videos won't play anymore

holdout

Reaction score
Posted this last week in the audio/video forum, but didn't get any solutions:

Ok i have had my droid since December. Have been converting dvds using handbrake on my Mac and have had good results. h264 format.

But as of last night when I select a movie to play via astro file mgr, I am getting this error message "file type m4v not found" on some of the movies that I have watched before.

I can watch some movies but most are showing this message. But even on the ones i can watch I have to "open as type".

This really weird b/c these are video files that played on my droid before. Plus it wont play the videos that i shoot with the droid.

I have done a battery pull.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Have you switched to a different ROM before this error starting popping up?

OP
holdout

holdout

Reaction score
No. Running completely stock, not rooted.

hacksaw

Reaction score
This happened to me once. Also had the issue with .mp3 files at the same time. It was like the droid lost all file type associations.

It was either a simple reboot or a battery pull that fixed it. Haven't had the problem since.

Harimwakairi

Reaction score
I have the Astro file manager app, and it's got a little thing that lets you change file type associations. I had to use it once myself when I screwed one of them up. As long as it's just the one file type that's hosed, it should be an easy fix.

Reaction score
i have 6 .avi files i have to open as > video in astro to get them to play...but i never knew avi could even be played on the droid til i added them, no problems with mp4 videos..havent tried anything else.

OP
holdout

holdout

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I think I need some type of reset or update or something.

It will play and then not play. Even the videos I have recorded with the phone are acting up. On some attempts the the audio will play, on other other attempts the vid will play a few seconds and then freeze up.

I have pulled the battery a number of times. Once after a battery pull some of the videos did play. But no consistent results.

Not rooted, btw.

Please help if you have any suggestions.

funken

Reaction score
This happened to me once. Also had the issue with .mp3 files at the same time. It was like the droid lost all file type associations.

It was either a simple reboot or a battery pull that fixed it. Haven't had the problem since.

I have the same problem sometimes with .mp3 files. I really hope 2.1 addresses some of these ridiculous issues. I get mine to work again by rebooting, but it is a PITA!

OP
holdout

holdout

Reaction score
Yeah its def something wrong with the software. I was on a website last night and tried to play a youtube video on the site and it would start just enough to hear the audio for a second, and then give me a "this video cannot be played" message.

I kept trying and it eventually played. ???

BTW when I check the details on the video files it shows a 0 for the file size. I guess that means that the file is not transferring correctly from the computer. but I kinda doubt that is the case, b/c teh files pay sometimes and not others.