Do I need to backup my nand if I only root it?

Discussion in 'Droid X Hacks' started by Backslash, Dec 25, 2010.

1. Backslash

Backslash New Member

I want to root my Droid x, and that is all I'm doing. I won't need to backup my nand for that will I?

I won't be doing anything else with it.

Thanks.
  2. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Just to root, no I wouldn't worry about it. If you later decide to install a custom rom then do a back up.
  3. Backslash

Backslash New Member

Ok. Cause I rooted mine a while ago, but I just rooted my uncle's and I was worried that I should have backed it up so if something happens he won't have to worry about it.

But I figured I wouldn't need a backup.
  4. maderschramm

maderschramm New Member

I would not recommend what hookbill said. ALWAYS backup your phone post-root. Every time. That way if you do mod it, something goes wrong, even if you want to go back to a different way your home screen is set up, a backup is of vital importance.
  5. jsw6380a

jsw6380a New Member

I would always advise to backup your phone when rooting. If you use z4 you should be safe but I like having a comfortable backup in place.
  6. chkmate

chkmate New Member

Why root then? Just seems pointless to root just to say your phone is rooted.

And I recommend always doing a backup, modifying phone or not. Most likely you will start doing

small things just cause you can now, so it's best to be safe. But I still don't understand why you rooted.
  7. dfuser312553

dfuser312553 New Member

Did you mean why just root? I ran stock but rooted for a couple of months & there are big performance gains to be had just from getting SU.

OP, backup every time you make a significant change. I can't recall how many times I thought I could get away with a simple metamorph change only to be greeted by a bootloop with no current backup.
  8. cereal killer

cereal killer DF Administrator Staff Member

By having simple root access one will not experience a performance gain. Performance is gained by modifying Android. Root access does absolutely nothing.

As far as backups go. Its not necessary but certainly can't hurt. Once you start modifying your handset (flashing roms, themes etc) it is vital to backup as everyone has already pointed out.

Sent from my Droid
  9. dfuser312553

dfuser312553 New Member

I experienced a big performance gain on my set when I rooted. You could see it with the launcher smoothness instantly. Also my quadrant (I know quadrant sucks) scores went up by 200 or 300 without setcpu or a kernel change. It was not a placebo.
  10. Backslash

Backslash New Member

My uncle only wanted Wifi Tether..... That's why....
  11. chkmate

chkmate New Member

No, I meant why root...?

He states above he rooted for wifi tethering, now I know and it makes sense.

You on the other hand, do not make sense:) And I don't mean to be rude, really.

But you will not get better performance on a device by JUST rooting. This isn't something that

varies from device to device like battery performance. It does NOT give you better performance from you

having root access to system files. Some kind of tweeking needs to take place for improvement to phone.

ROM's, Overclocking and getting rid of bloatware to name a few.
  12. dfuser312553

dfuser312553 New Member

Be rude I don't care but I'm not retarded. I didn't imagine the stock launcher swiping between screens without stutter or that quadrant number being 2x the unrooted total.
  13. maderschramm

maderschramm New Member

why are all these mods stating that backup isn't essential or necessary? it would make our life so much easier if it was just generally stated they are...I don't get it
  14. wildride89

wildride89 New Member

I followed everyone's advice and backed up the info I've.screwed up a time or two
  15. arabstar1982

arabstar1982 New Member

What is the best backup app to run in order to back up your phone after root? or is there a better way to back up the phone after root rather than using an app?
  16. RKramden

RKramden New Member

IMO DroidXBootstrapper is the best way to back up your X. Just install, then choose bootstrap recovery...click OK, then reboot recovery. The phone will restart and give you a green menu list. use the volume up/down keys to choose backup/restore then choose backup. You select the menu items using the camera button (full press).

It will backup your entire phone which then gives you the safety of being able to play with roms, knowing you have a way to get the phone back to an operating state if something goes wrong.

My advice is, when you create backups, rename the file to something that will remind you of what that backup is. *remember there can be NO spaces in names...you'll get an MD5 checksum error if there is spaces*
  17. SmaugDragon

SmaugDragon New Member

I for one just want to root so I can us Orbot and to remove some bloatware

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
  18. RKramden

RKramden New Member

I'd still make a back-up just in case...and when you remove bloatware, don't actually remove it, just re-name it...this way, when you need to do an OTA update (over the air), you can just rename the bloatware back to the original and then the update will work correctly. A more easy solution is the get Titanium Backup Pro and FREEZE the bloatware. Then you can unfreeze it for updates.
  19. pyro6128

pyro6128 New Member

Quadrant isnt accurate and often fluctuates tons on the same phone with the same exact settings. Getting root doesn't actually do anything to alter the way your phone runs, it just gives you more access to things. Sometimes my phone runs super fast, other times it lags a bit. Any sort of performance increase you saw by just rooting and doing nothing else were not caused by the rooting. Thats just fact, but I don't think anyone was rude here
  20. arabstar1982

arabstar1982 New Member

Thanks a lot, your post was very helpful!!!!
Search tags for this page

backup nand with nand-x

nand backup no root