buryboi

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
droidtwoglobalgetrdonedevteam.webs.com
Possible Workaround

This seems to be working for me on My droid 2. I found it mentioned here but the instructions weren't all that clear.

Step 1:You must be rooted, follow one of the may guides around here, and do it at your own risk. If you don't want to take those risks buy Touchdown from the Market.

Step 2:Find a deodexed EmailGoogle.apk. What I have is from FRG22D that was floating around these forums. That is the email app from the Droid 1, that worked mostly flawlessly. (unfortunately it doesn't have all the security features of the new app, but what good are those if you cant get email)

Step 2a:On your PC, open the .zip from the above link, look in the /system/app/ folder and pull out EmailGoogle.apk.

Step 3:Using Root Explore or Terminal copy EmailGoogle.apk to /system/app/

Step 4: Change permissions to rw-r--r-- Again using terminal or root explorer or whatever.

Step 5:Reboot phone and open the new email app, it is yellow as opposed to the Default Red one.

Step 6: Input your account info and enjoy your corporate account pushing.

Mine has been up for about 2 hours, the legacy email app has synced several times and I have yet to receive a notification on the default program.

Why Motorola screwed this up in the first place... I have no idea. At this point this is, I guess, a proof of concept that the Blur email app has issues, not Android itself. I'd be happy to write a more in depth how too if this ends up working permanently.

eteusch1

Reaction score
This seems to be working for me on My droid 2. I found it mentioned here but the instructions weren't all that clear.

Step 1:You must be rooted, follow one of the may guides around here, and do it at your own risk. If you don't want to take those risks buy Touchdown from the Market.

Step 2:Find a deodexed EmailGoogle.apk. What I have is from FRG22D that was floating around these forums. That is the email app from the Droid 1, that worked mostly flawlessly. (unfortunately it doesn't have all the security features of the new app, but what good are those if you cant get email)

Step 2a:On your PC, open the .zip from the above link, look in the /system/app/ folder and pull out EmailGoogle.apk.

Step 4: Change permissions to rw-r--r-- Again using terminal or root explorer or whatever.

Step 5:Reboot phone and open the new email app, it is yellow as opposed to the Default Red one.

Mine has been up for about 2 hours, the legacy email app has synced several times and I have yet to receive a notification on the default program.

Why Motorola screwed this up in the first place... I have no idea. At this point this is, I guess, a proof of concept that the Blur email app has issues, not Android itself. I'd be happy to write a more in depth how too if this ends up working permanently.

I just did this. Emails seem to be coming in correctly now. One problem that I found is the emailgoogle.apk has the wrong icons in the menu, but it still works.

OP
F

feerlessleadr

Reaction score

I can't get this to work. Whenever I try to add my exchange info, I get either a username or password incorrect or when I try manual setup i get an error that the application has stopped unexpectedly.

Any ideas?

buryboi

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
I haven't had that problem, but make sure you don't have SSL checked if your server doesn't support it.

As an alternative to using EmailGoogle.apk you can go to market and install Improved Email. It is very similar and is pulling my corporate email as well. This also is customizable (account color and a few other things).

This is an easier method of getting corporate sync without Touchdown

OP
F

feerlessleadr

Reaction score
thanks for the info on the improved email app.

Push seems to be working for me for the first time when not plugged in.

buryboi

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
At first I thought something could be wrong with the way the factory corporate sync interacts with the Battery manager, Like Fearless said, push seems to work (at least more consistently) when plugged in.

I thought that maybe battery manager was somehow accidentally getting stuck in night mode and never coming back out. To test this theory I removed battery manager. While the phone works fine without it, it doesn't help the sync problems. I also removed Performance Manager (the moto task manager) and that did nothing as well. Thats when I thought, "eh what the heck, lets try EmailGoogle.apk, it worked on my Droid 1!" Indeed that worked, so now I assume that it is the motorola corporate sync app itself and not some external library is the cause of the problem...The real question is, if the old apk works, and the new one has issues for so many people, why did moto change it at all?

Regardless of the why, Improved Mail gets me what I need and should be helpful to those that aren't rooted and don't want to install full Touchdown. Thanks to mtwebster for making that! It's a very useful App.

BWhite50

Reaction score
After trying to call Motorola and Verizon to get this issue resolved, I walked into Verizon to talk to the guy I bought the pro from. He said simply "delete the account and reinstall because there was a glitch in the software update in early december." This update didn't hit my pro until about 3 weeks ago but I did as he said and mine's working fine now. Hope this helps.

StingRay

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.. please monitor and let us know if this continues because others have done the same without much success..

Sent from my DROID PRO using Tapatalk

Mikeurl

Reaction score
seems to be working

After trying to call Motorola and Verizon to get this issue resolved, I walked into Verizon to talk to the guy I bought the pro from. He said simply "delete the account and reinstall because there was a glitch in the software update in early december." This update didn't hit my pro until about 3 weeks ago but I did as he said and mine's working fine now. Hope this helps.

I have a Droid X on 2.2 and all was well with fetch for at least a month and then a day or two ago it quit working. i could go in to the account and manually sync and that would work fine but it was not fetching every 15 minutes as it had been.

I deleted the account and reinstalled about 2 hours ago. It seems to be working now. i guess if you're banging your head on the wall with this one it can't hurt to give this a try. I'll check back in if it stops working again.

Even if this does fix it I think Motorola should be working on this day and night because people need to be able to depend on their email and I use a distinctive sound to let me know when work emails come in.

mmf25

Reaction score
Does it make any difference if you're on Exchange 2003 ,2007 or 2010? We've been experiencing the same issue with corporate sync as well as the Improved Email client and Touchdown. I don't understand how Motorola could be unwilling or uncapable of pushing out a fix! Does anyone have an update? I am in desperate need of a short term fix.

Last edited:

andy'sfriend

Reaction score
Does it make any difference if you're on Exchange 2003 ,2007 or 2010? We've been experiencing the same issue with corporate sync as well as the Improved Email client and Touchdown. I don't understand how Motorola could be unwilling or uncapable of pushing out a fix! Does anyone have an update? I am in desperate need of a short term fix.

I'm on Exchange 2003 at work and I use the Improved Email app and have been having a better experience with emails being "pushed" to the Pro. The stock email app is a non-starter, in my opinion. Which version of Exchange are you running?

Tabula

Reaction score
I didn't read through the whole thread as I solved mine after the second page when I suddenly realized that it could be the Advanced Task Killer app I installed. It was set to safe, but my DroidX showed the same type of effects explained by others. Sometimes mail worked, others not. Battery on nighttime or performance etc.

Uninstalled the task killer and rebooted. Email pushing fine now.

RadYOacTiVe

Reaction score
Be sure to report back. I do not have a third party Task Killer installed and have no boxes checked in the included task killer and I have the push problem. My guess is that you will see the problem shortly.

I didn't read through the whole thread as I solved mine after the second page when I suddenly realized that it could be the Advanced Task Killer app I installed. It was set to safe, but my DroidX showed the same type of effects explained by others. Sometimes mail worked, others not. Battery on nighttime or performance etc.

Uninstalled the task killer and rebooted. Email pushing fine now.

Tabula

Reaction score
Be sure to report back. I do not have a third party Task Killer installed and have no boxes checked in the included task killer and I have the push problem. My guess is that you will see the problem shortly.

Still working just fine.