Developer Shows Off Phone-to-Chromecast Video Streaming App

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;DMIsMjms_Zw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMIsMjms_Zw&feature=player_detailpage[/video]​

Here's a cool story we didn't quite get to yesterday. The famed developer Koushik Dutta is at it again. This time he has worked his magic on the new Chromecast. One of the most notably missing features of the new device was that it couldn't stream locally created photos and video directly from your phone to your Chromecast/TV combination. With one fell swoop, Mr. Dutta changed that. Above is a video of a custom app he created which streams directly from your Android phone to the Chromecast, allowing you to instantly share it on your TV through your local WiFI network.

Sadly, we will all have to wait on this great new app. The developer SDK beta currently forbids distributing APKs right now. Of course, we know eventually Google will open that up, so it's really just a matter of time.

Source: GoogleTVForum.org via AndroidCentral

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I think thats totally awesome. My son (who is about to turn 3) needs, and I mean NEEDS, to see every video I take on my phone as soon as its done recording. This would save me from him grabbing my phone and then running off with it. That dog however...zero F's given.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I can't wait to get mine, the possibilities of this thing seem very intriguing.

realged13

Reaction score
I have one and love it. I think it is going to take off quickly. I'd except by the end of the year, there will be a ton of apps.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'd also like to see him Chromecast videos that were not taken with the camera app from his phone; imaging going to a hotel, plugging in the Chromecast, and beaming your personal movies or tv shows from your phone to the hotel TV. Perhaps Netflix support? Possibilities are endless.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I'd also like to see him Chromecast videos that were not taken with the camera app from his phone; imaging going to a hotel, plugging in the Chromecast, and beaming your personal movies or tv shows from your phone to the hotel TV. Perhaps Netflix support? Possibilities are endless.

I think the last time I was in a hotel/motel was at least 8 years ago but this idea is AMAZING! I'm waiting for bestbuy to get more in stock to get the free Netflix promo. If I can't get one there, I'll just get it off Amazon and wait for it to get in stock.