Nandroid Questions

Es0ter1c

Reaction score
Okay, so I have a nandroid backup of my stock settings on my DX.

Unlike the ROMS and flashing them with bootstrapper, which is remarkably easy now that I have done it a couple of times, the nandroid backup that clockwork created is in a directory and is not zipped/compressed like the ROMs are.

Is there a version of Nandroid available that is compatible with the DX? The only version I find online so far is from the xda site at this link.
Nandroid v2.0 - Full NAND backup and restore tool (tried and tested!) - xda-developers

I downloaded it, but the readme implies that the program is only for G1 phones. So I guess my noob question of the day is this:

What program(s) are available/recommended for the purposes of restoring my original nandroid backup, and is there anything special I need to know before attempting the restore?

Thanks!

Es0:greendroid::reddroid::greendroid::reddroid:

edit: Well it appears that RM doesn't make 'nandroid' backups, but regardless, for some reason it fails whenever I try to restore the backup using RM... starts unpacking then quits and reboots phone.

Last edited:
OP
E

Es0ter1c

Reaction score
Lol. As luck would have it, that's what I eventually figured out this morning. Got the 'stock rom' back up and running. The OTA came in almost without a hitch, I chose to reset to factory before the OTA, but I had to clear the cache again after it installed to get past the 'M'.

It also appears that the USB drivers prefer the stock setup, as they detected, repaired themselves and are fully functional again. I just wish there were a way I could find a blurless ROM that has better USB functionality than the rubiX did.

Another handful of noobish questions. Do I need a different version of the rubiX 1.9 installer now that I am on the 'official' 2.3.340.MB810 or will my existing one still work? Is there a different ROM that I should try out, such as apex or another? My primary foci are speed, responsiveness, streamlined performance, music playback, battery longevity, and an easy to understand interface that makes apps with duplicate functions easy to identify and freeze away. I could live with motoblur but after playing in rubiX for a week I already see and feel tangible advantages to ROMs.

Strikeir13

Reaction score
Lol. As luck would have it, that's what I eventually figured out this morning. Got the 'stock rom' back up and running. The OTA came in almost without a hitch, I chose to reset to factory before the OTA, but I had to clear the cache again after it installed to get past the 'M'.

It also appears that the USB drivers prefer the stock setup, as they detected, repaired themselves and are fully functional again. I just wish there were a way I could find a blurless ROM that has better USB functionality than the rubiX did.

Another handful of noobish questions. Do I need a different version of the rubiX 1.9 installer now that I am on the 'official' 2.3.340.MB810 or will my existing one still work? Is there a different ROM that I should try out, such as apex or another? My primary foci are speed, responsiveness, streamlined performance, music playback, battery longevity, and an easy to understand interface that makes apps with duplicate functions easy to identify and freeze away. I could live with motoblur but after playing in rubiX for a week I already see and feel tangible advantages to ROMs.

It seems you're discovering that the best way to learn about Android and the DX is to do it yourself. Which is good!

For rubiX 1.9.0, make sure you're on the "leak" version as that is compatible with your official 2.3.340.

You could check out GummyJAR over at XDA, it's supposed to be pretty fast.

For music playback, check out Eliot Stocker's music mod: Music Mod (Froyo Only) - Android app on AppBrain It's a heavily modified stock music player but lots of people like it.

For battery life, try undervolting with JRummy16's Droid Overclock app. Yes, it says "overclock" but the same process can be used to undervolt, greatly increasing your battery life. You can try his preset voltages, but for best results, I'd recommend playing with the custom values (once you're comfortable with it, of course) because the chips in our phones are very variable from phone to phone. What works on yours may not work on someone else's, and vice versa.

Also, just google how to increase battery life on your phone. There are many, many tips and tricks out there. You'll have to come to a good middle ground between maximum performance (which usually means lots of features like widgets, etc.) and maximum battery life (which usually means a very stripped down phone). How often do you need to go more than 24 or even 12-14 hours without a charge?

For identifying duplicate apps or app functions, that may be a little more involved in that you'll just have to learn the apps' functions themselves and decide if you have any unnecessarily duplicative apps. I'd use Titanium Backup to freeze them, and it's a great utility for restoring apps after a data wipe (like for flashing a new ROM...). Use TB with care, however, as reckless ROM flashing and app restoring can result in issues. I just use it for restoring apps and their data, NOT system data.

Good luck!

Edit: Also, in case it's not readily apparent, you can't restore a nandroid of a previous system version, i.e. now that you're on .340 you should only restore backups up to the point immediately after .340 was installed ("stock" .340).

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Focused 1.9 is compatible with USB connectivity if you have the latest drivers installer. And yes you need the leak and patch for 2.2.1 and you can install them both in the same boot.