Cracked Screen!

mkellypc

Reaction score
Hello! First time poster. Got My Nexus Friday after ordering Thursday morning. By mid-morning Saturday I had a cracked screen. Verizon refuses to help, says cracked screen automatically means customer abuse. Thought I had insurance but apparently I did not. I have few options now. Additional $300 if I send it back to Verizon and they replace it. I would just replace the screen but there seems to be none available yet. Anyone with any ideas?
I'm coming from a Droid X which took all kinds of abuse. I really want to love this phone but not starting out too well.
Thanks in advance.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
How'd you crack the screen in less than 24 hours, I hold mine like a new born.

Apparently the screen is nearly impossible to fix on your own, it's attached to a lot more than normal screens are when they released the break down.

Verizon said you could send it off to them for $300? I'd say that's your cheapest option, as the only other way would be to buy a new one at $649.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
How did you crack the screen?
would also like to know this.

Also if you had insurance, you would've signed for it. If you had insurance on your X, then it should've transferred over to the Nexus. Pics of the poor Nexus?

jcardona1

Reaction score
Verizon refuses to help, says cracked screen automatically means customer abuse.

Of course it does. No other way to explain a cracked screen, unless it arrived cracked, which it didn't. File an insurance claim, if you have it. That's what it's for.

OP
M

mkellypc

Reaction score
Source of crack is not clear. It was in my front pocet (as I've always carried my phones) with the silicone cover on it. Went shopping with the wife, noticed a small crack on the side which soon spread all the way across. My local verizon dealer confirmed that it looked like no abuse. it was purchased over the phone so thats where the mix up happened on insurance. I just have a problem with Verizon telling me that crack can only be from abuse whice means to me that every device is 100% flawless as far as the screen goes. Maybe mine was put in slightly mis-aligned and normal pressure caused it? Been with Verizon 14 years and my total Verizon bill (Fios, land line, internet, 5 cell lines) is $600+ a month and they don't want to give me the benefit of the doubt and take care of a customer!

phillyphill39

Reaction score
Its because it cost them money if they replace the phone for you for free. I work for att warranty and it doesn't matter how long they've been a customer 1 day or 10 years. A crack is a crack which voids the warranty. Too bad you can't add insurance. I'd fight about that so you can at least make an insurance claim.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

jcardona1

Reaction score
Source of crack is not clear. It was in my front pocet (as I've always carried my phones) with the silicone cover on it. Went shopping with the wife, noticed a small crack on the side which soon spread all the way across. My local verizon dealer confirmed that it looked like no abuse. it was purchased over the phone so thats where the mix up happened on insurance. I just have a problem with Verizon telling me that crack can only be from abuse whice means to me that every device is 100% flawless as far as the screen goes. Maybe mine was put in slightly mis-aligned and normal pressure caused it? Been with Verizon 14 years and my total Verizon bill (Fios, land line, internet, 5 cell lines) is $600+ a month and they don't want to give me the benefit of the doubt and take care of a customer!

Hmm so you don't have insurance right now? What I would do, add the insurance, wait a few days/weeks, then file the claim.

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Hmm so you don't have insurance right now? What I would do, add the insurance, wait a few days/weeks, then file the claim.

Which is fraud lol. Tread lightly with that one, Assurion is not one to mess with. They will check which phone has been active on the account to determine when the device was damaged, I learned the hard way.

jcardona1

Reaction score
Which is fraud lol. Tread lightly with that one, Assurion is not one to mess with. They will check which phone has been active on the account to determine when the device was damaged, I learned the hard way.

I say, meh. If you're gonna lose sleep over it, don't do it. He's getting screwed over on a technicality anyways. That's why we pay the large deductible and the monthly premium. If the phone is semi-usable, keep it active and use it regularly.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Bummer, seems like it was a legit flaw.

OP
M

mkellypc

Reaction score
One of the MANY reps I talked to over the last couple of days told me to just take out the insurance then file a claim...says they tell people to do that all the time I did and asurian denied me...said tbey could tell I bought insurance after the damage???? The phone does still work

bemenaker

Reaction score
If you called verizon support there would have been notes left on your account about why you called.

K

killabyte

...said tbey could tell I bought insurance after the damage???? The phone does still work

Ya think???

Buys phone.
Buys insurance 2 days later.
1 hour after insurance files a claim.

You got to plan ahead dude, be Don Juan DeLanooch when you're scheming. Always think ahead when you're social engineering someone.

OP
M

mkellypc

Reaction score
Ya think???

Buys phone.
Buys insurance 2 days later.
1 hour after insurance files a claim.

You got to plan ahead dude, be Don Juan DeLanooch when you're scheming. Always think ahead when you're social engineering someone.
I understand that, but the way the rep talked this was normal occurance...and my thought process was clouded from all the frustration I was going thru.
Wonder what would happen if I lost it in a few weeks......