Deep thoughts with Pc747: My early thoughts on the nexus 5

trestevenson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Something tells me that with the Nexus 5 being so close to the G2 that we may start to see more active development for the G2. And with the TV advertising and kudos from CR it is gonna gain popularity. This could be one that gives the S4 a run for its money. Can't wait to see what they do to follow it up.

I hear ya! I'm definitely going to be keeping my eye on things in the run up to the holiday season!

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
And with the TV advertising and kudos from CR it is gonna gain popularity.

Moto X is a sweet phone. I just really wish it had a bigger screen. It is essentially a 4.3" when you subtract the area occupied by the onscreen buttons.

+1 to the G2 marketing and advertising. It's all over the place. I do however disagree with the idea that the Moto X's screen is essentially a 4.3" screen though. While it may seem that way because of the non-existent bezel, I find watching videos (youtube, etc.) to be the biggest benefit to larger screens (I don't play games). And in this case, the software nav buttons disappear, leaving you with the full 4.7-inch screen to view. I guess web browsing may be slightly better with a bigger screen, but the Moto X just feels so perfect in hand that it's design shined through more than that in my opinion.

How awesome is it now though that we have so many great different options for Android users (especially on VZW)? This is the first time in my 4 years using Android and being part of this forum that I have felt that there are truly several options in which one can't go wrong with their smartphone choice. I remember a couple years ago with the RAZR Maxx/Galaxy Nexus (VZW) release that it seemed as if this entire forum had turned into a huge forum for bickering and arguing over whose phone was "better". It honestly turned me off a little to DF at the time. I never bothered spending much time on forums since, but have certainly enjoyed coming back after purchasing my Moto X. It is so relieving that the bickering and childishness has all stopped and everyone can have civil, adult conversation regarding the pros and cons of various devices people are considering.

Last edited:

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
+1 to the G2 marketing and advertising. It's all over the place. I do however disagree with the idea that the Moto X's screen is essentially a 4.3" screen though. While it may seem that way because of the non-existent bezel, I find watching videos (youtube, etc.) to be the biggest benefit to larger screens (I don't play games). And in this case, the software nav buttons disappear, leaving you with the full 4.7-inch screen to view. I guess web browsing may be slightly better with a bigger screen, but the Moto X just feels so perfect in hand that it's design shined through more than that in my opinion.

How awesome is it now though that we have so many great different options for Android users (especially on VZW)? This is the first time in my 4 years using Android and being part of this forum that I have felt that there are truly several options in which one can't go wrong with their smartphone choice. I remember a couple years ago with the RAZR Maxx/Galaxy Nexus (VZW) release that it seemed as if this entire forum had turned into a huge forum for bickering and arguing over whose phone was "better". It honestly turned me off a little to DF at the time. I never bothered spending much time on forums since, but have certainly enjoyed coming back after purchasing my Moto X. It is so relieving that the bickering and childishness has all stopped and everyone can have civil, adult conversation regarding the pros and cons of various devices people are considering.

I guess if you watch videos it is slightly beneficial. But when doing anything that keeps the nav buttons on the screen hold it up to a Razr, Bionic, or Droid X. Pretty much the same size screen. I was just saying if I am paying full price I want a substantially larger screen. Preferably with an extremely high dpi and resolution. Just like the G2 has.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
I guess if you watch videos it is slightly beneficial. But when doing anything that keeps the nav buttons on the screen hold it up to a Razr, Bionic, or Droid X. Pretty much the same size screen. I was just saying if I am paying full price I want a substantially larger screen. Preferably with an extremely high dpi and resolution. Just like the G2 has.

I would certainly say a jump from 4.3" (if that is even an accurate estimate of screen size with on screen buttons visible on the Moto X) to 4.7" is more than "slightly beneficial". Especially when you consider that the G2 has a 5.2" screen (also with software nav buttons). It sort of contradicts your point because with that logic, a jump from 4.7" (on the Moto X) to 5.2" (on the LG G2) would also still only be "slightly beneficial". Seems like you're saying .4-inches more is only "slightly beneficial" when .5-inches more is "substantial".

Last edited:

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
I would certainly say a jump from 4.3" (if that is even an accurate estimate of screen size with on screen buttons visible on the Moto X) to 4.7" is more than "slightly beneficial". Especially when you consider that the G2 has a 5.2" screen (also with software nav buttons). It sort of contradicts your point because with that logic, a jump from 4.7" (on the Moto X) to 5.2" (on the LG G2) would also still only be "slightly beneficial". Seems like you're saying .4-inches more is only "slightly beneficial" when .5-inches more is "substantial".

I put the Moto X side by side with my Razr Maxx. Top of the screen lined up. The bottom edge of the Maxx came to the same point that the nav buttons started on the X. So essentially the same usable real estate. I did the same thing with my G2 and Droid Maxx. Same results. Same usable space. Again this does not take watching videos into consideration because I do not. But web browsing and everything outside of videos it makes a difference. One other big difference with the G2 is the screen is wider that the Droid Maxx and Moto X. Which makes more width for easier typing.