Current Verizon Subscribers Get To Keep Their Unlimited Data Plan Afterall?

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
So... is that based on your device? Like I have a 3G device with unlimited data. Does that mean I only have unlimited 3G data? But if I go to a LTE device I have both 3G and LTE unlimited?

It will be interesting to see what it is and how it works.

What I'm thinking is this:

Sometime this year vzw is going to come out with new plans. These new plans aren't going to work with current packages. (Like data) Then newer phones will require these new plans and you'll be forced to go from old to new plan if you want said phone. Kind of like with AC2 and NW.

So far from what they've stated that smartphone data is data. There is no difference to them between 3g and 4g, but then again that is also subject to rumor.

npro1464

Reaction score
Please let this be for feature phones. Verizon's website doesn't seem to differentiate between smartphone data and featurephone data when it comes to the unlimited plan so I hope I can just get data now and get a smartphone later.

I think you need the $30/month data plan to be grandfathered in. Just upgrade now! Or buy a Droid 1 or something, activate it, and there ya go.

R

RETG

The way I read the rumor is if you have a Droid X and upgrade to a Droid X2 (example), and make no changes, you are only renewing your contract, not changing it; thus you keep the same features including unlimited service.

However, if you make any changes like going from 250 to 500 text messages a month, or add LTE, you are now changing your contract and with that change, unlimited goes away.

jseah

Reaction score
I am inclined to believe the rumor that even when you upgrade, you will be able to keep the unlimited. After all, isn't that what AT&T did when they went to tiered data plans?

Charles2011

Reaction score
I have not gotten the data yet. I am looking into it, we have a family share plan, I wonder how it will work if I upgrade now to stay grandfathered then if they roll out a shared data package like I heard they might, will I still be grandfathered through to that. I don't want to jump to fast then end kicking myself or vice versa.

rev.buttons

Reaction score
as of 10 min ago, i had called my local verizon and asked if it was true that i will be able to keep my unlimited and he told me that they had not been notified of the change as of yet. when i asked how he didn't know, he replied that verizon releases their info to the stoeres late. i saw it this morning on the news and then on here, so if the news has it then the stores are waayyy behind

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
Talon, look at the tiered data plan this way:

Two lines of unlimited data is an extra $60/month on your plan. If you go to a family data share plan its only $30/month for 2gb. Even if you go over and get the extra $10 charge it still saved you $20 that month.

I have five lines and three of them have unlimited data at $90/month. We average 1.2-1.5gb per month. If I switch to the tiered plan I only pay $30/month and instantly save $60/month, plus I get data on my other two lines with no extra charge. My extra two lines are for my mom and dad so there won't be a huge impact in my data usage. Even if there is and we go over, I still saved $50 for the month.

Tiered data may not be great for single lines, but its fantastic for multi-line families IMHO.

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

loki993

Reaction score
Fact is no one knows for sure. Its all fine and good for reps and agent and people at the stores to say they wone differenciate between 3g and 4g data, but as well all know those people are notoriously wrong about a lot of stuff. We dont know if Verizon will consider someone going from 3g to 4g a plan change. Thast what I need to know.

Fact is until Verizon themselves release something offical clearly stating wheather or not switching to a 4g device from a 3g one constitutes a "plan" change or not or someone actually does it, this is all talk unfourtanatly.

Id really like to know before the 7th though, becasue if they do decide to put people on tiered for switching from 3g to 4g I have a decision to make.

Beka27

Reaction score
Even if they know, they're probably under strict orders to not release any info. It's much easier to say "I don't have any info on the changes" than "I know, but I can't tell you..." That makes them look like a jerk.

As it stands, my plan is absolutely perfect. $153 (including tax/fees/insurance) for two smartphones with 1400 shared minutes, unlimited text, and data. I don't ever want to change a single thing on my plan, so hopefully I won't have to.

I'm throwing around the idea of adding a line now, but that probably won't be feasible financially. Who adds a line for their child in the future, 5 years before they turn 13... lol...

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Two lines of unlimited data is an extra $60/month on your plan. If you go to a family data share plan its only $30/month for 2gb. Even if you go over and get the extra $10 charge it still saved you $20 that month.

I have five lines and three of them have unlimited data at $90/month. We average 1.2-1.5gb per month. If I switch to the tiered plan I only pay $30/month and instantly save $60/month, plus I get data on my other two lines with no extra charge. My extra two lines are for my mom and dad so there won't be a huge impact in my data usage. Even if there is and we go over, I still saved $50 for the month.

Tiered data may not be great for single lines, but its fantastic for multi-line families IMHO.

Unless things have changed, have they released that the pricing model for family shared data?

Beka27

Reaction score

Keep in mind that there will PROBABLY be a charge to share data. When you share minutes, each additional phone has to pay a $10 fee, so I'm expecting the same to be true of data. If so, you'd still save money, just not as much as you're calculating.

$30 for data
$20 for two additional phones to share that data... (assuming at $10 each line)
... SO $50 a month...
If you add mom and pop on too... that's $70 for 5 phones sharing 2GB

AGAIN... purely speculation, I just can't see VZW allowing you to throw in family members for free. As always, they need their cut.

Reaction score

Im with you, as long as there is a family share plan for data Im very much looking forward to it. Great way to save money on the monthly bill.

Nick

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
Beka, I do not have an extra charge for my extra lines to share minutes. The $10/month is for the line/number itself. I don't pay $10 for the line and $10 to have that line on my shared family account. It's a flat $10 + taxes and fees per month. My moms line has international calling for family and hers is $18 and my dads is plain Jane feature phone for $10. Not including taxes and fees.

jseah

Reaction score
Beka, I do not have an extra charge for my extra lines to share minutes. The $10/month is for the line/number itself. I don't pay $10 for the line and $10 to have that line on my shared family account. It's a flat $10 + taxes and fees per month. My moms line has international calling for family and hers is $18 and my dads is plain Jane feature phone for $10. Not including taxes and fees.

Or you can look at it this way. Verizon charges $20 per month for unlimited text on a single line. Or for $30 (an extra $10) you can get unlimited text on all lines in a family share plan. So that would lead one to believe that there would be an extra charge to a family share data plan versus the pricing for one line.