Differences between 0.6.2 and BB or Cyanogen?

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
Also important to note that any sense of UNfriendly competition usually comes from the users and not the devs themselves.

Back on the topic, though: does anyone know how the latest releases all differ? I haven't use any from source Froyo since the first release of Sapphire 0.6.0 ran so smoothly on my phone. :shrug:

Check the changelog on sapphire wiki

CLShade

Reaction score
Ah. Sorry- I meant how the various Froyo source builds by all the devs differ. I don't think anyone has yet done a comparison of them, yet. And I'm just being lazy- I can go look at the feature lists. Which I think I'll go do...

I did see that they all have their variety of complaints same as Sapphire - installation issues, market issues, etc. Having done a fair share of game modding I've often enough answered a "Why doesn't his work?!" with "Uh, it works for me." Its bizarre (and probably an extremely unscientific observation) how some phones only run well with certain ROMs.

Bear in NM

Reaction score
I was going to post this earlier in rreply to MRDBJ, but I saw that his query was mostly answered. But, it seems that my thoughts might add to the continuation of this thread.

Let me start out with the fact that I have been around for quite a while, and seen almost all of the changes and developments since the phone first came out. When I read the initial post here on the CVPCS forum, and read the wiki, I too started out thinking that we were gonna have a "bash the other dev's" scenario. But if you take the time to read the wiki and try to digest it, it becomes apparent that, as has been posted, the emphasis is indeed on creating a new source for dev's, not just a bash. But as was also pointed out in an earlier post, "fanboys" can create a big mess.

Back to my thoughts about the OP, none of the dev's, no matter how well intended, start out with a perfect rom. Each has tried to find some little twist or niche that sets them apart. Each seems to have learned that some things work, and some go over like the proverbial lead ballon. System apps in data, removing apps that many folks don't use (email/corp cal.), lots of attempts at setting their roms apart. Where we seem to be at now is that the dev's seem to have evolved to the point that it is best to produce a solid base rom with all of the stock/native apps, perhaps provide an easy way for the individual user to customize (remove scripts), but overall provide a rom that is fully functional that at its base is at least what the phone has unrooted. So to the op, yes, if you try out a rom from cvpcs or one of the other matured developers, your phone should run properly, with full native functionality, at least.

While I would be the first to admit that I know diddly squat about source or code, I would suggest that at the very least the cvpcs group is at least adding to the betterment of our user experience. But, I would not suggest getting wrapped around the axle about built from source, kageraded or whatever the concept is that some folks like to get bent over. The Open Source concept seems to be pretty muddy at best. Use other's work, but give credit where credit is due. I think this is the underlying concept, but anyone who has been around very long will know that in practice this concept seems to be difficult when put into reality. We have fanboys, egos and money involved, and the one thing that I can promise you is that if you are not a developer but a user like myself, your best bet is to stay flexible, try to get your head around what you are doing to your phone, and read a lot.

Perhaps some of the other roms are nothing more than jazzed up nandroids. But, they have provided me and countless others with a fun phone experience. I look forward to trying out the new rom here, once some of the bugs are ironed out. But, I do not hold these issues against the cvpcs folks. Just normal growing pains. I also do hope that providing another source for new dev's will play out well. My hat is off to them for even making the effort that they have to this point, as most of us understand the life cycle of these phones and software. If you get too hung up on the end game, or perhaps the minutia of open source, credit, etc., you are missing the whole point of rooting. It's a journey, with lots of forks in the road. Sometimes you will take the wrong fork, and sometimes the fork will be a dead end. If you are flexible, back up and try a new road. That is the end game, imho, more roads to enhance our journey along the road which will most certainly end with a new device.

Craig

DroidHoff

Reaction score
So if I were to try this ROM what would I notice different from a BB rom or the Cyanogen mod roms?

I just want to know if this is safe to try as a daily use rom.

What, if anything, is this rom missing.

Sapphire ROM is a built from source code very much like Cyanogen. Pete (BB) roms include many add ons for customization and generally are themed but I believe his 2.2 roms up to .2 at least were leaked roms that were built on top of like most other roms. Built from source generally will be less buggy and more stable. I have used mainly Cyan source roms for a while now but have been giving this one a try and it is actually a very well built rom definetly on par with Cyan imho.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

captdroid

Reaction score
So many ROMS so little time :)

Being a new droid owner I am keeping an eye on Sapphire and ChevyNo1 SS for my switch to Froyo (interested in other ROMS as well but these two in particular Sapphire are most interesting to me at the moment). Running ChevyNo1 5 slot LV kernel on rooted 2.1 right now.

Hats off to all the Devs! Clearly allot of hard work goes into these development projects.

Reaction score
Just when you think you have the right rom and the perfect theme.....it all changes .......................I love it. The themes never get old and there is always stuff to fix up.
dancedroid

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just when you think you have the right rom and the perfect theme.....it all changes .......................I love it. The themes never get old and there is always stuff to fix up.
dancedroid

That is the beauty of android. Once an android phone obtains root, anything is possible. :D

cvpcs

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I wanted to post a response to the competition comments as well as the op. Firstly, I want to say that sapphire in no way is trying to bash cyanogen or other devs, as each works hard making their rom. I can personally say that some features in sapphire are borrowed from cyanogen, and vice versa. I talk with koush regularly and we work together on problems and ideas. I have nothing but respect for the great work they do.

I don't agree, however, that there is no value in having separate vendor setups and source repositories, any more than I think that all linux distros besides ubuntu should be scrapped, or that there should be one selection of soda to drink. Choice is important. Admittedly sapphire will probably slowly grow and become more as cyanogen is now, but is that a bad thing? Cyanogen does great work, but why do people need to be locked into his ROM if they want that type of experience.

I also must agree that although I don't agree with the practices of some devs, ultimately this is about people enjoying using their phone. Its about having fun. I dev because I love it.

Also, I disagree about the notion that open source is not an important idea to keep in mind, as without it nobody would have the android code to begin with. I understand that it tends to lead to arguments and whatever, but I feel that is simply because people don't fully understand what it means to be open source before they do it.

As for the diff between CM and BB and Sapphire, it is honestly too hard to compare because they are so completely different (with the exception of core funtionality, of course). I know that's not much help but I would suggest flashing each and playing around to make the decision yourself :)

Well, I guess that's my wall-o-text for the evening, haha. I've rambled on long enough ><

LrdElderon

Reaction score
Not that competition is bad or that more options are not a good thing....
Not that anything you are doing is bad

Well then what's the point of complaining? What other "mainstream" devs have put out complete-from-scratch AOSP builds, particularly Froyo? No offense, but I enjoy getting to run a Froyo source ROM and conversing with the friendly folks here vs. begging for a build on IRC.

I just finally poked my head in the thread, and some of you folks are taking me out of context at least in as far as what I meant my post to mean.

I wasn't bashing anyone. I pointed out the rom to be good and that competition is a good thing. I was merely stating that "we're not cm" is not really a good reason to list for being different. at least IMO. otherwise why use it over cm? if that makes sense?

I do not care about who is first...etc and yes I do think more devs doing things and sharing is a good thing. I can't keep peoples nicks straight now a days. Are you p3droid? if you are I'm a bit ashamed by that comment. You could get a test build anytime you wanted or compile one yourself. I don't see how we are any unfriendlier in irc then here. I seem to get more hostile feedback here than I do in chat.

anyways, perhaps my original post did not convey what I meant as well as it should. If you put your "money where your mouth is" so to speak and keep up on what many are saying is a great rom, I will look forward with great interest on how things move forward and if how or if collaboration between groups goes on.

cvpcs

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I wasn't bashing anyone. I pointed out the rom to be good and that competition is a good thing. I was merely stating that "we're not cm" is not really a good reason to list for being different. at least IMO. otherwise why use it over cm? if that makes sense?

Just to clarify, I only state that we are not cm because all of the "source based roms" out there before us were basically pulling from cyanogen to begin with. Not doing that IS a big thing and I have the month of rework to prove it.

I think cyanogen does great work and would love to collaborate in the future. Sapphire is not intended to be a bash, and I hope that is conveyed. I am simply attempting to provide another rom for people to use, that is done as much from scratch as I can. Why its important to say its not cyanogen is because, if it WAS just cyanogen with a few extras, then I would feel people should just use cyanogenmod. The difference is what makes it valuable. I hope that helps express why that part is important.

LrdElderon

Reaction score

Just to clarify, I only state that we are not cm because all of the "source based roms" out there before us were basically pulling from cyanogen to begin with. Not doing that IS a big thing and I have the month of rework to prove it.

I think cyanogen does great work and would love to collaborate in the future. Sapphire is not intended to be a bash, and I hope that is conveyed. I am simply attempting to provide another rom for people to use, that is done as much from scratch as I can. Why its important to say its not cyanogen is because, if it WAS just cyanogen with a few extras, then I would feel people should just use cyanogenmod. The difference is what makes it valuable. I hope that helps express why that part is important.

shame you didn't post that first. that was a good response. and you get to go on my list of must try out roms. I tried an early version earlier, but was busy testing something i was making.

kevdog

Reaction score
Can someone explain to me what the vendor setup is and what it does and what actual file is modified in the source AOSP to make the changes!!! Thanks.

sniffle

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.ccroms.net

kevdog

Reaction score
Ummm

Thanks I guess -- I actually took a look for about 20 minutes between the various links and nothing mentioned about vendor setup. How about just a quick summary what it does.:icon_ banana:dancedroid