Current Verizon Subscribers Get To Keep Their Unlimited Data Plan Afterall?

GDP

Reaction score
Unlimited data for a feature phone is a different feature than unlimited data for smartphones. Just so everyone knows, I don't think they will let you keep the unlimited data if upgrading to a smartphone from a feature phone.

Sent from my Thunderbolt

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Unlimited data for a feature phone is a different feature than unlimited data for smartphones. Just so everyone knows, I don't think they will let you keep the unlimited data if upgrading to a smartphone from a feature phone.

Sent from my Thunderbolt

Yup the Verizon rep said the same thing though I don't see why they wouldn't let you keep unlimited data if you upgraded to a smartphone from a feature phone.

vzdroid13

Reaction score
I don think it was ever a question as to if current unlimited customers to keep their plan. Since that's been the only smartphone option for a year(not including the few who jumped on that 150 MB plan), they would have given millions of customers the ability to leave ETF free, and that's the LAST thing a carrier would ever do.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums

Jahmakan

Reaction score
This is the exact way at&t handled their tiered data change. People with unlt'd feature phone data CANNOT get the unlt'd smart phone plan once this for a into effect.

u4icpain

Reaction score
So wait. Does this mean if I don't upgrade my current 3g unlimited to 4g unlimited (by buying a new 4g phone) before July 7th...I will end up having to get a tiered 4g package?

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
No, you are perfectly fine if you decide to upgrade to a 4G phone later. You'll keep your unlimited plan even after the tiered plans go into effect if you decide to upgrade.

CyberEd55

Reaction score
I had an original Droid with unlimited and my wife had a dumb phone(envy touch) with $15 for 25 MB of data usage. I wasn't taking any chances so we went out this weekend and got 2 Samsung Charge smartphone and locked in unlimited on 4G network. When the Bionic finally comes out I will sell my Charge on Ebay and buy the Bionic at retail. I wasn't taking any chances, I think you are safe if you have a unlimited plan on 3g (your grandfathered in) but are we positive that upgrading to a 4g phone that takes a 4g SIM card, coming from a 3g smartphone is also grandfathered??? I didn't wait to find out and if it cost me extra when I buy the Bionic then so be it. But I have to say I am pleasantly surprised with this Charge. No complaints so far, got the car dock, house dock, and my otterbox commuter case will be here tomorrow...

jseah

Reaction score
I had an original Droid with unlimited and my wife had a dumb phone(envy touch) with $15 for 25 MB of data usage. I wasn't taking any chances so we went out this weekend and got 2 Samsung Charge smartphone and locked in unlimited on 4G network. When the Bionic finally comes out I will sell my Charge on Ebay and buy the Bionic at retail. I wasn't taking any chances, I think you are safe if you have a unlimited plan on 3g (your grandfathered in) but are we positive that upgrading to a 4g phone that takes a 4g SIM card, coming from a 3g smartphone is also grandfathered??? I didn't wait to find out and if it cost me extra when I buy the Bionic then so be it. But I have to say I am pleasantly surprised with this Charge. No complaints so far, got the car dock, house dock, and my otterbox commuter case will be here tomorrow...

No one that works outside Verizon corporate HQ can know for sure until the exact specifics are released, although the best guess is that you are good. While there are some specific 4G feature codes that get added (I believe to deal with the sim card, etc.), as far as the data plan goes, there is no difference between 3G and 4G. There is only one data plan.....well, actually two....one for Blackberries and one for every other smartphone.

PetRiLJoe

Reaction score
To answer the quoted question above, you are grandfathered until you upgrade your contract with Verizon Wireless.

It has little to do with the type of phone you own, aside from the fact that Verizon charges out the @$$ for a phone unless you have a new contract. Because of their system, most people get a new phone everytime they upgrade their contract.

When you renew your contract you will have to follow any new guidelines or restrictions they have implemented.

Well so far everything i've read seems to indicate that upgrading phones or renewing a contract for customers of verizon won't be effected. Of course until it's confirmed it is just that, a rumor.

Thanks for that addition. I took that into consideration and decided not to include it.

I hope the rumor is true, because I don't know if I will upgrade my contract before the new tiered plans and I'd like to save some money in the long run. But I recommend everyone plan for the worst of the two options and make your decision based on that, so that if you do get lucky and keep the unlimited plan then you're better off than expected.

CD95YJ

Reaction score
As far as having to take the new data plans when renewing, unless they change the way they do renewals entirely, you wont have to. I have literally been with Verizon since before they were Verizon here in Colorado (they started out as airtouch). There have been several times where I upgraded my phone and kept an outdated, less exspensive calling plan using the discounted phone price, and even though I was renewing a two year contract I was never forced into a new calling plan because all I changed was the phone. The only time I was forced into a new plan was when I went to the blackberry storm, but that's because I had to add data.

Now that being said I truely think if you change calling plans, say going with 1400 minutes rather than 2000 after the tiered data goes into effect you will lose unlimited data but that's because you are changing your plan.

The question I have is with a family plan and multiple smartphones will Verizon allow us to share unlimited data and only keep data on the main line and drop the others since it looks like that's how the tiered data will be working. It would be nice to save 29.99 per line but keep unlimited data.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Snow02

Reaction score
The question I have is with a family plan and multiple smartphones will Verizon allow us to share unlimited data and only keep data on the main line and drop the others since it looks like that's how the tiered data will be working. It would be nice to save 29.99 per line but keep unlimited data.

Absolutely not. While there's been discussion of shared data, there's been no details. The tiered plan information thus far is only for individual lines.

Vakharn

Reaction score

I am positive that if and when verizon does allow family plans to share data doing so will require you to swap to a teired plan.

Beka27

Reaction score

I am positive that if and when verizon does allow family plans to share data doing so will require you to swap to a teired plan.

I agree. While nothing has been released regarding the Family Data details, common sense dictates that they're not going to let 5 lines share one $29.99 unlimited plan.

My thoughts on the Family Share:
There will be a line charge for each phone sharing data, just like they have with minutes.
There may be a minimum plan to share data (for example: 2 phones can share the 2GB, 3+ phones must move up to the 5GB).
OR... the family data plan pricing may be different, so the extra line charges are already built into the cost.

Let's assume prices stay the same:
So the $50 plan for 5GB + $20 for two additional lines to share ($10 each line) = $70 for 3 phones to share data.

So you'll save some money, but Verizon is not going to make it SUPER COST-EFFECTIVE. They have no incentive to give away $60 worth of data.

Again, nothing official, just my thoughts and observations with the way VZW operates.

Charles2011

Reaction score

I agree. While nothing has been released regarding the Family Data details, common sense dictates that they're not going to let 5 lines share one $29.99 unlimited plan.

My thoughts on the Family Share:
There will be a line charge for each phone sharing data, just like they have with minutes.
There may be a minimum plan to share data (for example: 2 phones can share the 2GB, 3+ phones must move up to the 5GB).
OR... the family data plan pricing may be different, so the extra line charges are already built into the cost.

Let's assume prices stay the same:
So the $50 plan for 5GB + $20 for two additional lines to share ($10 each line) = $70 for 3 phones to share data.

So you'll save some money, but Verizon is not going to make it SUPER COST-EFFECTIVE. They have no incentive to give away $60 worth of data.

Again, nothing official, just my thoughts and observations with the way VZW operates.

Just got back from my local Verizon store after a long chat with CS, he found out that if you have unlimited now and you run a share plan. You will have to add anyone else on later when the share plan goes into effect, so 30$ now, then say someone needs upgrade in Dec. 30$ to start 2gb share plan even though the primary as unlimited. I would be happy if they just rolled it over and gave us an upper limit plan like the 5gb for 30$ ridiculous. Get everyone on unlimited now if you can and never change your package.