Do We Really Need A Screen Protector?

pyro6128

Reaction score
What is the difference (aesthetically) between having a scratch-less screen with a cover that makes it look scratched or having a naked screen with a micro scratch? Plus, because the screen protectors scratch just looking at them, your device will always look scratched. Is there a point in spending 20min and $12 every month or two to have a false sense of security? I mean, just because you have a screen protector, are you gonna be less careful with it?

I think one of the big points missed is resale value. One of the main reasons I use a case and screen protector on my devices is because when I decide I want to upgrade, I can sell it at a much better price with it in pristine condition. Because of this, I'm able to upgrade to newer devices frequently for a very very small price. Plus, I don't think its a false sense of security. I've dropped my phone before and scratched the screen protector, then just swapped it out for one of the other protectors that came in the pack. Now my phone still works and still looks pristine. Its not like if I drop it and scratch the screen I can just swap it out for a brand new nexus screen.

2THEXTRM

Reaction score
I have always subscribed to your way of thinking Pyro, when I resell my phones they always look like new and I get top dollar!

Sent from my VTAB1008 using DroidForums

tek112

Reaction score
I can agree with that school of thought. My personal thing is that I keep my devices for the full boat because it isn't financially feasible since Verizon killed off their 1 year plans. After two years, my $550 Droid 1 was worth $6 more going from fair to excellent. Honestly, a year from now you won't get $50 for a galaxy nexus. Especially when amazon is selling them for under $200 with a new agreement.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Honestly, a year from now you won't get $50 for a galaxy nexus.
no you won't. You will get a lot more. Here is an example...

I bought new Droid x for 200 sold it for 241 when upgraded to thunderbolt. Bought new thunderbolt for 250 sold it for 200 when upgraded to nexus. Pretty sure I'll be able to get 150+ in a year for nexus.

nikecar

Reaction score
I posted this at XDA a while ago, but i will report it here:

Screen protectors don't hurt. I just don't think most people are educated. I will not judge someone either way, but I know many people don't fully understand why they have one except for the fact that many have them.

As for self-healing screen protectors, not so much. It just dulls away after constant use like buffing a scratch on a car. When the scratch dulls, so does the screen clarity. If you peel off the skin, the difference is night and day. [FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Besides, most people leave the scratched plastic protector on over their glass screen which reduces touch sensitivity, obscures view and honestly looks like crap. What is the difference (aesthetically) between having a scratch-less screen with a cover that makes it look scratched or having a naked screen with a micro scratch? Plus, because the screen protectors scratch just looking at them, your device will always look scratched. Is there a point in spending 20min and $12 every month or two to have a false sense of security? I mean, just because you have a screen protector, are you gonna be less careful with it? [/FONT]I do agree that it reduces glare, but that is because many are tinted, barely visible but are tinted none-the-less, otherwise there would be no glare protection. It is the same as a contact lens. So, if it reduces glare, it also reduces screen brightness and clarity. Also, it does impede touch sensitivity, while not very noticeable, it does. Think about it, you are impeding the electrical conductivity between your finger and the capacitive screen with a plastic barrier.

I will agree that they are great for reducing finger smudges. Once again, I don't want to tell people not to buy them or mock people who do. I just want to educate people so they can make a solid decision for themselves.

I wish to counter your claims. Not every protector scratches. My otterbox one has gone 7 months without a scratch. Is it caused by me babying the phone or the protector quality? Who knows and who cares. I have a scratchless phone.

Some folks can buy a car with an extended warranty and never need it, others are using it every month. As we see even here, some folks have issues with a phone, others don't.

What I like to post is this, air travel is supposed to be safer than travelling by car, yet all it takes is your plane to crash to blow that thinking away.

Sent from someplace, and with something that you need not worry about.

pyro6128

Reaction score
Yea you have to remember that off contract prices for these phones is high. Someone looking to upgrade their phone without a contract will absolutely want a galaxy nexus (or any good phone), and will pay a bit more to get it without the vz strings.

tek112

Reaction score
no you won't. You will get a lot more. Here is an example...

I bought new Droid x for 200 sold it for 241 when upgraded to thunderbolt. Bought new thunderbolt for 250 sold it for 200 when upgraded to nexus. Pretty sure I'll be able to get 150+ in a year for nexus.

Your example is for a like device in a relatively same time period. While the Thunderbolt had a better CPU, the Droid X has a better GPU. The SGX530 kills the Adreno 205. We have crossed a technology threshold. You sold a single core and bought another single core. You will now be selling a dual core a year from now for a quad core or higher with God knows what GPU. It is a much different time.

tek112

Reaction score
Yea you have to remember that off contract prices for these phones is high. Someone looking to upgrade their phone without a contract will absolutely want a galaxy nexus (or any good phone), and will pay a bit more to get it without the vz strings.

That is very true.

OP
cebosound

cebosound

Reaction score
Glad to see some good healthy input in regards to Screen Protectors.

I have always been on the fish with this issue. I am a HUGE fan of the touch and feel of the natural screen. But still really like the peace of mind the protectors give. I understand a protector won't stop major incidents , but still feel more comfortable.

Good point made about "Phone Resale". It is something that I belive in also. ... when it comes down to it, i want to get the full experience from my phone. and if that happens to be at the risk of scratching the screen, so be it. ......... I am super careful with my phone. I won't even put the phone in the same pocket with my keys. ..... I haven't pulled the trigger on a screen protector yet. But i do have a $50 gift card to best buy in my back pocket. ..... so we'll see.

Creating this thread came from my curiosity on what people truly felt about screen protectors. .... Part of me feels they aren't worth the price and what they take away from the overall expereince. but then again part of me feels like it would give me more peace of mind, and possibly stop that one scratch that would annoy the crap out of me (and mess with my resale value).

Thanks for the input guys. Let's keep it going. :)

Big Ry

Reaction score
I think I just had a brain aneurysm reading the responses about screen protectors providing shatter protection to the screen. Unless you are using a screen protector that's a couple millimeters thick, you won't be getting any appreciable amount of energy dissipation within the screen protector on impact. These things are maybe 100 micrometers at best in thickness. I don't care what it's made of, its not saving your screen.

pyro6128

Reaction score
I think piece of mind is also a big factor. with my new devices, I tend to really baby them at first. I feel it takes away from my enjoyment to an extent (not very much so). Once I get a case and screen protector though, I feel like I'm free to really use the device and not worry. I'm not worried about scratching or dropping, so the only thing I focus on is what I'm actually doing on the device, rather than what impact it may have on the device itself. If that makes sense

mdroid28

Reaction score
I think I just had a brain aneurysm reading the responses about screen protectors providing shatter protection to the screen. Unless you are using a screen protector that's a couple millimeters thick, you won't be getting any appreciable amount of energy dissipation within the screen protector on impact. These things are maybe 100 micrometers at best in thickness. I don't care what it's made of, its not saving your screen.

What if it was made of Unobtainium?

Crazycatlady

Reaction score
Careful apple might patent that. Lol

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

They probably already have...just waiting to sue someone for mentioning it!!!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Pink Tapatalk

2THEXTRM

Reaction score
I should have noted I do prefer the feel of screen without a protector but it's just not worth 2 years of stress worrying about even 1 scratch. The I have ocd when it comes to the things I worked hard for...thanks alot dad lol

Sent from my VTAB1008 using DroidForums