Cracked Screen!

jedgtucker

Reaction score
I just found this post because I also had a crack in my screen appear on my Galaxy Nexus out of nowhere. I am 110% sure it was not from any kind of abuse. I love this phone and have taken care of it like its a newborn baby. Never dropped, sat on, put in pocket with keys, etc. Whats worse, is the crack, just a couple millimeters at first is continuing to grow. Now it is about an inch long. I watched a Netflix movie over LTE and the phone was very hot and the crack doubled in size during this period. Its good to know that this sounds like some sort of defect and I am not the only one who is experiencing this, however if Verizon is saying this is from abuse then not sure how to prove that is wrong. I do have insurance, but I think there's a $100 deductible. Have not contacted Verizon customer support or visited a store yet, would like to come in with some ammo.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
Thin makes a phone easier to bend and possibly break something. Long makes it easier to bend and break something. Light weight uses materials that have a lower modulus and therefore can bend more easily, unless the main frame is titanium or carbon fiber. Combining the 3, like in the RAZR and Nexus and you are asking for trouble if you keep it in a tight pants pocket or a rear pocket. As the thin, large and light weight trend continues, expect to hear a lot more of this. I consider this a design and marketing defect, as the manufacturer should know how people use these phones without abusing them.

dustinslee

Reaction score
This worries me makes me think the nexus is fragile!? I may wanna reconsider this phone

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
This worries me makes me think the nexus is fragile!? I may wanna reconsider this phone

You can always buy a case and screen protector if you're worried about it.

Caligula2008

Reaction score

It is not fragile. Mine has been very durable for pockets and all with no protection of any kind this sounds like particular units that just have a problem which exist

KeepItReal

Reaction score
I believe you can add insurance within 30 days of purchase. Add it online. Call in the claim some days after. All they seem to be able to stop are phones that are totally destroyed/not working or lost/stolen and they try to add insurance. It appears they know if a call has not be made after the insurance was added.

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sounds like its just a few,like the voicemail prob im having-but i hope they(vzw)do the rite thing-ill b prayin 4 favor 4 the both of u,God Bless

kparks

Reaction score
Op... let us know the outcome...

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

GenieAngel

Reaction score
Actually you have a month to purchase insurance on ANY kind of device you purchase ANY where. Cell phone, gadget, or other item where they sell an extended warranty. Personally I don't think you should even have to buy the insurance, but now I'm glad I did, but plenty of people are technically purchasing the insurance when something already went wrong. It's one freebie you get in life but only for the first month you own something. This happened with a used car I bought at a dealership. A few weeks of having the car I noticed the transmission was slipping and I went back to the dealership distraught because I had wanted the warranty and the loan wouldn't cover it so they removed it. They said no problem, if you pay for the extended warranty they still have to give it to you for the first 30 days, something that was in my right to do since it had been less than a month that I purchased the car.

On the other hand, when I was in the mall yesterday I saw a cracked screen on the wall of some store with the words "cracked screen" no problem, and they fix them. I was surprised because I thought you had to throw away a phone once the screen cracks... I never knew it was something fixable.

ITA about the giving you the benefit of the doubt and being such a great customer all these years, it's ridiculous they won't do anything for you and I would escalate it to higher and higher unless you just take the insurance route. You can also try going to more than one verizon store, different managers react differently. $300 to you is A LOT... $300 to them is NOTHING. And I'm sure you didn't do anything unless it actually fell. I decided to insure it for the first year and then may take it off.

I also want to mention that this phone is so big that I'm afraid to keep it in my pants pocket like I usually have done with previous phones. I'm afraid it will slide out. I bought the holster where you put the phone in backwards so it's protected front and back in case of a fall. (glass completely enclosed). I like clips anyway because not all my pants have pockets. It's not hard to get out either. With this holster the case has a little easel on the back so you can rest your phone upright or sideways. Really loving that feature and it's easy to push out and push in.

Good Luck

Bixby

Reaction score
Dropped my naked GNex on Christmas Eve while taking my baby girl out of the car. Fell flat on the screen & cracked it. Already claimed Asurion insurance & paid the $99.00 deductible. NOT. HAPPY.

Sent from my GNex with a cracked screen :-(

Reaction score
Dropped my naked GNex on Christmas Eve while taking my baby girl out of the car. Fell flat on the screen & cracked it. Already claimed Asurion insurance & paid the $99.00 deductible. NOT. HAPPY.

Sent from my GNex with a cracked screen :-(

i've got that insurance through verizon too. do they at least give you a new one, or is it a refurb. i'm thinking refurb, but it should be new since they charge $100 deductible.

713King

Reaction score
i've got that insurance through verizon too. do they at least give you a new one, or is it a refurb. i'm thinking refurb, but it should be new since they charge $100 deductible.

I would think new.

If my droid bionic is messing up and loses 4g a lot and sometimes turns off on its own and can't turn it back on without me taking out battery and putting back in. Would it be hard for me to claim through Verizon since the frame of the phone has some dents from when it fell when I got out the car? Will they make some bs excuse and say well its doing that because it seems you dropped it......

hookerdj

Reaction score
when you switch phones i just wet through this. when you switch phones you cancel out your warranty. you have to readd your insurance, because going from one device to the next it doesnt work like that. Well that is how it was explained to me.