Droid 1 got wet- searched Forums for answer

Candace

Reaction score
hi, my 17 month old pulled the table cloth off the table causing water to spill on my phone. I immediately took the battery out- and tried to wipe everything down. before I searched the forum, (I'm a newbie) I had tried to turn the phone on- I think I shorted it out. An hour later- I tried to re-start phone w/ battery back in- I got a message that said something like Battery OK- and then something about booting up- but that's it. so I've decided to let it dry out more. I've searched the forum everywhere- and no one's mentioned what to do w/ that message: Battery OK-

question 1: how long should I let SD card, phone, cover, battery & keyboard open) air out?

question 2: what does it mean Battery OK- then this "boot message" ?

on the back i still have the white area w/ the red x so I don't think its completely water-logged- but who knows??

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
That's the bootloader. You really shouldn't have tried to start the phone for at least a day after all that water hit it as you could have shorted it out.

If the bootloader says it's okay to program you can use RSD Lite to TRY to restore the ROM data and get your phone working again, but turn it off and pull the battery and let it sit!

T-Dev

Reaction score
this will sound odd, but put it in a bag of rice. The rice will help absorb any water left behind. Good luck!

randyb69

Reaction score
Another good thing is rubbing alchohol. Leave it in there for a hour so, battery of course removed. The alchohol pushes the water out and then leave the phone dry over night, alchohol obviousy will evaporate. I have repaired phones for years, along w/ the iphone etc, works great.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

OP
Candace

Candace

Reaction score
thank you! I am letting all parts sit out and dry separately tonight. How do I do RSD Lite? is this something Verizon can walk me through? I'm not sure which forum to look for further info regarding RSD Lite. thanks.

lloyd2398

Reaction score
thank you! I am letting all parts sit out and dry separately tonight. How do I do RSD Lite? is this something Verizon can walk me through? I'm not sure which forum to look for further info regarding RSD Lite. thanks.

hello candace i just wanted to reply on your thread i have a 12month old that like my phone and she did something to cause it to get drenched in water or saliva or something but my phone would not work at all so i took it into the bathroom and used my wifes hairdryer on medium heat and fast speed i just held phone in one hand and dryer in other but kept moving it around to different spots on phone that looked like it was hitting the inside of the phone the screen was full of moisture from water inside but i kept doing it until all the moisture went away from the screen after i seen no sign of moisture then i put battery back on and started my phone up and wouldnt you know it works like a champ so you could give this method a shot also

lloyd2398

Reaction score

hello candace i just wanted to reply on your thread i have a 12month old that like my phone and she did something to cause it to get drenched in water or saliva or something but my phone would not work at all so i took it into the bathroom and used my wifes hairdryer on medium heat and fast speed i just held phone in one hand and dryer in other but kept moving it around to different spots on phone that looked like it was hitting the inside of the phone the screen was full of moisture from water inside but i kept doing it until all the moisture went away from the screen after i seen no sign of moisture then i put battery back on and started my phone up and wouldnt you know it works like a champ so you could give this method a shot also

i have a copy of the rsd lite if you would like to have

OP
Candace

Candace

Reaction score
Jeremy-
I would like to have it. I'm new to this forum stuff. Should I ask you to send me a PM or give you my email address? thanks for your reply and advice!

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
OP
Candace

Candace

Reaction score
Oh, ok thanks! I will print out the instructions and try it after letting it dry for 2 nights. I will keep you posted. thanks for being patient w/ a newbie.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Cat litter I wouldn't recommend because the dust particles are so fine it could gum things up or leave behind an abrasive mess. Plus if the bag gets moved around it could scratch everything from the case to the screen.