cwm recovery or twrp recovery?

EL Lacost

Reaction score
I have used the cwm recovery before. its very simple and I like it, but twrp recovery looks soo cool and its all touch so my buttons wont get loose like in cwm recovery. Are there any major differences between these recoverys?

Rise Phoenix Rise

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Not a Samsung user, but it looks like TWRP is very similar in style to Safestrap, which is completely touch screen operated as well. CWM is rocker driven, but there were plug-ins for it in the RAZR version that gave it full touch screen operation. Now it has been incorporated into the actual CWM recovery, so I think it's only a matter of time before that feature is incorporated for you. I do like the look of TWRP.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I will say having used CWM on all my previous phones, using TWRP on my S4 has been awesome. Very easy to use and the touch buttons do make a difference. Only complaint I have is every once and awhile it will fail to boot into recovery just hang at the TWRP screen, but a reboot always does the trick.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7

hamann5

Reaction score
Hey guys I installed TWRP..I'm coming from a Motorola Droid 4 and I had Safestrap 3.11 installed on it. Is there any custom recoveries like Safestrap for the Galaxy S4 that will allow me to have Virtual ROM slots? (Ex. Stock Slot and then haveing ROM-Slot 1..ROM-Slot2....ect.) I hate haveing to flash between different ROMs and Stock ROM. I like how in safestrap I can just have all the ROMs available without haveing to flash them each time.

Thanks,
Jason

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Unfortunately not. The custom recoveries like twrp and cwm are your only options.

With that being said, if you make a backup of stock before you flash a ROM, and then make a backup of your ROM you can switch back and forth simply by restoring them.

Sent from my XT926 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
TWRP for me as well.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I used CWM for the first 3 years I owned Android phones because that's all I ever knew was out there. Then when I got the S3 last September people were talking about TWRP Recovery and I'd never heard of it, so I decided to check it out. Immediately fell in love with it and using TWRP ever since. I also have the fat finger syndrome. You can also get themes for TWRP too. Don't know of CWM does that or not.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I prefer twrp.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hey yall remember sp recovery.

[video=youtube;oZk6iAoW_TE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZk6iAoW_TE&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7

[video=youtube;oZk6iAoW_TE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZk6iAoW_TE&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

That's interesting. Never heard of it before.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Absolutely! SPR was great but the devs disappeared and Koush came out with CWR.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
That's interesting. Never heard of it before.

Never heard of spr?? Was the first recovery for the D1. I was thinking about this the other day....ahhh droidmod, forgot the original name though. Man those were the days. That group imploded big time....

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta