Current Verizon Subscribers Get To Keep Their Unlimited Data Plan Afterall?

Discussion in 'Android News' started by wicked, Jun 21, 2011.

1. ajk23az

ajk23az Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I talked to a Verizon rep a week ago and she told me the tiered pricing was coming out soon, wasn't sure when though, and it did.

She also told me that people with the unlimited data will be grandfathered in.

She also told me that whenever you upgrade to your next phone, you will have to switch to the tiered data pricing. Which sucks...

2. Nick D

Nick D Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Based on that then I truly am not grandfathered in. If that is the case then I will keep my OG1 running as long as I can. Unfortunately I can't upgrade until August. We shall see.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

3. ajk23az

ajk23az Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Correct.

I brought my father in to switch him to a smartphone and she said as long as he stayed on that one, he would be able to keep the unlimited data @ $29.99/month, but when he wanted to upgrade he would have to switch to the tiered pricing.

4. alitke

alitke Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Wait so do we get to keep our unlimited forever or just until we upgrade. When you say grandfathered does that not mean you get to keep it forever? This seems like you are not grandfathered at all if you are saying that you keep it until you buy a new phone.

I am only concerned about 3G and 4G. If I have a 3G phone on unlimited and I cannot upgrade until August 8th I have to get tiered pricing or I can I go from unlimited 3G to unlimited 4G?

So frustrating to see all these dumb changes.

5. ajk23az

ajk23az Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That's the term she used. "Grandfathered in" until you upgrade.

6. alitke

alitke Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That just sucks. I am using between 5-10gb a month on average. I am going to really have to start monitoring my usage.

7. wesdo2gg

wesdo2gg Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I can't tell you the last time I got a subsidized phone from any phone service provider I've been on. I always buy my devices outright and don't really see that changing anytime soon. If you do purchase outright, they can't change your package because you're not taking their feature phone upgrade. At least that's how I understand it.

Regardless, it's good that we're getting to keep our unl. data.

8. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,003
    They will definitely get you on an upgrade - "new" plan, technically.

But I could see them also getting you on activating a new device. We can debate the fairness, but plan "change" can be applied quite broadly.

9. ChiefIlliniwek5

Ratings:
    +1
    I don't understand what to make of this. The original post (if true) clearly states that all of us who are already on an unlimited data plan will get to keep it if we renew or upgrade our phones....so why are people still saying that we won't get to keep it if we upgrade?

10. jedihep

jedihep Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Because it's a rumor, and a rumor is still a rumor until it is a stated fact by Big Red. As a rumor people will debate and argue both sides until Verizon officially confirms or denies this. So until then. Everyone! Ready ..... on your mark ..... get set ..... debate!

11. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,003
    Nobody really knows for sure. I say it doesn't matter, because when VoLTE comes out and people consider saving $40 or whatever on voice plans they will be making a plan change, more than likely.

I don't see any way VZW is going to let MILLIONS of subscribers keep unlimited data at $30 forever.

Increasing value doesn't imply a decrease in prices. My home ISP is much faster and more enjoyable than the dial-up/DSL days, but I also pay more money.

12. QiG

QiG Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Wow, they really timed this perfectly to coincide with the 18 month (NE2 early upgrade) date for all of us that grabbed OG Droids on release. Since I'm due for early upgrade on 7/18 I was considering the Function if its coming out 7/24 as rumored but if moving to a new phone/4G bumps me out of the grandfather clause then I'll ETF my way out and onto a network that hasn't done tiered yet.

Search tags for this page

but subscribers who signed up for unlimited plans before verizon ditched them in 2012 can keep those plans

if i renew verizon with new phone do i lose my old plan if i

rumor that people on unlimited internet verizon will loose p

upgrade phone nationwide talk & text fs 1400 details

vedrizon data through contract renewals and upgrades

walmart renew verizon contract keep unlimited data