DRM annoyance

piratenolan

Reaction score
Hey all, I recently purchased the Back to the Future trilogy on Blu Ray and decided to finally try out this fancy new technology of making digital copies of movies. Each movie came with a disc to facilitate this. But when you do it, it runs through iTunes which ensures Apple's DRM are littered through the .m4v file thusly ruining any chance of just dragging it over to my Moto Droid and playing the movie. Does anyone know of anything I can do? Is there any app I can get on my phone or a program that I can get on my computer that will convert the file or remove the DRM?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I use DVD Catalyst 4 and AnyDVD to rip movies for my X

OP
P

piratenolan

Reaction score
If it were just a matter of ripping the movies, I'd be fine. But these are the Blu Rays, and my computer only has a standard DVD-Rom drive. That's why I went with the digital copy discs that came with the movies.

D

dvdcatalyst

Hey all, I recently purchased the Back to the Future trilogy on Blu Ray and decided to finally try out this fancy new technology of making digital copies of movies. Each movie came with a disc to facilitate this. But when you do it, it runs through iTunes which ensures Apple's DRM are littered through the .m4v file thusly ruining any chance of just dragging it over to my Moto Droid and playing the movie. Does anyone know of anything I can do? Is there any app I can get on my phone or a program that I can get on my computer that will convert the file or remove the DRM?

This thread might help:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...uble-digital-movie-downloads.html#post1145787

Some people have gotten a few "Digital Copies" to work on the X

Watching Digital Copies on the X

On a PC (not a MAC) copy the file to your computer, then open it in Media Player to activate it with the code you find in the DVD/Bluray case.
Then use Windows Media Player's Sync functionality to transfer it to your X. WHile not mentioned in the linked thread, my guess is that the USB mode on the X needs to be set to Windows Media Sync in order for the license to transfer with it, but maybe it works in USB Mass Storage mode as well.

From the thread, it seems that its a hit or miss process in terms of how it works.

Because of the DRM of the Digital Copies, the files (if they actually play) will only play in video players that use the internal video playback portions of the X, such as Gallery. Multi-format players such as RockPlayer and vPlayer will not be able to deal with the license stuff of the Digital Copies.

Note that this likely doesnt work on the Droid 1 though. The X has support for some form of WIndows Media DRM.

In my opinion, "Digital Copies" are worthless, unless you have an iDevice or a Windows Mobile device.