switching from cwm recovery to twrp recovery?

baldybill

Reaction score
From what I can tell, TWRP recovery seems to be the better and still plays nice with CM roms and my currend XenonHD Rom

I have the latest XenonHD, which is JB 4.2.1

Can someone point me to the steps or outline the steps for me to switch the recovery program from cwm to twrp without losing my current apps/settings? And get rid of any junk left by cwm (like backup blob files)?

Thanks!

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
The backups you will have to remove manually..... Is Ez Recovery available for the Nexus in the Play Store? I'm not sure if it is compatible with the Nexus or not..

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Your CWM backups will not work in TWRP. You're going to want to back those up in TWRP, so you'll be going back and forth between recoveries. Then when you're done, either delete your CWM ROMs or copy them to your hard drive. That's what I do.

OP
B

baldybill

Reaction score
Ok, what are the steps to installing the new recovery?

How do I switch between them?

OP
B

baldybill

Reaction score
Thanks for those instructions. Haven't tried them yet. Since I have CWM already, will this simply replace it with TWRP?

And also, once I install the TWRP, can I just do a new nandroid backup and then delete all the CWM related files?

Thanks

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Thanks for those instructions. Haven't tried them yet. Since I have CWM already, will this simply replace it with TWRP?

And also, once I install the TWRP, can I just do a new nandroid backup and then delete all the CWM related files?

Thanks
Yes, that's what I did. I had CWM first and then switched to TWRP using the method posted. Once I had TWRP installed I did a nandroid backup and deleted all my CWM recoveries. I switched to TWRP when I switched to JB ROMs so I pretty much started on a clean slate.

Nemo Aeternamn

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
you can also use the goo manager app to flash the twrp recovery... if you just go into the app hit menu.. and select install open recovery

OP
B

baldybill

Reaction score
That's cool that you can install it right from goo manager. Does it install the latest TWRP, 2.3.3.0?

CD95YJ

Reaction score
You can use ROM manager to switch recoveries too. I have the pro version so I don't know if the free version has the recoveries, but the pro version is worth it.