Droid X got wet

Status
Not open for further replies.

fomey

Reaction score
My Droid X decided to go swimming in the toilet today, but I quickly lifted it out of the water where it was still on, but I powered it off. After about 2.5 hours of drying it with a blow dryer I decided to put the battery in and give it a try. No lights came on, nothing. So I now have the battery out of the phone and am letting it dry over night or the next few days.

Last edited:

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well the official position is that that is insurance fraud. Did you have the battery out while it was drying? Also its a day late and a dollar short but that blow dryer thing probably wasn't the best idea. Try dropping it in a bag full of rice or better yet, those silica packets that come with new shoes.

tappin and a talkin

OP
F

fomey

Reaction score
Yes the battery was out the entire time it was drying and is also out now. And I am just looking for anyone that has previous experience with making an insurance claim on how it ended up with them.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well the insurance itself will cover water damage just fine. You'll have to pay your premium of course but other than that the only issue is insuring a phone that is already damaged with the intent to replace it.

tappin and a talkin

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
What you're proposing doing is fraud. You also just admitted to it in an open forum Verizon techs are known to frequent.

Here's what you can do; check the battery to see if it shorted out and is the reason why the phone won't boot as it's been known to happen, make sure the phone is in an enclosed(!) space with desiccant or at the very least some rice and leave it alone for at least 24-48 hours. Do not shake the bag as this will encourage rice dust to get into sensitive electronics. Check the water damage stickers on both the battery an in the phone to make sure they were both tripped.

Good luck.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
What you're proposing doing is fraud. You also just admitted to it in an open forum Verizon techs are known to frequent.

Here's what you can do; check the battery to see if it shorted out and is the reason why the phone won't boot as it's been known to happen, make sure the phone is in an enclosed(!) space with desiccant or at the very least some rice and leave it alone for at least 24-48 hours. Do not shake the bag as this will encourage rice dust to get into sensitive electronics. Check the water damage stickers on both the battery an in the phone to make sure they were both tripped.

Good luck.

This^^

tappin and a talkin

OP
F

fomey

Reaction score
The water stickers inside of the phone and on the battery are both how they should be - red x's with a white background. How can I check if my battery shorted?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
If the water damage stickers aren't tripped then the only thing a rep would have to go on would be your word that the phone "just stopped working" until they opened it up and saw the water damage at the factory. As such, unless you told them you dropped it in water they would simply replace the phone if you brought it into the store. However, this also constitutes fraud.

Got a volt meter? Best way to check for a dead battery. Other than that the best I can suggest is stick it in a friend's X to see if it'll power up with it or not.

OP
F

fomey

Reaction score
Is there another water damage sticker inside of the droid x (as in internally)? And would you happen to know what would happen once they found out it was water damaged upon taking it apart?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I don't think there's another sticker but they might still be able to tell. If they discover that its water damaged they may choose to send you a bill for the new phone they gave you, just not positive.

tappin and a talkin

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
in the Droid Forums we frown on talking about insurance fraud and defrauding Verizon. This thread is closed.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Once the phone is returned to the warehouse they look them over and take apart. If it is found to have water damage, not necessarily just the water indicator stickers, even though you feel you beat the system and got a replacement phone under warranty, you could receive a surprise bill for full price of the phone because you lied and committed fraud.

Now, the O.P. has edited the original post so I'm not sure exactly what was proposed before editing, but I suspect there was some question about committing insurance fraud. It's refreshing to see others blowing the whistle on this type of activity besides me.

Status
Not open for further replies.