Corportate Exchange Email Issue on Droid 2

jfruut

Reaction score
I got a Droid 2 :motdroidhoriz: back in 8/24 and could not synch with the corporate exchange system. Our IT person told me there is some Motorola bug and they are handing out free touchdown licenses. I sent Motorola an email but didn't get a free license - I have no idea why.

I used the free Touchdown trial, the issue with that was the contacts did sync with the phone -- I could see the contacts in touch down, but when a call came in it would not recognize the name associated with it, so it would appear as a number. I have two contacts files in outlook it would sync with 'contacts' but not with the other one, it would find some names if I searched but not always -- so bottom line was I didn't like touchdown, it seemed not user friendly.

I am about to send back my Droid 2 and switch to the BB, the BB is here already. But before I do that, I would like to know the status of the synch with corporate email -- has that been fixed?

Also does anyone know if I can use the Droid 2 without a gmail account? I didn't like the fact that is auto synch'd with google voice and facebook friends contacts without any separation etc. For those of us who use Droid 2 for work, we may want to check FB or call using google voice, but consolidating all contacts on a work phone is very confusing.

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
You must have a Gmail account to use the D2, but you don't have to sync anything from that account to the phone if you don't want to - you can turn on/off sync for email, contacts, and calendar in account settings for the Gmail account.

D2 syncs perfectly well w/Exchange servers, but maybe only for some versions of Exchange...my company is on Exchange 2010 which may have the best results. Exchange 2003 or 2007 could have issues in some configurations.

One issue (fixed in the 2.2.20 D2 release) was that all contacts would not sync.

Check your OS version...Settings>About - should show 2.2.20. If it doesn't use the Check for Updates option and download 2.2.20.

I would suggest that you first confirm you are running 2.2.20 and if needed, upgrade to it.

Then if you want to see if you can get things to work...

Remove your corporate account from your phone.

Then do a Factor Reset (Settings>Personal>Factory Reset (this will remove all apps you have installed from the market as well as any settings...will not affect your SD card).

When the phone restarts after the reset, activate it, log into your Gmail account (your apps you had installed will automatically reinstall from the market) and then re-set up your exchange account.

Make sure after you add your Exchange account that it is set to sync contacts, calendar and email in the account settings, and that delivery is set to Push...you'll find all that in the Exchange email account settings.

If you are on 2003/2007 exchange, you might want to try "Improved Email" from mtwebster - I believe it's in the Market. Thread on it here: http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/3570-email-app-modification/

Last edited:

brferreira8

Reaction score
You must have a Gmail account to use the D2, but you don't have to sync anything from that account to the phone if you don't want to - you can turn on/off sync for email, contacts, and calendar in account settings for the Gmail account.

D2 syncs perfectly well w/Exchange servers, but maybe only for some versions of Exchange...my company is on Exchange 2010 which may have the best results. Exchange 2003 or 2007 could have issues in some configurations.

One issue (fixed in the 2.2.20 D2 release) was that all contacts would not sync.

Check your OS version...Settings>About - should show 2.2.20. If it doesn't use the Check for Updates option and download 2.2.20.

I would suggest that you first confirm you are running 2.2.20 and if needed, upgrade to it.

Then if you want to see if you can get things to work...

Remove your corporate account from your phone.

Then do a Factor Reset (Settings>Personal>Factory Reset (this will remove all apps you have installed from the market as well as any settings...will not affect your SD card).

When the phone restarts after the reset, activate it, log into your Gmail account (your apps you had installed will automatically reinstall from the market) and then re-set up your exchange account.

Make sure after you add your Exchange account that it is set to sync contacts, calendar and email in the account settings, and that delivery is set to Push...you'll find all that in the Exchange email account settings.

If you are on 2003/2007 exchange, you might want to try "Improved Email" from mtwebster - I believe it's in the Market. Thread on it here: Email App modification - CyanogenMod Forum

Your email for the d2 is still working? We use exchange 2010 as well so i want to make sure yours is still working before i purchase the phone

MsJones

Reaction score
I had the same issue but figured out I was not entering the domain name correctly. I thought our company's website address was the domain name but it wasn't. When I log onto my work laptop I noticed the domain name was different from what I was entering. I then used what was listed as the domain name on my laptop and that fixed it.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App