. Members of my group with Blackberry Verizon phones and same global roaming plan as mine got roaming access everywhere we went and I was able to get on the networks only about half the time (we moved around a lot.) If you're in a major city it's not an issue but often we weren't and the lack of equal access pissed me off.

brferreira8

Reaction score
I am being told that exchange sync on the Droid 2 global is now working flawlessly. Is that the case or is it just a rumor?