Do We Really Need A Screen Protector?

Big Ry

Reaction score
What if it was made of Unobtainium?

What was that show on for like 3 weeks? Lol after watching that crackhead build a bunch of crap with a bunch of crap, I know unobtainium wouldn't cut it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

manilaboy1vic

Reaction score
i dont use screen protectors.. i did get a scratch on my tbolt some how.. but ive had my GNEX since launch.. have a sit down job.. no scratches. i go to the beach alot too.. check phone after surfing or walking my dog at the beach.. make sure theres no sand on my hands.. still no scratches... :) for a while, id wait til i got home to wash my hands to make sure there was no sand, stopped doing that.. im scratch free. DancingNexus

kparks

Reaction score
i dont use screen protectors.. i did get a scratch on my tbolt some how.. but ive had my GNEX since launch.. have a sit down job.. no scratches. i go to the beach alot too.. check phone after surfing or walking my dog at the beach.. make sure theres no sand on my hands.. still no scratches... :) for a while, id wait til i got home to wash my hands to make sure there was no sand, stopped doing that.. im scratch free. DancingNexus

I always use screen protectors but after they get alot of scratches i take them off usually after a couple months then go naked after the brake in period is over and i dont care about it anymore lol..

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Your example is for a like device in a relatively same time period. While the Thunderbolt had a better CPU, the Droid X has a better GPU. The SGX530 kills the Adreno 205. We have crossed a technology threshold. You sold a single core and bought another single core. You will now be selling a dual core a year from now for a quad core or higher with God knows what GPU. It is a much different time.

Used pantech jest sells for $50. That's a dumb phone that's been out for two years. You have never sold phones have you? I've sold a good dozen or so used phones in my past so I know from experience how much they depreciate.

tek112

Reaction score
Used pantech jest sells for $50. That's a dumb phone that's been out for two years. You have never sold phones have you? I've sold a good dozen or so used phones in my past so I know from experience how much they depreciate.

Just because it sells for $50 doesn't mean someone is buying it.

We'll see in a year.

tek112

Reaction score
that made no sense what so ever.
just to prove my point since you don't seem to be getting it...
Pantech Jest TXT8040PP - Black (Verizon) Cellular Phone (044476814150) | eBay

What I am saying is that you are in a market where non-smart phones are still viable options. A year from now the technology swing will have changed enough that smart phones of today will be negligibly cheap. Showing me an ebay auction where 1 person is willing to pay $50 to buy that phone does not prove anything, especially a year from now. As I said before, we will see in a year.

Besides, this is getting way off-topic. If you want to continue this discussion PM me. This thread is about screen protectors. What do you have to say about them?

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Just didn't want you misleading people with false assumptions. $1 protectors do help people make a lot more money when you resell a phone in pristine condition.

nikecar

Reaction score
What I am saying is that you are in a market where non-smart phones are still viable options. A year from now the technology swing will have changed enough that smart phones of today will be negligibly cheap. Showing me an ebay auction where 1 person is willing to pay $50 to buy that phone does not prove anything, especially a year from now. As I said before, we will see in a year.

Besides, this is getting way off-topic. If you want to continue this discussion PM me. This thread is about screen protectors. What do you have to say about them?

Four bids so at least 2 people wanted it. There will always be people that will pay for something.

That said, if people want a protector, don't knock them for it. You cannot offer proof that a protector doesn't help.

Sent from someplace, and with something that you need not worry about.

tek112

Reaction score
Just didn't want you misleading people with false assumptions. $1 protectors do help people make a lot more money when you resell a phone in pristine condition.

It isn't a false assumption. Screen protection is only a minority part of selling a phone; the body has to be pristine as well. A screen can be repaired, the body cannot, only replaced.

Getting back on topic, there really are pros and cons to having a screen protector. Especially the $1 ones you just mentioned. They can help trap contaminants between the screen and the protector. More especially, silica, quartz, sand and other hard minerals that exist in almost everyone's pocket who goes outside regularly. The edges of almost all screen protectors start to curl over time or start to lift. This usually occurs when the screen protector is used without a body case. The friction from riding in the pocket loosens the edges. When this occurs it causes the minerals to stick to the screen protector instead of just sliding off the screen. Then it is just a matter of time before it scratches the screen from time and pressure.

Most people don't realize that scratches can be removed relatively easily. Here is one example:

Vibrant Gorilla Glass Scratch Repair - xda-developersust like de-hazing headlights in a car. There is a huge misconception about screens and just because it is scratched doesn't mean it has to stay that way.

tek112

Reaction score
Four bids so at least 2 people wanted it. There will always be people that will pay for something.

That said, if people want a protector, don't knock them for it. You cannot offer proof that a protector doesn't help.

Sent from someplace, and with something that you need not worry about.

