Root Only App Store Could Be in the Works from CyanogenMod

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
droid-from-the-forums.jpg

According to some interesting discussions and rumors right here in the forums, the CyanogenMod team may be looking to develop and implement a Root Only App Store. Kousik Dutta developer of apps like rom manager recently made the following comments on his Google+ page,

“I’ve been bouncing this idea around for a while now, and it seems like an even better idea now, given my recent brush with this problem: we need an App Store for root apps. We also need an app store for apps that are getting shut down for no good reason, other than carrier, or some random corporation doesn’t like it.”

The beauty of this idea is that it creates a specialized niche app store tailored to developers, power-users and tinkerers. Share your thoughts on this fascinating idea.

Thanks for the tip, metalspring!

Source: DroidForums - Root only app store on the way? and The Android Crib

Last edited:

rmart88

Reaction score
Nice! that would be pretty sweet, especially to easily got those one click root apps that are out there around the web.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hmm, would be nice to see what apps virus and trojan exploit creators will come up with with this new store. [/sarcasm]

Be careful.

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Hmm, would be nice to see what apps virus and trojan exploit creators will come up with with this new store. [/sarcasm]

Be careful.

Yea didn't think of that myself he's gonna need to scan the market for things like that or i guess he would just let anything fly in there? Could be dangerous or a lot of work

I'm all for the root only app store especially since google bleeds us developers imo since google takes a third of what an app makes they actually get the same cut as me and conap and me and conap are who put in all the hard work they're just providing some hosting

jayman350

Reaction score
could be interesting having a root only marketplace. I would imagine that the CM team would have some sort of security in place to make sure that viruses and malware aren't spread through their market.

with the openness of android coming under attack from carriers and businesses who don't want end users messing w/ their product, i think a market dedicated to utilizing the full potential of these devices would be very useful (and potentially make CM some good money) and welcomed with open arms by the dev community.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If done right could be a great idea and away that roms, themers, and those dedicated to su crowd could get paid for their work. But like people pointed out, if the approach is "its not our concern to police root apps that may be malicious", then that could get dangerous.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Someone was telling me that Apple sortof already has this idea. Can someone who knows about Apple stuff elaborate? And, if that is the case, anyone wonder why this idea is only just now getting some attention. You would think this could/would have been done a long time ago.

Mark_V

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto G4 Plus
I maybe splitting hairs here but I believe his name is spelled Koushik Dutta.