Cracked Screen!

rck76

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
There will be no more talk of insurance fraud, if there is, this thread will be closed.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

sb1831

Reaction score
i've had a cracked screen that was covered under warranty, the crack randomly appeared. Called Verizon, and they took the phone back with the disclaimer that i'd be charged full price if the found the phone was abused

OP
M

mkellypc

Reaction score
i've had a cracked screen that was covered under warranty, the crack randomly appeared. Called Verizon, and they took the phone back with the disclaimer that i'd be charged full price if the found the phone was abused
So what happened when you sent it in? They told me it was up to the returns department if I would be charged...but probably would perhaps there's a chance the won't.

kparks

Reaction score

This sounds right I don't think u talking to the right people try to talk to a supervisor.
Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

OP
M

mkellypc

Reaction score
This sounds right I don't think u talking to the right people try to talk to a supervisor.
Ive talked to supervisors in technical support and customer service..all start by saying how they're gonna take care of me and don't want me to have a brand new damaged phone...but they all eventually come to the same end result.
I've been very polite and patient each time I've called. I was in retail management for 10 years in the late '90's so know how to handle these situations. That's what's so frustrating...no one will step up and make the call to take care of tbe customer.

kparks

Reaction score
I'm against any kind of fraud but I'm for what's right and u are able to look at phones and tell if it's a defect or damage the galaxy nexus would have some kind of scratches or scuffs if it was dropped what kind of crack is it if the screen is totally shattered yes red flags for damage there is just one hairline crack across the screen it would look more like a defect. Have u tried calling samsung support?? I would not wait to call I would keep pressing the issue now till something gets done.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
If I knew that I did nothing to crack the screen, I would pursue any and all options until they flat out showed me the door. No matter what they tell you there could have easily been a defect in your screen. It's very possible there was a hair line crack from the factory that eventually spread because of heat that didn't exist until you started using the phone. Like someone else mentioned, show them that there are no scuffs or paint chips on the phone, proving that it wasn't dropped and I think you may have a decent case.

You don't have to commit fraud to get what's rightfully yours.

OP
M

mkellypc

Reaction score
I'm against any kind of fraud but I'm for what's right and u are able to look at phones and tell if it's a defect or damage the galaxy nexus would have some kind of scratches or scuffs if it was dropped what kind of crack is it if the screen is totally shattered yes red flags for damage there is just one hairline crack across the screen it would look more like a defect. Have u tried calling samsung support?? I would not wait to call I would keep pressing the issue now till something gets done.

One crack across the middle of the screen. Not a mark on the case . Didn't think about calling Samsung, is that a viable option?

jcardona1

Reaction score
As for insurance fraud? The only fraud being committed is BY the insurance companies. There ain't a damn thing wrong with discussing your options on a forum.

Nobody is on here planning a step by step cell phone heist. So go back to playing WoW where your level whatever character is just as awesome as you think you are :hail:

LOL seriously. I always love morality police on forums. They give me the giggles.

kparks

Reaction score
If I knew that I did nothing to crack the screen, I would pursue any and all options until they flat out showed me the door. No matter what they tell you there could have easily been a defect in your screen. It's very possible there was a hair line crack from the factory that eventually spread because of heat that didn't exist until you started using the phone. Like someone else mentioned, show them that there are no scuffs or paint chips on the phone, proving that it wasn't dropped and I think you may have a decent case.

You don't have to commit fraud to get what's rightfully yours.

Exactly there could of been a hairline crack off in the bezel that no 1 can even see and could of cracked with light use for example.. There are so many possibilities but if u did nothing to crack the screen I would press the issue and if u had no claims or problems before there should be no reason to not believe u if this happened to me I would be quite upset cuz there basically saying ur lying.

kparks

Reaction score
One crack across the middle of the screen. Not a mark on the case . Didn't think about calling Samsung, is that a viable option?

Def sounds like a defect to me then if u drop ur phone its way way way way more likely to have a spider web type crack. one crack going across sounds like a hands down defect to me especially with no damage.

jcardona1

Reaction score
Exactly there could of been a hairline crack off in the bezel that no 1 can even see and could of cracked with light use for example.. There are so many possibilities but if u did nothing to crack the screen I would press the issue and if u had no claims or problems before there should be no reason to not believe u if this happened to me I would be quite upset cuz there basically saying ur lying.

I think it will be hard getting warranty on this. Even though you're telling the truth, it will be hard to prove. What about dropping it on a wood floor? I doubt a wood floor would scuff/knick the casing, yet could still crack the screen.

prowler85

Reaction score
If you are within 30 days, close your Asurion insurance, get a Squaretrade warranty, wait a few weeks, then claim. Just keep the Squaretrade Warranty and use them in the future so they at least get the business. It would be cheaper over the long haul anyway. They provide the same warranty as Asurion at about half the price.

Which you would have to be within 30 days....duh. It's only been out a week. Unless you're GSM..... :)

sb1831

Reaction score
So what happened when you sent it in? They told me it was up to the returns department if I would be charged...but probably would perhaps there's a chance the won't.

I sent the phone in and called it a day. Taking my chances was a lot better than simply paying the retail cost on the phone. My crack was a weird one though It started mid screen and then went to the bottom edge of the glass. It DID help that I sent in pictures of how the phone had cracked in such a random place.

I would argue that the phone had shipped with a microfracture in the screen and the pressure exerted across the screen from being in your pocket caused the fracture to expand cracking your screen. Worst thing that happens is you terminate your contract with them.

Lenagainster

Reaction score
I have read posts on the Razr forum of cracked screens, and figured it was just a matter of time before I'd start seeing them on the Nexus forum. I believe the OP when he/she says the phone was not abused. The design is flawed, as I pointed out in this post
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/htc-rezound/188710-thin-may-but.html
I
f the OP would search the Razr and Nexus forums for more posts on cracked screens, there may be some evidence of design flaws in these two phones.