CyanogenMod's Koush Moving Forward with App Store for Banned Apps Idea

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
cm-app-store-Developer_Console.jpg

Previously we shared a story detailing a great idea from "Koush" of the CyanogenMod team to create an app store that is geared primarily toward developers. We have interesting news regarding that story. Kousik Dutta decided to proceed with the idea and is currently developing an app store for banned apps and more. Apparently, he got so many positive responses to his idea that he felt compelled to make it happen. Here's a quote from the TechCrunch article with some additional details about the project,

An Android developer by the name of Kousik Dutta is building an alternative Android app store which will house the apps that have been banned from Google’s official Android Market. These will include the custom ROMs (customized versions of the Android OS), classic gaming emulators pulled due to copyright complaints, unofficial tethering apps removed at the behest of mobile operators, Visual Voicemail apps, one-click rooting apps, and more.

Source: TechCrunch and Google+ - Koush

Last edited:

ConqSoft

Reaction score
Reminds me of:

[video=youtube;5SH1j1luFOw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SH1j1luFOw[/video]

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
What apps are banned?

Only ones I can think of are tethering ones. But can't you get those from Amazon app?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
Once this will be completed, Jail Broken iPhones will lose the last advantage they have over Android which is Cidia (or however it spells)..

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
What apps are banned?

Only ones I can think of are tethering ones. But can't you get those from Amazon app?

They not really "banned" they are just hidden. I like the idea of the app store but my biggest concern is who is going to police it. Yes we are all "big boys and girls" and need to take responsibility for our devices. But want to make sure that this app store dont turn into a place for idiots to go releasing bad apps that cause issues. With that said I still think its a good idea and wish Koush luck.

Big Ry

Reaction score
They not really "banned" they are just hidden. I like the idea of the app store but my biggest concern is who is going to police it. Yes we are all "big boys and girls" and need to take responsibility for our devices. But want to make sure that this app store dont turn into a place for idiots to go releasing bad apps that cause issues. With that said I still think its a good idea and wish Koush luck.
+1 could turn into a malware haven

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
What apps are banned?

about 95% of one click rooting apps, tethering apps, apps like the old "gameboid" where you could play most console/handheld games on your phone, some free mp3 downloading apps (music junk) and im sure there are others...
i hope this works out, im tired of using a certain shady app in order to see and update "banned" and "hidden" apps i have, and it will also hopefully encourage the app developers to resume/continue working on these apps

ExodusC

Reaction score
As long as it's policed just enough to keep malware off the market, I don't see the problem.

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
As long as it's policed just enough to keep malware off the market, I don't see the problem.

As long as they don't charge us developers out the butt like the android market does i'm all for it :happy3:

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
How much does the AM charge you to put an app there?

25 just to set the account up then they take 33 percent of your profits so basically me and conap have boot manager which sells for 3 bucks everyone gets a dollar per download but google didn't do anything but provide hosting and they still take 33 percent which in my opinion is really high they also charge the 25 to setup the account to begin with

Sent from my evo 3d at 1.8ghz

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Yea so you better hope you have a successful app ha the 25 doesn't bother me I just think a third is high Imo which I think is a reason devs like me have written a key system which can be purchased via paypal but I guess still without them id make no money so really can't complain too much ha

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hmm and yet you have people looking to pirate apps because "developers are getting rich". Unless you strike gold like angry birds developers and are making money on multiple app stores, you are not gonna get rich making apps especially when you have people who reverse engineer apps and sell it cheaper. I think if kuosu and them can police it just enough and be fair with allowing devs to put apps on there we looking at something that could truly rival cydia.

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Yea I mean don't get me wrong I'm making decent money with boot manager and have been able to thwart piracy haven't seen a pirated version since 2.1 or whatever but the users have been annoyed by my security but I have made it much easier on the user in this next update

But still I can't complain I make more than any of my friends now and don't have to work a job this summer thanks to boot manager so it's pretty straight for a college student ha I still never was in this for the money kind if just been a fun hobby that ended up paying I just think it's unfair that they take that large a chunk for the hard work us app devs put in