Deep thoughts with Pc747: My early thoughts on the nexus 5

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
nexus-5-crop.jpg

The nexus 5 is out, people are excited and I want to talk about it deeply. So let's dig in.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

I have been following the nexus 5 and 4.4 kit kat since the device was rumored and though there are a lot of things I love about the device there are a few things that keep me from buying. I love the google nexus clean look and feel along with getting updates straight from google (unless you have the Verizon Galaxy Nexus but let's try and forget that ok). I do have a few concerns though:

1) When the Nexus One was released it was forward thinking with a new os and a 1 gig processor, the idea was to show what manufacturers can do. Personally I love the look of the Nexus 5 and with its beautiful display, better camera (compared to nexus 4), and larger screen it is amazing. With that said it is not what I would consider forward thinking. Last year Samsung released the Note 2 with a quad core processor and 2 gigs of ram (first of its kind) and yet specs wise the note 2 is still competitive today. I feel like Samsung continues to push the envelope with specs and ideas. Now I do like that Google is doing a better job with their software to make it more efficient so it uses less memory. But to my point what in the Nexus 5 is forward looking compared to the devices out now (It was 3 months ago I ragged on Motorola for this with the Motorola X but at least they came out with moto maker)?

2) Looking at the google edition devices vs nexus devices: I actually like the google edition devices more than the nexus and this is why. With the google edition device you are getting the manufacturers best device (at the time they made it) with stock google software so the Galaxy S4 and HTC One were basically the manufacturers putting their best foot forward giving us flagship devices that they felt would give them a leg up in the market. The Nexus device manufacturers build the devices to google's specs so google can sell cheaper. No one is in the business of losing money so they have to cut somewhere. Still nexus devices are a viable option for those looking to buy a device off contract at a cheaper price than what the manufacturers put out. So do you still see the Google nexus as a forward thinking device or a device that is a bargain for the buck?

3) Google Play: What Google has done with their app market is smart they literally turned it into a market place selling everything from apps, books, music, movies, and devices. I love renting movies and watching them via chromecast and would definitely recommend it to any one. But with a 15 day return policy can you truly see spending 300+ to buy a device? I personally did order a nexus 5 but canceled as that was one of the things that worried me. I have bought a few nexus devices in the past and must admit though they have been awesome I did notice some issues wether it be from a bad batch or quality control. Thankfully I bought it from a store where i could just exchange it. The pricing for the nexus 5 32gb model came to 447.16 (the cost taken from my debit card) and a thought went through my head "$500 is a lot of money" (add 200 bucks and I can get a note 3). Point being is for that type of money I do not want to hear or deal with any quality issues but from experience I know that is a possibility. So after seeing an article that best buy would sell it I feel more comfortable buying it from a retailer like best buy and adding some protection to it. Does the 15 day return policy bother you knowing that after 15 days you are going to have to deal with the manufacturer?

4) I hate non removable batteries and non expandable memory <----nuff said.

Like to hear your thoughts.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
+1 on battery and storage for sure!

They claim SD cards were too confusing for users, but I don't buy it. I want to store as much junk in my pocket as I can. If anyone, I feel they should at least offer the ability to get one with SD slot.

Sent from my GS4

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I'm sure it's going to be a solid device ..price range is attractive.
15 days I believe is more than enough time ...you will know in a week about a phone ...SD card is a must for me ..I don't want to hear about cloud storage or all the regular work arounds ..and I surely want to swap a battery ...if I forget to charge ..pop another in and go ...easy
As all us Verizon peeps know I won't need to worry about getting one ...I will be surprised for that day again despite some 2014 rumors..

N3 tapa

jspradling7

Reaction score
After having a Galaxy Nexus for two years, a Nexus 10 since release, and running AOSP roms on all kinds of phones along the way... I've kind of lost interest. I'm enjoying customized stock UI's now. S3, S4, G2, and my wife's Note 2, are fine with just some tweaks. I'll be getting an S5 next and a Note 3 for my wife. I don't feel any desire for a Nexus anymore. Maybe I'll get back in the mood for it next year.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I kinda miss parts of stock, like the camera. I don't need the fancy stuff & I miss the speed with which the gNex took pictures, but I'm still living the s4 for now since cost keeps me from shopping. Haha

Sent from my GS4

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
No arguments here pc747.My Note 3 is always happy when the competition gets shut down.

Sent from my Note 3 rockin Jelly Bean 4.3

Caesars

Reaction score
No arguments here pc747.My Note 3 is always happy when the competition gets shut down.

2 be fair, not much Competition compared to the note 3!

Note 3 <Caesars>

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
1. I have to agree that hardware and spec-wise the Nexus line isn't what it used to be. I really do think Google has made more of an effort in concentrating on the user experience. One key element of that is the backing on the Nexus 5, that somewhat grippy plastic, but not cheap feeling either (I'm basing that off the 2013 Nexus 7). It's easy and comfortable to hold and you aren't afraid that it'll slip out of your hands. The display has caught up to full HD so can't ask for much more there. With a Snapdragon 800 in the Nexus 5, it'll be a powerhouse of a phone for awhile I would think, especially with the optimizations of KitKat.

So forward thinking in the hardware department....not so much anymore. However, their concentration on user experience and look of the device have certainly improved. A good trade-off imo.

2. You can't argue that the GPE of both the One and S4 are top tier devices. You don't get that aluminum casing or expandable memory/removable battery of the s4, but I think you do still get quite a bit with the Nexus 5. If you want to pick at specifics, the Nexus 5 has the Snapdragon 800, that's something neither of the GPE phones have. I have to admit, it is the best looking phone out of the three, despite my disdain for LG.

3. Personally, the 15-day window doesn't bother me. I had that same return window with Verizon and had no regrets of picking up my s4. I don't know about anyone else here, but when I consider a device, I'm thinking the whole contract or at least until my next available upgrade. I've never bought a phone off contract that was brand new, so shelling out that kinda money, I would make sure I'd want the phone before hitting the "checkout" button. Maybe wait til the second batch of units to get out just to make sure everything is a bit more smooth.

4. Can't argue here. 2 of the main selling points as to why I chose the s4.

All that being said, I think the Nexus 5 is a huge step up for the Nexus phone line. Especially with all the flack that the Nexus 4 took spec-wise, I don't think anyone has anything to complain about with the Nexus 5. You're getting a big beautiful display with probably the top processor in the game. This phone is a powerhouse and will remain one for awhile.

jamjr74

Reaction score
I am a happy S4 user with Verizon but must admit although I love the service I am getting sick of the way Verizon operates! Waiting for software updates, changing phones around (LG G2) and not carrying the Nexus line. The biggest most expensive carrier should be leading the pack not hindering it's users! I have always preferred the Sd card and removable battery but in all reality I bet most people, like myself. don't even have a spare battery or need the Sd card. I grabbed a 32gb black Nexus 5 and am gonna try T-Mobile pre paid to save some cash. Im not really into rooting although I have done it so I am sure it will be a long time before my S4 would see Kit Kat from Big Red!!

77Pat

Reaction score
I am considering the Nexus 5 mostly on price and curiosity. I bought one from the play store with 3-4 weeks estimate, now it shows 2-3 weeks. I will keep an eye on Best Buy or Amazon to see if I can get one earlier (get charged tax at the Plays Store and Amazon).

I am on Verizon right now (unlimited data family plan), but am going to try the $30 T-mobile plan. I have an HTC Rezound which has seen better days (not eligible to upgrade until late June, or else I would consider the 6 GB plan being offered). I commute by 2 hours by train (each way) with no wifi. My charging port broke, and I have to swap batteries around 4 times a day. I also have two Anker external batteries, which I can use to charge the external charger. Although it is a bit much to carry around. According to Open Signal, my work is in an area of NYC which has no reception (the sliver around Turtle Bay).

I have been keeping an eye on Swappa, mostly for the Razr M, although not having a removable battery, I am not sure how the battery life is for the age of the device. Otherwise new, the Razr Mini and Maxx have caught my attention with the recent price drop.

I went into the Verizon store to see what is currently available. For personal size preferance/in hand feel I would order the devices: Moto X, LG G2, HTC One, Droid Mini/Droid Maxx, Note 2, S4...

I went for the 16 GB since it would end up being around $395 for the phone. If I went for the 32 GB, it would be close to $500...that would make it a tougher choice in terms of compromises (supposed battery/camera), compared to the Maxx (battery) and Moto X (i like the idea of Active Display, although I would probably go 16 GB for this one also.)

I already have a Spigen Ultra Hybrid case and the T-mobile SIM. I figure if coverage is not what I hope, then I can sell the device for a small loss on Swappa, and then buy one of the above phones for Verizon.

I am currently testing Sprint 3G/4G Mifi with FreedomPop (although it does not pick up LTE), and the coverage leaves much to be desired. My Rezound drops signals in a couple spots, but the Mifi is useless in many more. It serves as a good backup though (for a few dollars a month).

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
I might have been excited about the N5 if

A: It was coming to VZW

B: They kept the same form factor as the G2. Rear button placement, screen size and battery size.

Though I would prolly miss some of the features that make the G2 unique.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
on 2nd thought Best Buy lists the Sprint Nexus 5 for $799.99 outright <--- no I know best buy like to throw in their $100 cut but this is .... well yall know what it is

Dezy you made a very good point in your post to the point the pendulum swung back the other way.

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
I was getting ready too say,I know the N5 is not competing with the Note 3 in price.