Four bids, but only one willing to pay $50... however, I do agree that there is always someone willing to buy anything.

As I said in my first post, I don't judge those who do and i don't call them ineffective. I am just laying out facts. There really are pros and cons. It is up to the user to make the call for themselves. However, this thread is from a person with a legit question. My goal is not to change your mind or anyone elses. I just want people to see both sides.

OP
cebosound

cebosound

Reaction score
It isn't a false assumption. Screen protection is only a minority part of selling a phone; the body has to be pristine as well. A screen can be repaired, the body cannot, only replaced.

Getting back on topic, there really are pros and cons to having a screen protector. Especially the $1 ones you just mentioned. They can help trap contaminants between the screen and the protector. More especially, silica, quartz, sand and other hard minerals that exist in almost everyone's pocket who goes outside regularly. The edges of almost all screen protectors start to curl over time or start to lift. This usually occurs when the screen protector is used without a body case. The friction from riding in the pocket loosens the edges. When this occurs it causes the minerals to stick to the screen protector instead of just sliding off the screen. Then it is just a matter of time before it scratches the screen from time and pressure.

Most people don't realize that scratches can be removed relatively easily. Here is one example:

Vibrant Gorilla Glass Scratch Repair - xda-developersust like de-hazing headlights in a car. There is a huge misconception about screens and just because it is scratched doesn't mean it has to stay that way.
Interesting thread in the link.

nikecar

Reaction score
Four bids, but only one willing to pay $50... however, I do agree that there is always someone willing to buy anything.

As I said in my first post, I don't judge those who do and i don't call them ineffective. I am just laying out facts. There really are pros and cons. It is up to the user to make the call for themselves. However, this thread is from a person with a legit question. My goal is not to change your mind or anyone elses. I just want people to see both sides.

you contradicted yourself. First no one would buy it, then" they are willing to buy anything" once someone shows you someone would actually buy it. We can go to Ebay left and right and see phones that are 2 yrs old still pulling prices close to $100 or more. To think the NExus won't pull $50 in a yr is vastly underestimating the market. Heck even a 1 yr old Revolution recently went for $227 and has been pretty steady in the mid to upper $100's. Same with the Thunderbolt getting low to mid $100's with one selling for $339.99.

Again though, you cannot prove a protector doesn't work. With a good case and a quality protector, it can only aid in keeping the condition much better without. I do agree some protectors are junk and can cause more damage than not once any bit of dust gets underneath. Reminds me of the junky camera protectors I ahve. Don't go on well, bubbles up, looks horrible.

My otterbox protector looks flawless and as if I never even had one. Totally different look compared to the Zagg offerings. No orange peel look on mine.

As to another poster taking his to the beach, I got a piece of sand under my screen on a previous phone. Now I take my phones in a ziplock bag. I can still make a call, still check my screen etc.

tek112

Reaction score

you contradicted yourself. First no one would buy it, then" they are willing to buy anything" once someone shows you someone would actually buy it. We can go to Ebay left and right and see phones that are 2 yrs old still pulling prices close to $100 or more. To think the NExus won't pull $50 in a yr is vastly underestimating the market. Heck even a 1 yr old Revolution recently went for $227 and has been pretty steady in the mid to upper $100's. Same with the Thunderbolt getting low to mid $100's with one selling for $339.99.

Again though, you cannot prove a protector doesn't work. With a good case and a quality protector, it can only aid in keeping the condition much better without. I do agree some protectors are junk and can cause more damage than not once any bit of dust gets underneath. Reminds me of the junky camera protectors I ahve. Don't go on well, bubbles up, looks horrible.

My otterbox protector looks flawless and as if I never even had one. Totally different look compared to the Zagg offerings. No orange peel look on mine.

As to another poster taking his to the beach, I got a piece of sand under my screen on a previous phone. Now I take my phones in a ziplock bag. I can still make a call, still check my screen etc.

I was making a generalized statement. You will always find those select few willing to pay above market. I was agreeing with that statement. However, just because something is priced above market doesn't mean everyone can expect to sell it for that much. Is that wording better? If you want to be that literal, I was responding to a two year old Pantech. The Jest was released 6/2010.

I never said protectors didn't work. Not sure where you saw me write that. My point is that they can fail. It is a truth and another thing for any educated consumer to think about.

As I mentioned before my remark is directed at the Galaxy Nexus a year from now. You say $50 is low and I think it is around what it would be selling at on the open market for a used device. Technology is changing in a huge way. In a month quad core phones will be available. Corningware is going to be releasing Gorilla Glass II very soon and VoLTE will be a common standard. We are going to see big changes in the next year which we have not seen since the Android revolution knocked the iDevices off their pedestal.

Again, just for the record, I never said that screen protectors are ineffective. I am offering another side to a very common misconception about them. They are not flawless devices that will definitely protect your phone.

Last edited: