Differences between 0.6.2 and BB or Cyanogen?

LrdElderon

Reaction score
it's very safe to use as a daily driver... most people have never had a FC or hard reboot...

So is CM rom when it's done. Note that no froyo cm rom has been officially released. The only thing that snuck out was a quicky alpha test build.

just a quick off topic for a sec. I read the saphire site and i dunno this part struck me a bit off.

What makes Sapphire Different?

There are many things that set Sapphire aside from the other ROMs that are currently out there.

Completely Built from Source

While most ROMs are not technically development releases but rather hacks and tweaks based on an official (or leaked) update.zip, Sapphire is completely built from AOSP source, with minor additions. What does this mean? This means that Sapphire can support features that require a much lower level of modifications, such as additions to android framework classes and alteration of basic android features.

Does Not Rely on Cyanogen or Koush's Build/Vendor/Device Setup

At the time of Sapphire's conception, every Motorola DROID ROM that was being built from source was based on Cyanogen's Build Setup. The goal of Sapphire-0.1.0 was to create a new build setup, built from the ground up on top of AOSP, which did not rely on any of Cyanogen or Koush's vendor or device setups. This was a fantastic success, and now Sapphire is free to build and grow without the constraints of using another's build, vendor, or device setup.

I want to express that while there is nothing wrong with Cyanogen or Koush's vendor or device setups (and they are actually quite good), using them constitutes simply modifying their ROMs, and not actually building a new one. Sapphire was an attempt to add a third, common vendor setup to the mix, that was original and not wholly based on the other two.

that's pretty much crap. what you are doing is exactly what they are doing just now you have your vendor setup instead of theirs. Not that competition is bad or that more options are not a good thing. And the reason most used their source to build from is because it's good, extremely good. There is probably not a better source base to build a rom and theme then CM. It has many improvements over stock aosp.

Not that anything you are doing is bad, I hear some people like your rom and I tried it for a day had no issues. Just the site seems to try to make you out as unique and really if anything you are just becoming another CM rom group. why should people rely on your vendor and source? ..... etc etc.

anyways no offense meant, just thoughts i had at the time I read to see what the rom was about.

ok sorry back to topic didn't mean to hijack lol.

sniffle

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.ccroms.net
that's just it... we're doing every damn thing we can to not copy CM, and when we do we do our damndest to improve upon that code. reason being, we want CM, and the entire open-source community to improve, become better... and in the open-source world competition breeds evolution...

so yes we have our own vendor setup... as a matter of fact we finished ours before koush and he ended up using parts of it in his own...
we also have our own source some pieces we use from cyanogenmod, others like the reboot option we did it our own way...

in a sense we are like CM... but we are also totaly different...

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not that competition is bad or that more options are not a good thing....
Not that anything you are doing is bad

Well then what's the point of complaining? What other "mainstream" devs have put out complete-from-scratch AOSP builds, particularly Froyo? No offense, but I enjoy getting to run a Froyo source ROM and conversing with the friendly folks here vs. begging for a build on IRC.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not that competition is bad or that more options are not a good thing....
Not that anything you are doing is bad

Well then what's the point of complaining? What other "mainstream" devs have put out complete-from-scratch AOSP builds, particularly Froyo? No offense, but I enjoy getting to run a Froyo source ROM and conversing with the friendly folks here vs. begging for a build on IRC.

Just the fact that they were able to get a stable 2.2 ROM out that fast alone shows what they are doing. And, I'll say it was pretty stable too. Now they've even updated it, and it is better than ever.

CLShade

Reaction score
that's pretty much crap. what you are doing is exactly what they are doing just now you have your vendor setup instead of theirs.

Really? I thought the sapphire wiki was pretty clear that they aren't claiming to be BETTER than CM and Koush's setups - just a third option. The whole point was to be a new vendor setup that modifies Android source as little as possible.

Unless I'm reading you wrong, you seem to be saying that they are... doing exactly what they say they are doing.

edit- I should add that there IS a sense of competition, but its friendly competition. The kind where we all win in the end.

Last edited:

supahrob

Reaction score
Bah, there's always gotta be someone to come along and pee on the cornflakes... some even follow it up with some sort of "no offense" comment - which is exactly what happened here.

These superhero's of sadness, these masters of melancholy, these advocates of agony, these protectors of pessimism are always there - keeping a watchful eye out for anywhere happiness and contentment dares to sneak into peoples lives. These deans of dissent will be there crush it, and remind us that "All is vanity."

Pass the cyanide.

Take care,
Rob

CLShade

Reaction score
Yeah, but Rob's post is still going to make me chuckle all day.

That was hilarious.

CLShade

Reaction score
Also important to note that any sense of UNfriendly competition usually comes from the users and not the devs themselves.

Back on the topic, though: does anyone know how the latest releases all differ? I haven't use any from source Froyo since the first release of Sapphire 0.6.0 ran so smoothly on my phone. :shrug: